Fix The Canucks Cap 2020 Offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Fix The Canucks Cap 2020 Offseason

Post by SKYO »

Buyout Sutter, save...
Eriksson in Utica, save a mill.
Baertschi in Utica, save another mill? or could be traded if a team misses out on a 3rd line winger via UFA.
Benn likely dealt.

What other ideals we got.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Fix The Canucks Cap 2020 Offseason

Post by ESQ »

I think Loui retires and Sven goes to Europe.

That alone allows the Canucks to re sign everyone, and opens a roster winger spot. I could see MacEwan on the roster come opening night.

Benn can easily be traded to make room, I think Stecher will stay due to weak RD depth.

The roster looks like it's just begging for a winger-for-RD trade though...

I would hope there's no buy outs, they'll need every last dollar the season after next.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Louie, Sutter and Ferland on LTIR
Cap problems? What cap problems?
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:55 pm Louie, Sutter and Ferland on LTIR
Cap problems? What cap problems?
What’s with Louie??
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:52 pm I think Loui retires and Sven goes to Europe.

That alone allows the Canucks to re sign everyone...
This. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:47 pm
ESQ wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:52 pm I think Loui retires and Sven goes to Europe.

Not on injured reserve though...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rats19 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:49 pm

Well he could end up on LTIR after Cherry Picker is finished with him!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Something I've noticed but don't see anyone talking about...

This is the first time ever that most signing bonuses are paid before the buyout window.

Meaning, if Loui were traded (with big sweetener of course) to a team that would then buy him out

... the total cost will be $3M cheaper than normal (in his case).

Recall Marleau being traded by the Leaves to the Canes last year on the understanding he would be bought out.

Now I personally don't see this happening with Loui, but it could happen with some other NHLers this year.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It will be interesting to see Elmer tap dance around the upcoming cap issues. Personally I’d like to see them keep all of Tanev, Toffoli and Jakob. I guess we’ll see what the collateral damage is to keep all three guys. It might be too much. I like Tanev but he’s busted up more than he’s healthy so I wouldn’t want to commit more than 2 or 3 years. I wouldn’t go over 5 for Tanev. Not because he isn’t worth it, because he is. But he’s always nicked up and will be 31. IMHO he’s still the best RH D man on the team, but he is declining. Toffoli and Markstrom I’d prefer to see signed to 4 year deals. Maybe five if the dollars were in the 5 - 5.5 million range.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:59 pm
rats19 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:49 pm

Well he could end up on LTIR after Cherry Picker is finished with him!
Anyone know what Jeff Gillooly is up to these days?
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Mr Aquilini should change Loui's job description from 'no work' to 'no show.'
el rey del mambo
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I wouldn’t get too attached to Gaudette, Virtanen, Demko or Juolevi, Rafferty, Lind. If they want to shake lose some cap, it’s going to cost. Teams will want cheap young guys that have actually proven they can play or prospects with a bit of upside.

Even Ratbones could be a disposable asset. This will be a turbulent off season whenever the hell it happens. It will be a game of musical chairs like we’ve never seen. A lot of teams in cap purgatory and some of these teams internal budgets that are more reliant on gate $$ than others. Some owners can bleed for a while. Others, not so much.

Aquilini has scratched the check when needed. That can’t be overlooked.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

One of my concern's in this cap dilemma is the goalie situation with the Seattle expansion draft looming in 2021 where we gotta expose a goalie and can only protect one.

1) Marky re-signs 1 year, protect Demko. Marky is theoretically saved, as he'll be a UFA, then by then the team can decide on who to keep long-term moving forward. Noting DiPietro and Silovs are developing for another couple years.

2) They say fuck it and re-sign Markstrom long-term, thinking can they can trade picks/prospect or a high quality roster player to protect both goalies, that would be shitty and hasn't worked well except for the expansion team - they win those deals 9 times outta 10.

3) My big fear is losing Demko to a team in a cap dump deal (Loui), and seeing Demko go all Binnington somewhere else as Demko is ready soon to breakout for a good solid 10 years, he's got the skills, the height, flexibility, the sharpness, the attitude, the ice cold demeanor to take over games and ultimately many series. And he's developing at a much quicker pace than Marky has in his career.

Marky has been excellent, but is it enough to lead this team to a championship? To this, I look at another situation with the Penguins and their former 1st overall pick/goalie Marc-Andre Fleury and his young mentor Murray. Both stellar, but they sacrificed MAF in the expansion and kept the younger netminder, he's cheaper and still had the capability to win a Cup.

Which is why I could see Marky being sacrificed to keep Demko to go with long term, as we got a young core here who can contend for many years.
While Marky likely is going to want his big payday at $5.5M-$6M per, and Demko likely signs a bridge deal on the low AAV, where we can re-sign him later on to bigger money once most of the Canucks contracts expire in 2, 3 years.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Must resign Markstrom and protect him over Demko...gut feeling.

I know we gave up a pretty penny but Toffoli is a luxury. Use him for these playoffs then bye.

Edler is done after this year. Somehow must re-sign Tanev if he's fair about it.

Stecher is too expensive now. Would he play for 500k less?

Rathbone should make the big team for 20/21, can save some there

The Eriksson and Beagle contracts are tough. Maybe they can play themselves in to trades with stellar playoff performances.. :oops:

I don't know , Skyo. It's not the off season yet. The playoffs may happen but maybe not. It makes a huge difference.

I figured there would have been a few more retirements around the league by now.
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Micky wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:11 pm Must resign Markstrom and protect him over Demko...gut feeling.
Must keep Demko even if it means watching Marky walk... gut feeling.
We have very different bacteria in our guts.

If Toffoli will sign for a decent contract, and if they have enough cap space, he should be the priority.
Toffoli might want to sign in California where his wife works. Benning would need to sign him before the UFA window opens because the Canucks can’t afford to be involved in a bidding war. He’s a luxury, but he really completes the top six well.

Having said that, none of the big three UFAs are “must signs”. The future is with the RFAs - Petey, Hughes, Gaudette, Virtanen, MacEwen, and maybe Stecher. Getting the cap in order to take care of the RFA contacts will see a number of UFAs moving out over the next few years. If Benning makes offers to UFAs, they should be team friendly, take it or leave it deals. Benning can’t afford to keep his core youth if he hands out long term big bucks deals to UFAs, including Marky, Toffoli and Tanev. Once Petey and Hughes and the other RFAs are signed they can figure out who they can afford to fill in around them.