NHL business

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: NHL business

Post by Strangelove »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:11 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:03 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:00 pm Wasn't Toffoli understood to be a rental when he was acquired?
I thought Jimmy said a while back they've talked to Toffoli's camp about the possibility of an extension?
Yes I think I remember reading that too, though I didn't put much stock in it since I can't see how it would be possible without letting Markstrom walk. Which I really hope doesn't happen. I'm assuming it was just a due diligence sort of talk.

I'm ready for one year of cap pain. Do your worst!
If you just believe Loui will retire... then you will also believe we have money for all our UFAs.

Take my hand and take that step of faith with me.

Feels good man. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Markstrom signing means Demko’s departure in the not too distant future. It’d be sad to finally develop a starting goalie and then see him blossom on another team. Not sure I’m in for that, so if they sign only one of Toffoli, Tanev or Markstrom. I think I’d go with Toffoli. He fits the top six really well and he brings cup experience. They might have to get rid of Louie’s cap hit to sign more than one of those UFAs. Many things could happen, so we’ll have to wait and see. Maybe Louie packs it in or gets moved. Maybe contracts will be tight because of reduced revenue and the new CBA, and some good players will be willing to sign one year deals. Those would both help a lot with the expansion draft around the corner.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:32 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:11 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:03 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:00 pm Wasn't Toffoli understood to be a rental when he was acquired?
I thought Jimmy said a while back they've talked to Toffoli's camp about the possibility of an extension?
Yes I think I remember reading that too, though I didn't put much stock in it since I can't see how it would be possible without letting Markstrom walk. Which I really hope doesn't happen. I'm assuming it was just a due diligence sort of talk.

I'm ready for one year of cap pain. Do your worst!
If you just believe Loui will retire... then you will also believe we have money for all our UFAs.

Take my hand and take that step of faith with me.

Feels good man. :drink:
I think we may have to show Loui the bright lights of Utica. But yes, I like this retirement idea very much. Let it be so.
el rey del mambo
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:37 pm Markstrom signing means Demko’s departure in the not too distant future. It’d be sad to finally develop a starting goalie and then see him blossom on another team.

Not sure I’m in for that, so if they sign only one of Toffoli, Tanev or Markstrom. I think I’d go with Toffoli. He fits the top six really well and he brings cup experience.

They might have to get rid of Louie’s cap hit to sign more than one of those UFAs. Many things could happen, so we’ll have to wait and see. Maybe Louie packs it in or gets moved. Maybe contracts will be tight because of reduced revenue and the new CBA, and some good players will be willing to sign one year deals. Those would both help a lot with the expansion draft around the corner.
Singing Toffoli also allows JB to trade Virtanen in 2021 offseason when his value likely goes up as he improves and big boy Podkolzin takes his spot to develop his craft on the 3rd line in 2021/22.

Another plus re-signing Toffoli is it gives Boeser some "load management" time as he has Tanev's luck.
Ultimately having both Toffoli and Boeser on the squad makes the Canucks a much deadlier team to try to contain.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:37 pm Markstrom signing means Demko’s departure in the not too distant future. It’d be sad to finally develop a starting goalie and then see him blossom on another team. Not sure I’m in for that, so if they sign only one of Toffoli, Tanev or Markstrom. I think I’d go with Toffoli. He fits the top six really well and he brings cup experience. They might have to get rid of Louie’s cap hit to sign more than one of those UFAs. Many things could happen, so we’ll have to wait and see. Maybe Louie packs it in or gets moved. Maybe contracts will be tight because of reduced revenue and the new CBA, and some good players will be willing to sign one year deals. Those would both help a lot with the expansion draft around the corner.
It's at least as likely Demmer becomes a journeyman backup or maybe a 1A as it is he becomes a starter of the caliber of last season's Markstrom though, Markstrom was all world last year and stole a tidy handful of games for us. I know we all like to be optimists when it comes to player development but Benning is getting paid the big bucks to get results and he needs great goaltending to do it. I don't think he can gamble on an unproven Demko at this point. In fact I'm sure he can't.
el rey del mambo
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:56 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:37 pm Markstrom signing means Demko’s departure in the not too distant future. It’d be sad to finally develop a starting goalie and then see him blossom on another team. Not sure I’m in for that, so if they sign only one of Toffoli, Tanev or Markstrom. I think I’d go with Toffoli. He fits the top six really well and he brings cup experience. They might have to get rid of Louie’s cap hit to sign more than one of those UFAs. Many things could happen, so we’ll have to wait and see. Maybe Louie packs it in or gets moved. Maybe contracts will be tight because of reduced revenue and the new CBA, and some good players will be willing to sign one year deals. Those would both help a lot with the expansion draft around the corner.
It's at least as likely Demmer becomes a journeyman backup or maybe a 1A as it is he becomes a starter of the caliber of last season's Markstrom though, Markstrom was all world last year and stole a tidy handful of games for us. I know we all like to be optimists when it comes to player development but Benning is getting paid the big bucks to get results and he needs great goaltending to do it. I don't think he can gamble on an unproven Demko at this point. In fact I'm sure he can't.
Why these playoffs will be the proving grounds for Marky. To see if he has that killer instinct, he's never won anything yet being a #1 iirc, from overseas, junior, national, the AHL he got to the Calder Cup but lost, while in the NHL Markstrom has taken till he was 30 to be a capable #1.

I believe Demko won't take as long, still believe he has more upside than Marky, he's proven in every league he just gets better and better quickly.
He helped Boston College advance to the NCAA Frozen Four twice (2014, 2016), was a finalist for the 2016 Hobey Baker Award and won the Mike Richter Award as the NCAA's most outstanding goalie. His 10 shutouts in 2015-16 are a Boston College record and is the second most in college hockey history for a single season.
In a perfect world Demko is a 1B for 2020/21, getting around 35 games, then he should be ready to handle top duties and a heavy workload 2021/22 season onwards.

Kind of odd Luongo was traded for Marky, but now Luongo's recapture could cost the team Marky to sign long-term, and doesn't help the Seattle expansion draft is a year away.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

^^^I agree with this upcoming playoff being for the big contract for Markstrom. It's his one shot at signing for the really big dollars and he has to come up big. And I think he can and probably will. It is a shame he's thirty, that's going to shorten the length of the contract unless some GM loses his mind. Which might happen :(
el rey del mambo
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:43 pm ^^^I agree with this upcoming playoff being for the big contract for Markstrom. It's his one shot at signing for the really big dollars and he has to come up big. And I think he can and probably will. It is a shame he's thirty, that's going to shorten the length of the contract unless some GM loses his mind. Which might happen :(
I think he has 4 - 5 years of good hockey left in him. I’m a big fan of Jakob. He’s a team leader who the young guys look up to. He has low miles. I’d love to see him here even at 24 over 4. I like Thatcher a lot as well. But I think this is the summer to cut one of them loose.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:50 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:43 pm ^^^I agree with this upcoming playoff being for the big contract for Markstrom. It's his one shot at signing for the really big dollars and he has to come up big. And I think he can and probably will. It is a shame he's thirty, that's going to shorten the length of the contract unless some GM loses his mind. Which might happen :(
I think he has 4 - 5 years of good hockey left in him. I’m a big fan of Jakob. He’s a team leader who the young guys look up to. He has low miles. I’d love to see him here even at 24 over 4. I like Thatcher a lot as well. But I think this is the summer to cut one of them loose.
I think you're right Doyle, it's probably the off season to move Demko. I'd like a mid to high first or a really good young player on an entry level contract back. And I would be okay with $6x4 for Markstrom as well. He was worth all of that and then some this season and he wants to be here which is always nice.
el rey del mambo
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:18 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:50 pm
I think you're right Doyle, it's probably the off season to move Demko. I'd like a mid to high first or a really good young player on an entry level contract back. And I would be okay with $6x4 for Markstrom as well. He was worth all of that and then some this season and he wants to be here which is always nice.
-Even if Markstrom does play superb in the playoffs (if they happen), he knows Vancouver is his comfort zone, plus Ian Clarke is still around.
Doubt getting a contract done will be a big problem. There is no question in my mind he want's to stay.--
Unless we can drop both Baertschi and Eriksson before the next campaign, we are going to lose someone we don't want to.
Sucks goat poop but we must prepare for 21-22. No cap increase makes it even tougher.
Toffoli might be a luxury we cant afford long term, particularly at his age. Jake, though still a challenge, will stay cheap, doubt he wants to move.
I hope someone in the system like Tryamkin (or someone else), can replace Edler and his relatively stable hard nose, style.
Ferland is also someone who needs a new home. He has to be seen healthy though.
Be nice to replace Beagle and Roussel with players from within our own system too.--- I'm dreaming. Some of these contracts will run out just
in time, (Sutter too).
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Yah the year after next is difficult if the Canucks give big deals to Hughes and Petey. I’m going with 9 million for 8 years for each of them. I was playing around with Cap Friendly and came up with this roster. Youth will have to be served since the cap won’t be going up any.

FORWARDS (14)
Right wing: Tyler Toffoli ($5,200,000) - Brock Boeser ($5,875,000) - Jake Virtanen ($3,200,000) - Zack MacEwen ($1,250,000) - Kole Lind ($1,250,000)
Centre: Elias Pettersson ($9,000,000) - Bo Horvat ($5,500,000) - Adam Gaudette ($2,500,000) - Jay Beagle ($3,000,000)
Left wing: J.T. Miller ($5,250,000) - Vasily Podkolzin ($925,000) - Micheal Ferland ($3,500,000) - Tyler Motte ($1,250,000) - Nils Höglander ($891,667)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: Tyler Myers ($6,000,000) - Brogan Rafferty ($2,500,000) - Troy Stecher ($2,500,000) - Nikita Tryamkin ($2,000,000)
Left: Quinn Hughes ($9,000,000) - Jack Rathbone ($925,000) - Olli Juolevi ($2,500,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Thatcher Demko ($3,250,000) - Michael DiPietro ($811,667)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Cap Hit: $81,111,540
Cap Space: $388,460

I’m assuming raises to some RFA in the hope they will have earned them (Demko, Rafferty and Juolevi). If not they likely won’t be on the roster, and will be replaced by someone making just as much. So basically they’ll have to let everyone’s contracts expire including Edler’s, Sutter’s and Pearson’s. They’ll also need someone making three million or more to be traded or put on LTIR. I put Roussel on LTIR for this roster, but it could be Beagle or Ferland. Louie’s cap hit will have to be gone. I put him on LTIR. And the Canucks could only sign one of Markstrom, Toffoli, or Tanev to a deal longer than one year this off season. Perhaps they could sign Markstrom this season, but someone making as much as he gets would have to be gone in the expansion draft. Even if all the really bad contracts disappear. I think they can keep Jake and Gaudette for at least a few years. They’ll have to start playing cheap youth throughout the roster in depth roles, especially on defence.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Even though I know Doc is right and there will be no buy outs I am still hoping it will occur.

A couple reasons why I still think there is a very slim change it make happen. Players have seen some of the raises given to others so where in the past a team could give someone like EP a second contract in the middle $$$ range they now want 8 year deals with high cap hits. To do this teams would use the increase in cap space to pay for it, with the cap being held steady for 1 - 2 years the NHL needs to bail out some teams. Yeah I know this wont happen but its summer.

The other reason is to watch the melt down at HF as JB does a couple buy outs and then signs everyone and the team makes the playoffs for the next several years. What will they to bitch about then?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:37 pm Markstrom signing means Demko’s departure in the not too distant future. It’d be sad to finally develop a starting goalie and then see him blossom on another team.
Well, I'd say Markstrom is a starting goalie developed by the Canucks, if that helps!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

2Fingers wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:23 pm Even though I know Doc is right and there will be no buy outs I am still hoping it will occur.
:wink:

2Fingers wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:23 pm A couple reasons why I still think there is a very slim change it make happen. Players have seen some of the raises given to others so where in the past a team could give someone like EP a second contract in the middle $$$ range they now want 8 year deals with high cap hits. To do this teams would use the increase in cap space to pay for it, with the cap being held steady for 1 - 2 years the NHL needs to bail out some teams. Yeah I know this wont happen but its summer.

The other reason is to watch the melt down at HF as JB does a couple buy outs and then signs everyone and the team makes the playoffs for the next several years. What will they to bitch about then?
Jimmy will look even better after talking Loui into a mutual termination this summer and moving Baer more easily than expected.

The other so-called bad contracts are either off the books or easily moved in the summer of 21.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

This would be fun
Chris Johnston
@reporterchris

Free agency for the 2020-21 NHL season will either be Oct. 9 or seven days following the Stanley Cup Final (as late as Oct. 11).

That means we could have free agency open the same day as the first round of the entry draft is held.
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/statu ... 77665?s=20
el rey del mambo