2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chris Tanev had a far better year than T Myers. Not even close really. Myers and Edler had decent, albeit up and down seasons, but there’s no way either of them played as well as Tanev.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Without Myers you have tiny troy playing 20+ a night.

Ya no thanks
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:48 am Without Myers you have tiny troy playing 20+ a night.

Ya no thanks
I said nothing about that. I just squashed the claim that Myers was the teams second best D man. That’s asinine.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:13 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:48 am Without Myers you have tiny troy playing 20+ a night.

Ya no thanks
I said nothing about that. I just squashed the claim that Myers was the teams second best D man. That’s asinine.
Tanev had the best year of his career. He was the 2nd bets D-man. Myers can play a bit better but this was just a slightly below normal
year for him. That slight awkwardness aint never goin away. Could work on a better shot from the point. That would be great.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ya no thanks
Ouch and Yuk
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Micky wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:42 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:13 am

Ya no thanks
Tanev had the best year of his career. He was the 2nd bets D-man. Myers can play a bit better but this was just a slightly below normal
year for him. That slight awkwardness aint never goin away. Could work on a better shot from the point. That would be great.
I’m not sure it was the best year of his career, certainly the healthiest in a while. But he’s a much better player than Tyler Myers. With Chris Tanev it’s always about his durability or lack thereof.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm
I’m not sure it was the best year of his career, certainly the healthiest in a while. But he’s a much better player than Tyler Myers. With Chris Tanev it’s always about his durability or lack thereof.
I wonder how much of this year's "improved health" comes from the changes in his equipment the trainer made the previous summer... have we turned a corner with his injuries - most of which I believe were shot-blocking related lately.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:58 am
I wonder how much of this year's "improved health" comes from the changes in his equipment the trainer made the previous summer... have we turned a corner with his injuries - most of which I believe were shot-blocking related lately.
Could be partially that. Could be that he’s playing with a great young hockey player that moves the puck as well as anyone in the league from the back end and he isn’t getting passes in his skates or getting clobbered on the forecheck and having to constantly try and retrieve the puck.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

That's an interesting thought, I hadn't heard about new equipment, but to me its his greatly reduced ice-time that stands out. I haven't really looked at Tanev's zone time and quality of opposition versus the last few seasons when he was partnered with Edler in a shut-down pairing. It seems to me that he had more offensive zone time thanks to Hughes, and the top match-ups were more evenly split between Tanev-Hughes and Edler-Myers. Less time chasing in the d zone would mean less blocked shots (although didn't Salo get his face smashed by a teammate's slapshot one time?).
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

There was an article with the pictures of the custom shin pads & gloves made by the training staff for Tanev but it's gone, can't find it.
CT made a comment early in the year he felt great about the new gear.
Does help playing with Quinn. He seemed to have just that wee bit more time to square up the blocks.
Too bad the ingenuity on the equipment didn't come a tad earlier. (insert water under bridge gif).
"evolution"
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:08 am
Could be partially that. Could be that he’s playing with a great young hockey player that moves the puck as well as anyone in the league from the back end and he isn’t getting passes in his skates or getting clobbered on the forecheck and having to constantly try and retrieve the puck.
For sure - getting the puck out of the zone quickly & accurately with his D partner is likely the single biggest reason. I was more thinking about the PK, which seems to be prime injury time for shot blocking.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Interesting to note:

Tanev has actually been on the ice for the highest rate of shot attempts against in his entire career, so there actually have been more opportunities for him to get hurt blocking a shot. That’s reflected in his shot blocks: he’s blocked 5.87 shots per hour this season, a higher rate than his last three seasons.

He’s also taken a higher rate of hits than his past two seasons, though a lower rate than his seasons before that. In terms of physical impact, Tanev has been hit by bodies and pucks as much or more than in seasons past.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canu ... st-2156902
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Or Tanev has broken so much shit, and every time something gets broke on him, they have replaced it with Adamantine.

Nothing left to break anymore :)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:42 pm Or Tanev has broken so much shit, and every time something gets broke on him, they have replaced it with Adamantine.

Nothing left to break anymore :)
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him.

We have the technology.

We have the capability to make the world's first bionic man.

Chris Tanev will be that man.

Better than he was before.

Better...stronger...faster.

:P
____
Try to focus on someday.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Still would like to see Greener concoct a pp breakout scheme where Hughes scoots through Myers' legs straight up the middle with speed.

I believe you could catch teams off guard with it provided you didn't do it every night; maybe every third game or so.

But nah, Green is too conservative for something like that.
el rey del mambo