2020 NHL Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2020 NHL Draft

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The point is that they already have some great young assets in the system and have 27 picks the next two drafts with a ton of them in the first two rounds. They can package up some picks or prospects for a couple guys in their mid 20s. Not to mention they will walk out of the next draft with 2 more cornerstones as they could easily have two top 5 picks.

Lol it’s way too out of balance to have a lot of good young players. It sure was shitty for Chicago. Didn’t work out very well for the Oilers in the 80’s.

Can’t have too many good young kids folks. Lmao
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:33 am Interesting point by the chef nonetheless...

How many teams make any noise in the post season that exclusively roll with a group of kids around the same age?

It seems to me that outside of the 80s coil i cant recall any. Chicago maybe? Pens?

There appears to be a point where successful teams decide to move picks and add vets to compliment a young core then go for it. Vancouver decided last summer was that time I'd say
Vancouver still needs more young pieces. The Miller trade while a good one isn’t something they should’ve trying to replicate for a while.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:48 am The point is that they already have some great young assets in the system and have 27 picks the next two drafts with a ton of them in the first two rounds. They can package up some picks or prospects for a couple guys in their mid 20s. Not to mention they will walk out of the next draft with 2 more cornerstones as they could easily have two top 5 picks.

Lol it’s way too out of balance to have a lot of good young players. It sure was shitty for Chicago. Didn’t work out very well for the Oilers in the 80’s.

Can’t have too many good young kids folks. Lmao
The fans aren’t showing up in Ottawa anymore, it’s win or get out time for them, same with Buffalo. Tank Hockey and all in on the young guys is not the recipe for success in today’s NHL. It’s a Mans League, not a league of zits and fresh out of puberty league. It’s all about the re-tool now. That wasn’t the case over a decade ago
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It’s a young man’s game. After the draft this year they could get the franchise centre they need to add to their franchise D in Chabot. They have Tkachuk, Branstrom, Batherson and a pile of other prospects in the system. If they can swing a JT Miller type deal of their own and you mix in a Drysdale and a Byfield it will be an impressive roster pretty quickly.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:33 am It’s a young man’s game. After the draft this year they could get the franchise centre they need to add to their franchise D in Chabot. They have Tkachuk, Branstrom, Batherson and a pile of other prospects in the system. If they can swing a JT Miller type deal of their own and you mix in a Drysdale and a Byfield it will be an impressive roster pretty quickly.
The funny thing is Doyle, only Tkachuk and Chabot or looking top shelf while Formentin, Batherson, Brannstrom continue to struggle to establish themselves. Logan Brown is looking like a bust. Colin White is OK. Josh Norris looks like a good prospect who could work his way in to that Tkachuk and Chabot group

Still to early to know what they have in Abramov, Thomson and Docker.

Really it’s only Tkachuk and Chabot who look foundational core players at this time, players to build around. This draft will be huge for them in trying to add to Chabot and Tkachuk, but beyond those two I’m not going “WOW, with the other young guys”

Brannstroms struggles have been surprising. I though he’d be similar to Hughes and Makar but clearly isn’t
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It’s early on some of those kids yet. Brown hasn’t panned out. He looks almost as bad as Olli Juolevi. I think they probably have four core pieces there now, with the opportunity to get two more this year. Cores are usually about six or seven deep.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:50 am It’s early on some of those kids yet. Brown hasn’t panned out. He looks almost as bad as Olli Juolevi. I think they probably have four core pieces there now, with the opportunity to get two more this year. Cores are usually about six or seven deep.
If they can land two of Lafrenierre, Byfield, Drysdale, Stutzle that will be huge for them. There are future stars in the Rossi, Quinn, Perfetti, Raymond, Holtz, Lundell, Sanderson group. I’m just not sure who they are. I’ve got a sneaking suspicion Rossi is going to be a star. The kid put up insane numbers, he isn’t tall but is a tank - 5’-9” 190 lbs.

Rossi Scouting Report

Skating

Rossi is an excellent skater, with very good speed and acceleration. He combines that with outstanding agility and edgework. He can take defenders wide and then cut to the net. His ability to make quick cuts also makes him extremely dangerous in one-on-one situations. Rossi is just 5-foot-9, however, he is solidly built and plays a dynamic offensive game. His low centre of gravity makes him hard to knock off the puck and allows him to control it down low and create out of the cycle game. He is also surprisingly strong along the boards, winning far more battles than one would expect for a player of his size. This should only get better as he continues to mature and get even stronger.

Offensive Game

Rossi has excellent hands and combines this with his skating ability to create offence. He can make moves while carrying the puck at top speed. He creates space by combining his quick fakes and with his quick cuts and changes in speed. Defenders have to back off to defend his speed and Rossi can take advantage of the room created and larger passing and shooting lanes. He has a quick wrist shot with an excellent release. When defenders back off, he can use them as a screen and fire a shot on net. He also has an excellent one-timer.

Rossi is talented as both a playmaker and a shooter. He has the passing skills to set up his linemates and make them better. His ability to extend plays through his work down low really lets him take advantage of these playmaking abilities. He works well in the cycle and gives his teammates additional time to get open for a tape-to-tape pass. His puck control and passing ability also allow him to run the power play off the wall. Rossi is not afraid to get involved in battles on the boards or to take the puck to the front of the net. Despite his lack of size, he plays the game in the dirty areas of the ice.

Defensive Game

Rossi is also good defensively. He is able to kill penalties and is particularly effective on faceoffs. The 67s use him in all situations and he is often matched up against the other team’s top line. He is not afraid to get his nose dirty and helps his defence down low, working hard in the corners and behind the net. While he is often overmatched in terms of size, he has a never quit mentality and does not back down. He also uses a quick stick to knock the puck away from opponents and create turnovers. His positioning is very good and he uses his smarts to cut down passing and shooting lanes.

Projection and Comparison

The biggest questions around Rossi are his size. However, there are more and more small players succeeding in the modern NHL, and Rossi has the dynamic offensive skills and the skating ability to overcome his lack of size. An extremely hard worker, Rossi does it all at both ends of the ice. He likely needs a year or two before he is ready for the NHL, but could become a first-line centre if he reaches his potential. Rossi’s game is comparable to Brayden Point of the Tampa Bay Lightning, but this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on skill and ability.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/04/19 ... ng-report/
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:48 am
Can’t have too many good young kids folks....
...all looking for their gravy at the same time
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:21 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:48 am
Can’t have too many good young kids folks....
...all looking for their gravy at the same time
Exactly, and we know too well what Ottawa can afford

Like I said, the key for that team moving forward now is can Ottawa’s current brain trust mgmt make smart plays with the deck of cards in hand? I have my doubts. They will have to make some moves with some of those prospects and picks similar to the JT Miller trade Benning made
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:51 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:33 am How many teams make any noise in the post season that exclusively roll with a group of kids around the same age?

It seems to me that outside of the 80s coil i cant recall any. Chicago maybe? Pens?

There appears to be a point where successful teams decide to move picks and add vets to compliment a young core then go for it. Vancouver decided last summer was that time I'd say

Vancouver still needs more young pieces.
The Miller trade while a good one isn’t something they should’ve trying to replicate for a while.
But then you said:
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:18 am So if this team somehow acquired Dobson they couldn’t contend until 2027.
Chicago had the gritty workhorses and a developing defense (Keith, Seabrook, Byfuglien) all in place well before Kane and Toews arrived so they got put in a position to succeed from the get go.

Drafts:
2001 Ruutu->Ladd.
2002 Keith.
big year! 2003 Seabrook/Crawford/Byfuglien.
2004 Brouwer, Bolland.
2005 Hjalmarsson, & traded for Sharp.
2006-Toews/2007-Kane, & traded for Versteeg -> no playoffs.
2008/09 season got to conference finals.
2009/10 signed Hossa and boom they win the first Cup.

Why I like Benning getting Miller, Pearson, Roussel, Beagle, Toffoli, big man Myers, while having Edler, Tanev, vet center Sutter, Ferland, Matt Cooke like Motte, Virtanen to surround Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Gaudette and Hughes to help them succeed moving forward.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

“But then I said”?

I’m not understanding you. Did I contradict myself somewhere? Gomes said that. I was repeating it because it made no sense to me. Trading Boeser for Dobson wouldn’t set this team back in my opinion.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:34 pm “But then I said”?

I’m not understanding you. Did I contradict myself somewhere? Gomes said that. I was repeating it because it made no sense to me. Trading Boeser for Dobson wouldn’t set this team back in my opinion.
Scratched for over half the games last season and tallying 1 goal and 6 assists and you’re trading an established top 6 forward for an unknown quality? Are you suggesting rolling the dice on trading for Dobson now because you feel he will be a first pairing D-man one day? That’s a serious gamble
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:37 am

Scratched for over half the games last season and tallying 1 goal and 6 assists and you’re trading an established top 6 forward for an unknown quality? Are you suggesting rolling the dice on trading for Dobson now because you feel he will be a first pairing D-man one day? That’s a serious gamble
I feel Dobson will undoubtedly become a top pairing D man. Go look at how Trotz has brought young D men along in the past. They usually apprentice in the minors for a spell too. Ellis, Josi, Ekholm, Jones, Weber, Suter, etc. The kid is 19, will be 6 ft 4 and 215 when he fills out and can skate like the wind. He will be a 2 way beast. Think Seth Jones, Alex Pietrangelo.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:43 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:37 am

I feel Dobson will undoubtedly become a top pairing D man. Go look at how Trotz has brought young D men along in the past. They usually apprentice in the minors for a spell too. Ellis, Josi, Ekholm, Jones, Weber, Suter, etc. The kid is 19, will be 6 ft 4 and 215 when he fills out and can skate like the wind. He will be a 2 way beast. Think Seth Jones, Alex Pietrangelo.
Those are lofty expectations. I like the kid and wouldn’t be disappointed with the trade but it’s still a known potential for an unknown potential. It’s a risky trade. I’d ask for a sweetener from NYI, Dobson isn’t proven like Boeser, like a high pick or top prospect
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Islanders are very thin on RW with just Eberle, Bailey, Clutterbuck and Komarov but do have good RW prospects in the system in Wahlstrom and Holmstrom. Could happen but the Isles would have to add as we would be taking all the risk. End of the day I don’t believe would welcome a trade to New York and I don’t think Benning would do that to him