Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:01 am
ESQ wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:57 am
Micky wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:49 am

I'm Betting MCP would agree with that. All Canadians should have the right to coverage of their favorite Canadian NHL team without
exorbitant fees.
I think I'd be okay with the fees if the quality of coverage was better. But Rogers is determined to use its NHL rights deal to drive growth for the MLB and NBA teams they own. Then they can keep cutting the local coverage and fill in the schedule with Blue Jays re-runs, which costs nothing to put on the air.
Canada could support a hockey only network no problem. I mean who the fuck watches baseball or basletball anyway? It all sucks compared to hockey and maybe. Intl Rugby....or way down there boring assed NFL football

*The Wiz steadies himself for the inevitable
I'd go for an all hockey, limited baseball, limited NFL, limited car racing, limited wome..............stop. :mrgreen:

No one will get it all right but Rogers having the NHL and the NBA is a viewing problem for many. Financially, it pretty much has to be that way. :(
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I am very curious what will happen when the rights are up. I think the NHL will make more money from parsing out the rights versus bundling everything. TSN will pay up to get back in, but can likely see the opportunity in non-Toronto markets to ramp up viewership.

I believe I read that Rogers paid a ton for exclusive streaming rights. That was in 2014. By 2025-26, there will be major players like DAZN looking for the streaming rights, and I think its unlikely that the TV players can compete with those entities.

So I predict a return to the pre-monopoly days - some rights on Sportsnet, some on TSN, some back on CBC, all games being streamed in Canada on a 3rd party app like DAZN, Youtube, twitch, etc.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chris Cuthbert has signed on with Rogers Sportsnet. That’s a hell of a get for them. Hopefully he will be doing the late games on HNIC. Let Hughson stick with the leaves. Cuthbert is the best in the business.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:58 am Chris Cuthbert has signed on with Rogers Sportsnet. That’s a hell of a get for them. Hopefully he will be doing the late games on HNIC. Let Hughson stick with the Leaves. Cuthbert is the best in the business.
Mr Playoffs.

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

He sounds exactly like Mr Hinky the Christmas Poo

And ya...hes one of the better guys to listen to call games
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Vancouver actually does have another decent media guy emerging in Sat Shah. He seems to be fairly well spoken and I usually agree with much of his perspectives.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:20 am Vancouver actually does have another decent media guy emerging in Sat Shah. He seems to be fairly well spoken and I usually agree with much of his perspectives.
Interesting path; April, 2014 article. https://www.pugetsoundradio.com/2014/04 ... tiar-shah/
It’s a long way from the often hostile environs of Iran to the raucous studios of the TEAM 1040 but that’s exactly where Satiar Shah’s journey has taken him.

Iranian born in 1984, the Bro Jake Show producer moved to Sweden the following year during the Iran/Iraq conflict.

Living there until 1997, the family then uprooted to Canada where despite living on the other side of the world, the 30 year old actually grew up a Vancouver Canucks fan.
He's done well. Loved his fights with Pratt on 10:40-epic. There was a Kathy there too I think.
Sat still seems a bit nervous on the National HNIC. My advise would be --don't be in awe of Elliotte. :lol:
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Cool i didnt know he had a story like that. I also noticed he had the nerves on HNIC but itll come around for the guy. He seems to be a solid dude
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Holy fuck.

Rick Dhaliwal is fucking retarded. Like: watch Garth Brooks 'standing outside the fire' video for proper reference.

He just tweeted a rumour that the Vancouver Canucks 'could look to trade Loui Ericsson to clear cap space'

Are they (the media) so stupid that they feel the need to post this drivel?!?

Dipshits like that should pay an oxygen tax.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:49 pm Holy fuck.

Rick Dhaliwal is fucking retarded. Like: watch Garth Brooks 'standing outside the fire' video for proper reference.

He just tweeted a rumour that the Vancouver Canucks 'could look to trade Loui Ericsson to clear cap space'

Are they (the media) so stupid that they feel the need to post this drivel?!?

Dipshits like that should pay an oxygen tax.
LOL this reminds of John Shannon's 'insider' tidbit on the HNIC panel that Stan Bowman hadn't decided yet whether to make Brent Seabrook available on the trade market or not.
el rey del mambo
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Dhaliwal: Players in Europe will have a leg up in terms of being game ready

https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/pla ... 25100.html

It's really long before Rick even gets to it, BUT:
listen to Don Taylor lose it on the Canucks not allowing their station to phone interview Trent Cull..
"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Micky wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:15 pm Dhaliwal: Players in Europe will have a leg up in terms of being game ready

https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/pla ... 25100.html

It's really long before Rick even gets to it, BUT:
listen to Don Taylor lose it on the Canucks not allowing their station to phone interview Trent Cull..
Haha, what a bunch of idiots, I know, don’t fabricate shit non stop to get hits and you’ll get interviews from the team. Didn’t gillis freeze out the media as well? Amateur hour
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Tony Gallagher will enter the Hockey Hall of Fame as a media inductee and Elmer Ferguson Award winner

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/b ... -gallagher ..The Province;
"I could have chosen another line of work. I was a bright guy. But I’ve had a great life and opportunities and went with my heart. I was seduced by the newspaper industry and I loved it, but it was a battle at times." — Tony Gallagher
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Is he a relative of yours Gomer?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:14 pm Is he a relative of yours Gomer?
Not me, (and don't fucking call me that limpy), but you fit the bill better Image
"evolution"