2020 NHL Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: 2020 NHL Draft

Post by Mickey107 »

With an unfinished season and differing games completed plus varying amounts of home and away games left, there is no possible way
of total perfection for absolute fair in the positions.

At least the league is acknowledging that the draft must happen as close to "on time" as possible. This class of kids need to be drafted so
there can be a new class next year.
Damn! I'm saying that with a whole lot of hope..
"evolution"
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

McKenzie says the Canucks are out of the running?

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/stat ... 4333757442
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

So if the Canucks have a lower points percentage and aren’t in the playoffs because there are no fricken playoffs they still don’t get a lottery chance? Sounds like the NHL shafting Vancouver again.
We can expect no less Daly and Bettman I suppose.
First the after the fact Luongo rule.
Then the Bonnie Henry excuse.
Now the after the fact playoff position rule.
I guess Aquaman likes it too much when he gets bent over.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Curmudgeon wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:24 am McKenzie says the Canucks are out of the running?

I am inclined to believe BM on that. Shit.

Ok...drop the fuckin puck before they shit can the season
If you need air...call it in
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Funny how if there are play-offs the Canucks have to go through a play-in round because they never really made the play-offs, but if there are no play-offs the Canucks don’t go in the lottery because they suddenly would have been in the playoffs even though they had a lower points percentage than other second lottery teams.

Sounds like Bill Daly Legalese speak to me. Whatever the case the Canucks are to get shafted, just like he did with his Luongo after the fact ruling, or inflexibility when working with Dr Henry.

Fuck I hope the NHLPA votes “No” now. Let the league burn. I’m joining Antifa!
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:42 am
Curmudgeon wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:24 am McKenzie says the Canucks are out of the running?

Yeah, Bobby Mac is never wrong. :(

So if the season is cancelled, we won't get to participate in the Phase Two lottery for Laffy.

And Joisy would get our pick this year (20th overall?)... right?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Makes sense. Of that list we don’t want Lafrenierre going to Minny, Chicago, Arizona or Winnipeg. My hope would be Montreal.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

If there's a year where it's actually worth hoping for the Canucks to miss the playoffs it is this one. It would mean a 1 in 8 chance of getting the first overall pick, and most people won't give two shits about this year's playoffs anyhow.

No fans at games. Dead atmosphere. All kinds of Covid nonsense. Some players are gonna avoid contact more because they are scared of the big bad virus.

I'd be happy with the pick over playoffs.....
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:34 am If there's a year where it's actually worth hoping for the Canucks to miss the playoffs it is this one. It would mean a 1 in 8 chance of getting the first overall pick, and most people won't give two shits about this year's playoffs anyhow.

No fans at games. Dead atmosphere. All kinds of Covid nonsense. Some players are gonna avoid contact more because they are scared of the big bad virus.

Or...this is the perfect storm to end the curse

Oh yes...deep down you know I'm right Mëds
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:48 am
Mëds wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:34 am If there's a year where it's actually worth hoping for the Canucks to miss the playoffs it is this one. It would mean a 1 in 8 chance of getting the first overall pick, and most people won't give two shits about this year's playoffs anyhow.

The draft lottery curse? Yes. I agree.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:48 am

Exactly.

The only way the Hockey Gods would allow the Canucks to win a Cup is in some totally goofy circumstances. This is also the only year in which the brutal Pacific Northwest playoff travel will be a non-factor, and all injuries (well, all injuries to important players) won't be a factor.

This is a best-case scenario - they get a chance to play-in which will be like gaining playoff experience, if they lose they have a 12/5% shot at #1, if they win they get to carry on.

The worst-case scenario is playoffs are cancelled, Canucks don't get the playoff experience, don't get a crack at the lotto, and have to give up the 1rp. Though if the 1rp is 20th, I'm less fussed.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:03 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:42 am

Yeah, Bobby Mac is never wrong. :(

So if the season is cancelled, we won't get to participate in the Phase Two lottery for Laffy.

And Joisy would get our pick this year (20th overall?)... right?
Yup the worst case scenario is the NHL cancels the season, the Canucks won't get a chance to earn a playoff spot and we get no shot at 1st overall, just a nuked season and year down the drain....somehow I think the owners/league/players association won't let it happen, just have a no crowd games like a florida panthers game.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

ESQ wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:44 pm The only way the Hockey Gods would allow the Canucks to win a Cup is in some totally goofy circumstances.
And then end up with an * as big as Reef's pool win! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Too many disappointments to care when it comes to the draft lottery. If you are expecting it to go down differently if we lose in the round robin shame on you for being the fool again. As Benning says “I ain’t spending an ounce of energy on it”. It’s the Canuck curse, accept it like a mantra. Besides Benning and crew have done a fucking excellent job at the draft with the cards dealt to them, this cannot be overlooked, how well they done with the cards they’ve been dealt with.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Yup.

When the fix is on at the league, we will never get 1st overall pick. This is what makes the 'team tank' people silly.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.