2020 NHL Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: 2020 NHL Draft

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

A more apt comparable would be Poolparty.

He also looked wonderful right up until he didnt
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:07 pm A more apt comparable would be Poolparty.

For who Byfield? Winger and Centre..... Not so much. People say on the high end Byfield could be similar to Malkin. Poolparty had trouble with the language, and he was gifted a spot. Edmonton fucked that up initially. It seems he had a decent year in Finland but who knows? They might be better off to bring him back and try him out next to McJesus next year for a good run. Or trade him ...

QB is big, fast and strong and he can see the ice. I’d think at minimum you’re getting a prime Eric Staal with the potential to be better.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:28 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:07 pm A more apt comparable would be Poolparty.

For who Byfield? Winger and Centre..... Not so much. People say on the high end Byfield could be similar to Malkin. Poolparty had trouble with the language, and he was gifted a spot. Edmonton fucked that up initially. It seems he had a decent year in Finland but who knows? They might be better off to bring him back and try him out next to McJesus next year for a good run. Or trade him ...

QB is big, fast and strong and he can see the ice. I’d think at minimum you’re getting a prime Eric Staal with the potential to be better.
All the pre draft scouting reports on JP are here. He was highly touted, big, fast, great vision as well.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016 ... t-rankings
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:01 pm

All the pre draft scouting reports on JP are here. He was highly touted, big, fast, great vision as well.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016 ... t-rankings
That’s great and everything and maybe they both got the pre draft hype as being a big fast raw specimen, but the position difference is where it ends for me.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

My reservations with the kid are based solely on what i saw at the WJC.

I do understand that lots of kids shine there and fizzle thereafter but i want to see soft hands on a kid rated this highly, precisely what i didnt see.

Now I'm merely a stoner floating in a pool and a terrible judge of talent but i still form opinions for which i usually come to regret later...its all part of the game of who said it first
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It’s impossible for Byfield not have an NHL career. Just how good it will be is a mystery. But I would say Eric Staal is a fair comparison. At the high end he could be a Malkin type.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yeah it's not a good comparison at all.

Puljujarvi was always ranked #3 mostly behind Laine and Matthews, but the Finland GM in Columbus at #3 decided to not take Puljujarvi and went with Dubois.
There were draft observers who were apoplectic when the Blue Jackets took Dubois third overall ahead of Jesse Puljujarvi in the 2016 draft, despite the fact that GM Jarmo Kekalainen knew Puljujarvi from Finland and assistant GM Bill Zito’s former company represented him. So they obviously knew something about both Dubois and Puljujarvi that has made those critics look awfully bad. Zito was asked which of Columbus’ scouts pounded the draft table and insisted the team take Dubois over Puljujarvi. “Nobody had to fight for Dubois,” Zito said. “Just watch him play!”

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... puljujarvi
Even the Habs and Benning - both liked Dubois' game, so it seems those teams have done their homework and seen something in Puljujarvi's game they didn't like versus Dubois. Granted poolparty was put on a crappy team in edmonton with a bad coach, wasn't developed well, he probably should have stayed in Finland longer, but they rushed him.

Anyways, as for Byfield, he was almost born to be in the 2021 NHL draft!
Quinton Byfield has the makings of a prototypical franchise centre in the mould of Evgeni Malkin or Ryan Getzlaf.

The No. 2 North American-based skater on NHL Central Scouting’s final prospect ranking behind consensus top pick Alexis Lafreniere, Quinton Byfield has the makings of a prototypical franchise centre. Peak potential think Evgeni Malkin or a left-shot Ryan Getzlaf.

With a solid combination of size, speed, skill, vision and tenacity when it comes to puck battles, Byfield is an ideal piece to build a team around. And, as one of the younger players in the draft, still has room to grow and add strength to his imposing frame.

Made huge gains in two OHL seasons

Byfield was selected first overall by the Sudbury Wolves in the 2018 OHL Draft and shone as a 16-year-old rookie. He finished his first year with the Wolves scoring 29 goals and 32 assists in 64 regular-season games, adding eight points in eight playoff outings, and was named both OHL and CHL rookie of the year.

His junior coach, former NHL forward Cory Stillman, noted a clear progression in Byfield’s 200-foot game over the course of his rookie season.

He upped the ante in 2019-20, producing at nearly two points per game. Before the season was cut short, Byfield had 32 goals and 82 points in only 45 appearances.

“A player with his size and strength, and I think there’s more size and strength to come, but to able to have soft hands and vision and make plays and when players try to eliminate him, he can beat you with power or he can beat you with hands and hockey sense, so it makes him very, very tough to contain and a very attractive prospect obviously,” NHL Central Scouting’s David Gregory said on a video conference call earlier this month.

Models his game after Malkin

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/pro ... se-centre/
I think his first WJC was a great learning experience, and he'll only get better from here on out - to be a leader for TC.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

The comparison was less about their on-ice game and more about them being similar types of players who share the same reported atributes leading into their respective entry drafts.

Big, good skaters, see the ice well (blah blah blah)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

OMG none of the 7 teams won the #1 spot in the lottery today!

Lafreniere will fall to a Phase 2 team... maybe your Vancouver Canucks!

I knew something was up when HF crashed, lol...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:28 pm OMG none of the 7 teams won the #1 spot in the lottery today!

:wow:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

1. ????
2. Los Angeles Kings
3. Ottawa Senators (via SJS)
4. Detroit Red Wings
5. Ottawa Senators
6. Anaheim Ducks
7. New Jersey Devils
8. Buffalo Sabres
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://twitter.com/SNstats/status/1276674498549485572
Sportsnet Stats
@SNstats

This marks the first time in NHL Draft Lottery history that a team without 1 of the league's 7 worst records will grab the 1st overall pick
5:31 PM · Jun 26, 2020
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

So if we lose to Minny, we have a 12.5% chance of Laffy.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

You know if Pittsburg and Edmonton have any shot at the top pick, it’s going too one of them. :evil:
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:28 pm OMG none of the 7 teams won the #1 spot in the lottery today!

Serious..... ?? I’m knee deep in a bottle of Stoli. Yeah a hard fought loss to the Wild resulting in Laf/Q /JD wouldn’t be the worst thing