Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Richardstroker69 »

SKYO wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:53 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:46 am ...with Luongo and his cap recapture penalty holding the camera
$3.033M x 2 more seasons.

TSN Dhaliwal:
I see Markstrom getting $6m (per year). And if he can't get it from the #Canucks
, he'll easily get it on the open market.
If Marky wants around $6M per & we are already paying Luongo $3M per, that'll be $9M + demko + 3rd string, that's too much cap space on goaltending.

Canucks goalie coach Clark seems to hold a masters in teaching/guiding his pupils incl. Bobrovsky and now Marky, I believe he can work his magic on Demko next.

So I'd be inclined to let Marky walk and sign a veteran goalie to split duties with Demko at a much, much cheaper cost.
Dhaliwal is pushing an agents agenda, I love marky but he’s not getting 6 million on the open market, unless it’s extremely short term.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:25 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:46 am ...with Luongo and his cap recapture penalty holding the camera

TSN Dhaliwal:
I see Markstrom getting $6m (per year). And if he can't get it from the #Canucks
If Marky wants around $6M per & we are already paying Luongo $3M per, that'll be $9M + demko + 3rd string, that's too much cap space on goaltending.

Canucks goalie coach Clark seems to hold a masters in teaching/guiding his pupils incl. Bobrovsky and now Marky, I believe he can work his magic on Demko next.

So I'd be inclined to let Marky walk and sign a veteran goalie to split duties with Demko at a much, much cheaper cost.
Dhaliwal is pushing an agents agenda, I love marky but he’s not getting 6 million on the open market, unless it’s extremely short term.
Dhaliwal is pushing an 8 ball up his anus with a garden hose.

His drivel of late is terrible.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Goldobin is shuffling off to Russia as predicted.
Canucks forward Nikolay Goldobin signs with KHL’s CSKA Moscow

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/can ... ka-moscow/
el rey del mambo
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Hopefully Beartschi heads there as well.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:25 pm

TSN Dhaliwal:

I can't see Markie getting $6. $5x3 and no NTC is what I recommend to both Jim and his agent. The goalie market is soft right now. There are about 20 really good goalies out there, and Markie is just one of them.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Maelstrom is a top 10 goalie. There aren’t 20 guys as good as him and there isn’t many guys as good as him available in UFA. He will get more than 5 million easily.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

He might take 5, if it were for 5 years. Not wise.
Six for three would give the team enough time to figure out a replacement. It might be Demko if Seattle doesn't snag him.
Difficult to get a read on the guy from what we've seen. I have my doubts he's the goalie of the future.
"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:46 am Maelstrom is a top 10 goalie. There aren’t 20 guys as good as him and there isn’t many guys as good as him available in UFA. He will get more than 5 million easily.
Even so how many teams are shopping for goalies, not many. There are 3-4 options comparable to marky, and I don’t think there are that many teams looking to upgrade.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:46 am Maelstrom is a top 10 goalie. There aren’t 20 guys as good as him and there isn’t many guys as good as him available in UFA. He will get more than 5 million easily.
The Canucks "discount" is probably at around $5M - $5.35M AAV x 3-4 years.

But as an UFA Marky will likely get around $5.5M - $6M x 6 years to a desperate team wanting some stability in net.

And if you want to save cap to help spend up front instead, you simply let Marky go and here are Four Potential UFA targets that could replace Jacob Markstrom in a vet mentor 1A-1B situation for Demko to grow into a #1.

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/01/31/pote ... markstrom/

Anton Khudobin, Thomas Greiss, Corey Crawford, Jaroslav Halak, sign of those guys for around 2.5M x 2 years that should be sufficient enough for Demko to develop into a #1 goalie, all while getting superior goalie coaching from Clark.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Marky will be back and for a team friendly discount.

Mark my words.

All the negaitve fluff is just agent noise. He can barely contain himself in interviews when asked about if he wants to come back. It may take til camp or something but he'll be back
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:25 pm Marky will be back and for a team friendly discount.

Mark my words.

All the negaitve fluff is just agent noise. He can barely contain himself in interviews when asked about if he wants to come back. It may take til camp or something but he'll be back
I think he will be back too. I predict a deal between 5.25 - 5.5 over 4 years. But it sure as shit won’t take till camp. This is a big deal for him. He will want to have something in place long before next training camp whenever the hell that is.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I really hope that Vancouver management has had some initial conversations with Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes regarding their second contracts. I have a bad feeling one or both of these players is going to sign a bridge deal which isn’t in the long term best interest of the team.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:29 am I really hope that Vancouver management has had some initial conversations with Elias Pettersson and Wuinn Hughes regarding their second contracts. I have a bad feeling one or both of these players is going to sign a bridge deal which isn’t in the long term best interest of the team.
I respectfully disagree that a bridge deal isn't in the long-term best interests of the team.

I don't think its more in the long-term interest to have these contract renegotiations staggered. If Quinn signs a bridge, he has to take a heavy discount. Heck, even just a one-year bridge takes the team past Loui, Luongo, Roussel and Beagle. It will also see Quinn eligible for an 8-year contract taking him to age 31.

A 2 year bridge puts the Quinn negotiation a year after Boeser's and Demko's, which may also be wise, and get Quinn under contract to age 32.

I have no problem with a high-paying deal locking up Quinn to age 31 or 32, and I prefer that to the idea of extending him at age 29/30 if he signs a max contract now. An age 29/30 IMO will have a higher cap hit than extending him at age 32 for his sunset, retirement-style contract.

I'm all for locking in Petey now. As amazing as he's been to this team, we're a little fortunate to be able to lock him up before he becomes a perennial 90-100 point player.

Quinn produced at a 60-point pace, and could very well have broken the franchise record for defenceman scoring. Is he really going to get a performance that is substantially better than that in the next year or 2, driving up his price? Is he going to be a 70-75 point defenceman who kills penalties in the next 2 years?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

JB & em have done a good job on RFA's, so I'm not too concerned with EP/QH.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:55 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:29 am I really hope that Vancouver management has had some initial conversations with Elias Pettersson and Wuinn Hughes regarding their second contracts. I have a bad feeling one or both of these players is going to sign a bridge deal which isn’t in the long term best interest of the team.
I respectfully disagree that a bridge deal isn't in the long-term best interests of the team.

I don't think its more in the long-term interest to have these contract renegotiations staggered. If Quinn signs a bridge, he has to take a heavy discount. Heck, even just a one-year bridge takes the team past Loui, Luongo, Roussel and Beagle. It will also see Quinn eligible for an 8-year contract taking him to age 31.

A 2 year bridge puts the Quinn negotiation a year after Boeser's and Demko's, which may also be wise, and get Quinn under contract to age 32.

I have no problem with a high-paying deal locking up Quinn to age 31 or 32, and I prefer that to the idea of extending him at age 29/30 if he signs a max contract now. An age 29/30 IMO will have a higher cap hit than extending him at age 32 for his sunset, retirement-style contract.

I'm all for locking in Petey now. As amazing as he's been to this team, we're a little fortunate to be able to lock him up before he becomes a perennial 90-100 point player.

Quinn produced at a 60-point pace, and could very well have broken the franchise record for defenceman scoring. Is he really going to get a performance that is substantially better than that in the next year or 2, driving up his price? Is he going to be a 70-75 point defenceman who kills penalties in the next 2 years?
Petey is a no brainer. That needs to be an eight year deal. To me he is and will be the teams best player moving forward. Quinn is a close second. You want these guys through their peak years signed to good contracts. I see where you are coming from in regards to Hughes, but if he scores at 65- 70 point pace next season and then you bridge him for two years after that, and he increases his ppg again to around a 75-80 point pace, you could be looking at paying him 12.5 - 13 million on his next contract when you could have gotten him for 9 x 8.

I’m all for looking after the teams best players though their peak years. Players peaks tend to be throughout their 20s.