NHL Season suspended - Now what?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: NHL Season suspended - Now what?

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Tciso wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:41 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:53 am If the green men come back and kneel on a Wild jersey clad black fuck dolls neck...would it be in poor taste?

Its really no worse than the vince vaugn thing...

:P
There is nothing that the Green Men can do that is in poor taste. They could tea bag Gritty in front of his kids, and it would still not be in poor taste.
+1

If they tea bagged Gritty, well, then, They best be ready to take over Finns duties. That would be the greatest Twitter/instagram/Tiktok war between mascots of all time!!!

... I would totally contribute to the "go fund me" for that!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

With all the issues down south with # of people being infected with COVID19 and the current rioting why is the NHL even looking down there to do the playoffs. ?

Sure the rioting will be over by July but not the number of people being infected. If I was an NHL player would I want to be playing in a location where people are taking the virus seriously or in a city where there has been no flat line? Having it in Vancouver where beaches are opening and soon camping sites and other facilities this would be a natural place to host the rest of the playoffs.

Not sure what it would take but you may be able to get the Pacific Coliseum up and running as well and do 2 games a day or hell even 4 games. Eastern teams start at 3:00 Western teams start at 7.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Reefer2 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:12 pm With all the issues down south with # of people being infected with COVID19 and the current rioting why is the NHL even looking down there to do the playoffs. ?

Sure the rioting will be over by July but not the number of people being infected. If I was an NHL player would I want to be playing in a location where people are taking the virus seriously or in a city where there has been no flat line? Having it in Vancouver where beaches are opening and soon camping sites and other facilities this would be a natural place to host the rest of the playoffs.

Not sure what it would take but you may be able to get the Pacific Coliseum up and running as well and do 2 games a day or hell even 4 games. Eastern teams start at 3:00 Western teams start at 7.
I think they need to be able to run 4 games/day until the round of 16 is over. Apparently UBC (due to Olympic-calibre upgrades to host the women's tournament) is ahead of Pacific Colosseum.

But if they just did 2 a day, with matinee games on weekends to put it up to 3 or 4/ day, maybe they could do it all in Van.

The other thing is players consistently vote Vancouver as one of the favorite cities to play in, and those US dollars go a lot further.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Dr. Bonnie Henry open to special arrangement for NHL teams visiting BC
Rob Williams..May 29 2020, 9:33 am >> link
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I read an article last week, I'm trying to find it, that basically said that Trump had conversations with all the different leagues; NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL. The MLB and NBA only have one Canadian team each so when they reopen it will all be US based. The NFL, no brainer, all US based. But Bettman wanted two HUBS, one in Canada and one in the US. According to the article Trump was pretty insistent that both HUBs be US based using veiled threats, the way only Trump can. Basically saying the gov wouldn't be able to help owners, the league and its employees if they choose to play in a Canadian city. He talked about how important it was to reopen the American economy and give people something to cheer for. Bettman asked Trump if he could help get the Canadian gov to ease the way and get around the self quarantine. Trump said he could not.

As all propaganda I have no idea where the truth lies and I cant find the article yet and I cant remember what rag I saw it on so I'm not sure how reliable it is. But I remember thinking it sounded Trumpish. The sort of thing he would do. Trump apparently also suggested that if there was a Canadian HUB it should only contain the Canadian teams to which Bettman had to explain the conference system. So politics will play a role.

Dr. Henry seems to be suggesting that the quarantine rule won't be fully lifted but that she would consider a group quarantine for those practice squads and for the teams once play resumes. So in reality she would be granting them a bubble of their own!
The only HW the Canucks need
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

The most salient point from the article Mick linked to seems to be ...

Canada’s mandatory 14-day self-isolation quarantine rule is a problem for the NHL, as the league doesn’t want to stunt the fitness of some its players prior to restarting their season. If a different arrangement isn’t made for the NHL, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly indicated that the league would not select a hub city in Canada.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger
CBA discussions between the NHL and NHLPA have been woven into the daily planning for resumption of play, however, sources say the two sides have intensified talks on a CBA extension with escrow, salary cap and HRR main discussion points. A stabilized escrow system is key.
6:59 AM · Jun 4, 2020·
HRR is currently 50/50. There is now some gambling income.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: NHL Business 2019.....

Post by SKYO »

dreger:
CBA discussions between the NHL and NHLPA have been woven into the daily planning for resumption of play, however, sources say the two sides have intensified talks on a CBA extension with escrow, salary cap and HRR main discussion points. A stabilized escrow system is key.
No lockout this go around - which I heard a couple times by the media - the NHLPA has some bargaining power this time and Bettman doesn't want a lockout.

Olympics? :D
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:10 am
Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger
6:59 AM · Jun 4, 2020·
I'm not sure why you're mentioning those two well known facts in relation to that tweet.

(or did you not know gambling income is already part of HRR?).

Dreger is referring to players wanting a cap on escrow.

As I explained before, players are going to owe the owners some money... resumption of season or not.

(they are going to end up with well over their 50% of HRR for this season, gotta pay some back)

So to pay that back, players might end up with, say, 45% of HRR next season... unless they negotiate something with the NHL.

Then consider Covid may well effect 2020-21's HRR as well = lots of escrow next season?

The players could ask for forgiveness on some of that debt/a cap on escrow... but the NHL will want concessions in return.

As for negotiating the salary cap, that has been known for some time, we've talked about that here at the Corner.

I think HRR is mentioned because they may want to spread the amount they will owe from this/next season over a few years.

(or maybe, as I say, cancel some of that debt in exchange for concessions?)

To do that they're going to need to extend the CBA... and as Dreger reports, that's exactly what they're doing.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: NHL Business 2019.....

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:15 pm dreger:
No lockout this go around - which I heard a couple times by the media - the NHLPA has some bargaining power this time and Bettman doesn't want a lockout.

Olympics? :D
Personally, I see the NHLPA as being in a weak position (for the reasons in my previous post).
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:20 pm
I'm not sure why you're mentioning those two well known facts in relation to that tweet.
Because there may be some that didn't know the split was 50/50.
and
Gambling is new so far as negotiating the CBA.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:33 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:20 pm
Because there may be some that didn't know the split was 50/50.
and
Gambling is new so far as negotiating the CBA.
NO, everyone here knows about the 50/50 split... and besides, what point were you trying to make in mentioning it?

What's next, are you going to tell everyone that the NHL is a professional hockey league because there may be some who don't know?

As I said, the players and owners already split all gambling revenue 50/50.

Seriously WHAT THE FUCK DUDE :crazy:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lamar107 is asking for it. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:22 pm What's next, are you going to tell everyone that the NHL is a professional hockey league because there may be some who don't know?
Strange 107-1...Image
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

:roll:

Oh my God, wot an idjit...
____
Try to focus on someday.