My Truck...

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: My Truck...

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:07 am I do need a truck with a sliding back window. Solid back window that doesn’t open is a non starter. Looks like I’m looking at an F150, a RAM or maybe a Titan. 2012- 2016... maybe 100 - 150 K. I think the dealerships will be giving vehicles away this summer.
Just a heads up, Titan's are gas pigs in those years. I have a 2012. Love the truck though.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:07 am I do need a truck with a sliding back window. Solid back window that doesn’t open is a non starter. Looks like I’m looking at an F150, a RAM or maybe a Titan. 2012- 2016... maybe 100- 150 KM. I think the dealerships will be giving vehicles away this summer.
Wonder why this is? Sliding back window? I have one in my 2017 F-150, and have used it once... rear passenger wanted a "pop" from the back cooler.

What other uses are there for these? Honest question, as I suppose I'm not that imaginative.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:08 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:07 am I do need a truck with a sliding back window. Solid back window that doesn’t open is a non starter. Looks like I’m looking at an F150, a RAM or maybe a Titan. 2012- 2016... maybe 100- 150 KM. I think the dealerships will be giving vehicles away this summer.
Wonder why this is? Sliding back window? I have one in my 2017 F-150, and have used it once... rear passenger wanted a "pop" from the back cooler.

What other uses are there for these? Honest question, as I suppose I'm not that imaginative.
I use mine to feed the co-ax through for a rooftop mag mount vhf antennae. It is also the simplest way to break into any pickup.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:08 am

We have a cabin east of 100 Mile House. With two teenage kids in the back seat and a 90 lb Labrador it gets a bit cramped. It makes more sense to buy a decent canopy and put the dog in the back with his bed.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Well those are both valid reasons for that rear window - I suppose I'd have to add, go with a Toyota then, the full roll down window would be way more useful. I have an Amstaff (no kids thankfully) - but his big head wouldn't really fit through that little hole the F-150 calls a rear window.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Baubles needs a mini van.

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:59 pm Baubles needs a mini van.
Fuck off
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:17 pm
Topper wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:59 pm Baubles needs a mini van.
Fuck off
Europe has quite a few 4x4 camper vans that i would kill to rock around in.

Music festivals are so.much cooler when u have your own shitter and not porking the old lady in a tent city
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I like the camper vans, the Mercedes ones, the 1 ton. Beautiful when they’re done right. I need a pickup.

Minivans are for ballickers
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The Hilux is very durable. Guess the NA equivalent is a Tacoma.
Hiluxes also stand up to more than just normal vehicular wear and tear. In 2006, British TV show "Top Gear" conducted an experiment that illustrated this.

"The show's producers bought an 18-year-old Hilux diesel with 190,000 miles on the odometer for $1,500," Somaiya wrote for Newsweek. "They then crashed it into a tree, submerged it in the ocean for five hours, dropped it from about 10 feet, tried to crush it under an RV, drove it through a portable building, hit it with a wrecking ball, and set it on fire.

"Finally, they placed it on top of a 240-foot tower block that was then destroyed in a controlled demolition. When they dug it out of the rubble, all it took to get it running again was hammers, wrenches, and WD-40. They didn't even need spare parts."
As Ravi Somaiya pointed out in Newsweek in 2010, the Toyota Hilux pickup has been a fixture of several extremist movements over the past few decades.

"The Toyota Hilux is everywhere," Andrew Exum, a former US Army Ranger who is now the US deputy assistant secretary of defense for Middle East policy, told Newsweek. "It's the vehicular equivalent of the AK-47. It's ubiquitous to insurgent warfare. And actually, recently, also counterinsurgent warfare. It kicks the hell out of the Humvee."

The Hilux is apparently a durable truck that has proven useful for terrorists who are fighting against lightly armed special forces.

The truck is "fast, maneuverable, and packs a big punch [when it's mounted with] a 50-caliber [machine gun] that easily defeats body armor on soldiers and penetrates lightly armored vehicles as well," Alastair Finlan, who specializes in strategic studies at Aberystwyth University in the UK, told Newsweek.
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-isi ... ?r=US&IR=T
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Tacoma is not a Hilux

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Its also next to inpossible to bring in a hilux left hand drive to canada
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:23 am Its also n byext to inpossible to bring in a hilux left hand drive to canada
Mine is left hand drive, bought new in Guatemala in 97, but parked on blocks at my place in Belize. I've been thinking of driving it North. May have to find stick bumpers then once here, daytime running lights and treat seat belts.

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

The 97 you could bring in but anything 15 years old or newer cannot be imported and then modified to meet canadian standards.

I was originally thinking one of the newer ones because they are a fair bit better made than the taco (supposedly)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:22 am The 97 you could bring in but anything 15 years old or newer cannot be imported and then modified to meet canadian standards.

I was originally thinking one of the newer ones because they are a fair bit better made than the taco (supposedly)
I have an 07 Taco that I would not buy again. Built for taking the family skiing on the weekend not for regular bush use. I've put OME suspension, ARB bumper, custom rear bumper and a Warn winch on it to make it into a serviceable truck. Still, 2 drums of gas is a damn heavy load for it, 3 is scary.

The '97 Hilux has stock suspension but the front could use an upgrade. I added a leaf to the rear after a coworker broke a spring on his. We'd regularly haul 3 drums diesel, two 100lb propane and a grocery order to camp with them and they'd just chug along fine. That 2.8l diesel is a beast, but won't do anything quickly. It really is nice to drive if you aren't in a hurry, but the newer Taco is much smoother and car like to drive.