NHL Season suspended - Now what?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: NHL Season suspended - Now what?

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:12 pm
Micky wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:21 am If providers do pay per view, I wont bother with it. That's the worst thing they could do.
Haven't heard it but........
Do you think you'll consider ordering the Comets games online if next season is a go? Realistically you need a couple of other people involved for the forum to be any fun Comets wise. Be great if Bad Goalie and his band of Uticans made their way over this way. BG does all the work on game threads, everybody bitches about it and I'm left with nothing to do but Gaunce and Lind memes....
I don’t think bg could handle it here.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:35 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:12 pm
Micky wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:21 am If providers do pay per view, I wont bother with it. That's the worst thing they could do.
Haven't heard it but........
Do you think you'll consider ordering the Comets games online if next season is a go? Realistically you need a couple of other people involved for the forum to be any fun Comets wise. Be great if Bad Goalie and his band of Uticans made their way over this way. BG does all the work on game threads, everybody bitches about it and I'm left with nothing to do but Gaunce and Lind memes....
I don’t think bg could handle it here.
Since his thread is the only one I ever read over there, I'd be worried that Bad Goalie would just sequester himself to the little-used Comet Trails forum, where no one can see the enormous efforts he puts in to reviewing games.

But since he tends to stay in his thread and only cares about the Comets (I don't think he's a Canucks fan), he probably wouldn't be bothered by some of this board's...colourful characters :lol:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

How about this 24 team solution:

Top 6 from each division face eachother in a single game series = 5 rounds.
The points are added to the regular season standings, adjusted for the number of games teams had played when the league stopped.

Then normal rules decide which eight team from each conference make the playoffs.

First two rounds best out of three.
Semifinals best out of five.
Final best out of seven.

Western conference games on odd dates, eastern on even dates.
That way all teams get a day of rest between games, but there are televised games every day.
Add an extra day of rest before the final series.

The whole thing takes just under seven weeks, including the roundrobin.

There, solved it for you! 8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

With the play in abortion being bandied about right now it looks like Vancouver would play Minnesota in a play in to qualify for the playoffs. Top 4 seeds in each conference get byes. The 4 teams on each side that get eliminated in the play in would then go in another draft lottery and would be considered to have not made the playoffs that season. If the Canucks lose to the Wild, they would keep the pick this year.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Thu May 21, 2020 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

A best of 5 with Minny eh...i like our chances there
from Friedman:

The top four seeds (based on points percentage) in the East would be Boston, Tampa Bay, Washington and Philadelphia. Top four in the West would be St. Louis, Colorado, Vegas and Dallas.
They would receive byes through the play-in, but participate in a three-game tournament to get some action. I confess I’m not certain of all the details on if or how it would affect playoff seeding.
The rest of the playoffs would be “bracketed.” That means, in both conferences 5 vs. 12 (winner plays four seed), 6 vs. 11 (winner plays three seed), 7 vs. 10 (winner plays two seed) and 8 vs. 9 (winner plays one seed).
So that would mean an opening round of: Pittsburgh/Montreal; Carolina/Rangers; Islanders/Florida and Toronto/Columbus in the East and Edmonton/Chicago; Nashville/Arizona; Vancouver/Minnesota; Calgary/Winnipeg in the West.
The play-in series would be a best-of-five. The rest of the playoffs would be best-of-seven
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:45 am A best of 5 with Minny eh...i like our chances there
4-3 OT loss--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo home

4-2 loss--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo away

4-1 win--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRm2ybL ... e=emb_logo away

Ya, anyone could Google it and it was an unnecessary effort but if they are to have playoff hockey, if there's one thing history has shown,
upsets are a plenty.

Link
Seedings would be determined within each conference instead of the current divisional wild-card format, according to ESPN and Sportsnet. The play-in round would be a best-of-five, while the rest of the playoffs would be best-of-seven. According to these reports, the "bye" teams would start with a three-game tournament in order to stay sharp, though it's unclear if it will affect seeding.
Since this is (if it happens) going to be non traditional, why not just have 1 play 24, 2 play 23 ---etc? Maybe too many upsets. This isn't easy.

Never much cared for Canuck / Wild games as a rule.
"evolution"
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

I'm with Mickey here. This is probably the only chance we'll have to see cross-conference matchups before the final, so why not ramp up the excitement for the fans! Minny? Boooooooooooooring!!
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Really at this point - the season is buggered, whoever wins the SC will have an * by it anyway... I don't really care what happens this year, I just hope they come to some solution, and finish it up (would be great to see hockey of ANY kind, even Minny) so that it doesn't affect next season's start date (Covid-allowing). Pie in the sky stuff, but I hope come October this year, we will be watching the reg. season start.

I just want to watch some hockey - such a huge hole in my daily routine, that is now filled with scotch and chainsaws...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

5thhorseman wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:45 am I'm with Mickey here. This is probably the only chance we'll have to see cross-conference matchups before the final, so why not ramp up the excitement for the fans! Minny? Boooooooooooooring!!
They have had erratic goaltending and trouble scoring this year while Van has had excellent goaltending, score alot of goals...

They also had a slow start while Van is fantastic early.

So it comes down to can Minny shut down our far superior scoring with their marginally better defensive system and shitty goaltending
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Looks like 2nd round.... :thumbs:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Micky wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:33 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:45 am A best of 5 with Minny eh...i like our chances there
4-3 OT loss--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo home

4-2 loss--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo away

4-1 win--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRm2ybL ... e=emb_logo away

Ya, anyone could Google it and it was an unnecessary effort but if they are to have playoff hockey, if there's one thing history has shown,
upsets are a plenty.

Link
Seedings would be determined within each conference instead of the current divisional wild-card format, according to ESPN and Sportsnet. The play-in round would be a best-of-five, while the rest of the playoffs would be best-of-seven. According to these reports, the "bye" teams would start with a three-game tournament in order to stay sharp, though it's unclear if it will affect seeding.
Since this is (if it happens) going to be non traditional, why not just have 1 play 24, 2 play 23 ---etc? Maybe too many upsets. This isn't easy.

Never much cared for Canuck / Wild games as a rule.
The math for brackets won’t work if 1 plays 24. 8, 16 or dare I say 32 works (number 1 gets a bye). Give Boston a bye as the President trophy winner and get everyone else In a bracket format, no reseeding so they can all stay in hub cities. Rank them according to points percentage. Just play the whole league in 4 cities - 2 vrs 31, 3 vrs 30, etc, regardless of division or conference. Getter done!
Vancouver - Minnesota: Yuck! Not my definition of excitement.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

The one issue i can see with vancouver playing minny is foligno, greenway and to a lesser extent hartman. Can minny scare the smaller canucks out of the corners and bully the canucks off their game
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:37 am The one issue i can see with vancouver playing minny is foligno, greenway and to a lesser extent hartman. Can minny scare the smaller canucks out of the corners and bully the canucks off their game
Do you think there'll be as much hitting? Maybe eventually. Fighting?

I'm gonna go search the UT for some high level world games where almost no one is there, see how weird it might be.

Tell you one thing; Even with the crowd noise you can often hear the F-bomb from the players. WTF with no fans?

They'll time delay. :evil:

an AHL sample https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTHcwH0ZmRY
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:51 am I just want to watch some hockey - such a huge hole in my daily routine, that is now filled with scotch and chainsaws...
Hmmm. Chainsaws eh? :idea:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Calgary and Winnipeg would be exciting

The leaves would draw Columbus!
The only HW the Canucks need