NHL Season suspended - Now what?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: NHL Season suspended - Now what?

Post by Zedlee »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:04 am
Zedlee wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:51 am This talk of resuming the season is flat out ridiculous.

This season is done. Forget about 20/21 as well.

See you all in Sept 2021, hopefully.
I reckon its back by July Zed....redonkulous or not
It may be. Greed is a massive motivator. We will know soon enough.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

From Wyshynski’s latest article for ESPN:

We can confirm that the league is currently focused on jumping directly to the Stanley Cup playoffs rather than attempting to complete the regular season ahead of the playoffs.
… as of last week, the focus has been on skipping right to the playoffs. This doesn’t make it a certainty — focus can shift quickly during these unpredictable times — but this is the current thinking
Interesting. The presumption being the 24 team format will be the plan. I know it flies in the face of tradition but i like the idea for a one off tournament. It would be wild
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It would be wild only if we made the playoffs.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:11 pm It would be wild only if we made the playoffs.
We make it in a 24 team playoff format
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Brian Burke on Sportsnet radio, 650am this morning on what to do with the current unfinished season and the ponderings of potential
playoff formats for this year.
Now bare with the guy as he literally works it out to himself on air, :blush: , then comes up with "important to protect the integrity
of the 20/21 season" and I too feel that way above all else.
Burke on air
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:36 am Brian Burke on Sportsnet radio, 650am this morning on what to do with the current unfinished season and the ponderings of potential
playoff formats for this year.
Now bare with the guy as he literally works it out to himself on air, :blush: , then comes up with "important to protect the integrity
of the 20/21 season" and I too feel that way above all else.
Burke on air
Lol, yeahno no one is gonna "bare with" Burkie for 16 minutes...

(and if anyone does, I demand a full confession!) :evil:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

They seem to be looking at 8 or 9 places as potential hubs and will probably select 4, or perhaps just 2 if Canada isn't involved.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rep ... me-season/
el rey del mambo
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:24 am They seem to be looking at 8 or 9 places as potential hubs and will probably select 4, or perhaps just 2 if Canada isn't involved.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rep ... me-season/
Balderdash, malarkey, Gary. If Canada isn't involved :look:
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

So now they're talking 2 sites...Vegas and Edmonton, 12 teams each sitefor the round robin. They can take over an entire hotel and keep everyone isolated. This makes the most sense
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

If providers do pay per view, I wont bother with it. That's the worst thing they could do.
Haven't heard it but........
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

If they go with 24 teams, I would imagine there is a "first round" round robin (Curling Style) of 2 pools of 12 teams, where each team plays 7 8, or 9 games. (depends how scheduling goes, and how long they have to get the playoffs done)

Then, top 8 teams advance from each pool into a regular 7 game series format.

This maintains the "4 rounds of the playoffs - hardest championship to win" mentality.

Probably be some variation of that.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

All right; If there's no way they're wiling to cancel the awarding of the cup for this year dur to the horrible circumstances, then I
would only be on board with something real simple. 24 teams is ridiculous to me. They want to involve more teams. Ya, I get that but no.

Look where the teams were at the point they reached 68 points in the standings. Seed them like usual, Use the normal tie breakers.

One city with two rinks Best Two out of Three!. Award the Cup with the asterisk. Should take about four weeks or a tad more.

Then get on with trying to "protect the integrity of the 20/21 season."
"evolution"
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Micky wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:21 am If providers do pay per view, I wont bother with it. That's the worst thing they could do.
Haven't heard it but........
Do you think you'll consider ordering the Comets games online if next season is a go? Realistically you need a couple of other people involved for the forum to be any fun Comets wise. Be great if Bad Goalie and his band of Uticans made their way over this way. BG does all the work on game threads, everybody bitches about it and I'm left with nothing to do but Gaunce and Lind memes....
el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Micky wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:50 pm All right; If there's no way they're wiling to cancel the awarding of the cup for this year dur to the horrible circumstances, then I
would only be on board with something real simple. 24 teams is ridiculous to me. They want to involve more teams. Ya, I get that but no.

Look where the teams were at the point they reached 68 points in the standings. Seed them like usual, Use the normal tie breakers.

One city with two rinks Best Two out of Three!. Award the Cup with the asterisk. Should take about four weeks or a tad more.

Too much angst Mick. If it comes back and they have 24 teams I'm fairly certain you'll be glued to it and enjoy every minute just like the rest of us

Just roll a fattie and enjoy man. No need to fret and worry so much
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Micky wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:50 pm All right; If there's no way they're wiling to cancel the awarding of the cup for this year dur to the horrible circumstances, then I

It’s not only that they want to involve more teams, they don’t have a way to finish off the season to see who makes the playoffs. Integrity is already broken, so what’s the compromise? 24 team round robin for the ‘first round’ is the fairest way. Otherwise, someone would be angry with an argument of ‘they coulda/shoulda made the cut’. It’s not about involving more teams, it’s about a format that is fair for all the owners and fan bases. Still have 4 rounds of playoffs, no Asterisk beside the winner.

As to the integrity of next season, I think the major debate is if they want to be the only major sport with playoffs through EVERY summer. It could be a major cash cow to be the only thing on TV. I heard a rumour that they are looking at starting the regular season later, and Bettman is trying to sell the owners on it. This is an opportunity to make a change to scheduling. They would be foolish not to have a look at it.

I Guess we will see what they decide.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.