We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:14 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:46 pm a preventable tragedy
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Although the Great Strangelove does frown upon one aggrandising oneself...
Yeah whatever. How much lead time has Trump had on this? And why is NY less than a week away from letting people die?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/politics ... index.html

Mayor Bill de Blasio told CNN on Monday that, as a result, New York City hospitals will make it only through the week before they start reaching "a point where people can't be saved" because of equipment shortages.

Sounds preventable?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:53 pm In other news, a study released yesterday has shown that men are 50% more likely to die if contracting COVID-19 than are women. So I say, let all the women out to work and play and quarantine men for 90 days. They are after all the vulnerable population.
The Swedish numbers don't really match that (20 men and 16 women have died so far, with an average age of 82). Sure, the Swedish sample size is rather small, but one theory is that in China, Italy and Iran, the countries worst hit so far, most men smoke, while most women don’t. In Sweden it’s 7% of either gender. Since it’s respiratory failure that seems to kill covid-19 victims, smokers are more at risk since their lungs are already compromised.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:59 pm Come on Gomer :? gotta cockblock every thread?
I warned you about disparaging references.
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:45 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:14 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:46 pm a preventable tragedy
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Although the Great Strangelove does frown upon one aggrandising oneself...
Yeah whatever. How much lead time has Trump had on this? And why is NY less than a week away from letting people die?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/politics ... index.html

Mayor Bill de Blasio told CNN on Monday that, as a result, New York City hospitals will make it only through the week before they start reaching "a point where people can't be saved" because of equipment shortages.

Sounds preventable?
Not sure if it would have been entirely preventable, because this thing has exploded rather rapidly. The problem is that up to 5% of those infected may need ICU treatment, and no country has the capacity to treat such a large part of it’s population in intensive care at the same time.

So, not only do you need to get hold of equipment, and hospital beds, at the same time as factories are closing, but you also need trained staff. And how long have we known this was coming? Since January?

Sweden normally has a total of 525 ICU beds. Right now a conference centre outside of Stockholm is being converted into a military field hospital that can take 200 additional ICU patients, and another military field hospital is opening in Gothenburg with some 20 ICU places. Thay are also postponing as much surgery as possible, to minimize the need of ICU treatment post surgery. At present there are just some 50 corona patients in ICU treatment, but when this shit peaks it could rapidly become over 1000... Even though we have raised capacity by nearly 50%, we could still fall short.

As for staff... a training hospital in Stockholm is taking in stewards and stewardesses from SAS (Scandinavian Airlines Systems have given notice to 90% of their staff) to give them a three week crash course in health care. They will not become proper nurses, of course, but should be able to assist at the hospital and let the real staff focus on life and death matters.

Also, the authorities have made lists of people with medical training, both doctors and nurses, that have left the industry, and could, if we declare a state of emergency, order to report at hospitals where needed, Hospitals and universities have already shifted doctors away from research and training and into treatment.

But all these measures are not even likely to be enough. If the peak is too rapid we will simply not be able to accomodate everyone that needs intensive care. :(
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Things in the USA get further complicated by the fact that healthcare there is a largely privately run for profit business. This gives the government less oversight and it complicates the pooling of resources.

Also, if a patient in say Sweden, Canada, Germany, France, Australia, the UK or Japan requires two weeks of ICU treatment, once they are healthy and sent home, they're OK. That's it.

In the USA, on average, ICU treatment costs USD 20,000 per day. Two weeks of ICU treatment then adds up to USD 140,000 that a patient lacking health insurance (as 25 million Americans do) will walk out of the hospital owing them. Even a patient with insurance and a 20% copay will walk out with a USD 24,000 debt, at the same time as factories are closing and the whole service sector is going belly up.

The social and economic consequences in the USA are therefor likely to become far more dire than in other developed countries.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Actually, to be fair, Swedish hospitals do charge in house patients USD 10 per day, to cover the cost for their three meals a day, so a Swedish patient would walk out of the hospital after 14 days of ICU treatment owing them a grand total of USD 140. :mex:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Simon Birch talking in a Karl Childers voice wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:33 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:59 pm Come on Gomer :? gotta cockblock every thread?
I warned you about disparaging references.
Ok Sparky
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Watching politicians argue over bailout packages funded by money they don't have

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Prince Charles has the coronavirus. The underaged need to be warned
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:51 am Watching politicians argue over bailout packages funded by money they don't have

:lol:

Got one of these to have at the pool deck. Splash resistant. Can handle a rain shower too.

Ours only goes to 10 though..... but it seems to be a recognised problem.
Verdict: Marshall Stockwell II is an amazing portable wireless speaker that feels like it could last a lifetime and punches well above its weight. The build quality is a breath of fresh air in this age of flimsy plastic, and it feels so sturdy. The sound produced by the Stockwell II is both fulsome and beautifully clear at the top end, while the 20 hours of battery life and power bank feature makes it super portable and ideal for camping and boating use. In fact, the only thing missing is a volume knob that goes all the way to 11.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marksparro ... 56bc6b5fe5

https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/a2813 ... dorsement/
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Chuck and Die

The sequel.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:51 am Watching politicians argue over bailout packages funded by money they don't have
Just print more money like they did in 2008.

BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:07 pm As an asside where is ukcanuck? Haven’t heard from the old prick for a while? Listercat?

I saw our Alberian friend poked his head in the other day. :thumbs:
Listercat is the only person on these boards that I actually know.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

BCExpat wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:07 pm As an asside where is ukcanuck? Haven’t heard from the old prick for a while? Listercat?

I saw our Alberian friend poked his head in the other day. :thumbs:
Listercat is the only person on these boards that I actually know.
I like Listercat. Doesn’t post enough kinda like UW. A few more posts from these guys and yourself means less of reading Pacific Blue’s drunken rants or Gomer’s links etc.

So you actually know Listercat?

Is it true he was pretty involved with the Blackmore’s of Bountiful? I picture him to be an elderly fella with good manners and he goes hunting with a musket and a stick with a rag attached to it
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

His old lady used to yank on harp strings while he plowed from the back...i heard
If you need air...call it in