Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:11 am Haven't had our annual Panther/Canuck trade in awhile.
When NHL.com’s Nick Cotsonika asked Dale Tallon how the Florida GM felt leaving the BB&T Centre after Sunday’s 3–0 loss to Calgary, Tallon replied, “I was pissed,” adding the Panthers haven’t been the same since a 4–0 defeat in Montreal on Feb. 1. (They are 5-9-2 since.) If Tallon is upset, you can only imagine how owner Vinny Viola feels. Viola dropped more than $100 million — from Sergei Bobrovsky to Joel Quenneville to Anton Stralman, etc. — and while attendance figures have increased a bit, it is still under 14,000 per game. The Panthers are in danger of missing the playoffs for the fourth straight season, and the question being asked is, “What are the consequences?” The are many potential changes on and off the ice, but what has other GMs buzzing is a belief the Panthers will strongly consider breaking up their core because the mix hasn’t worked. Was the Vincent Trocheck deal just the tip of the iceberg?
Ekblad, Connolly?
Ekblad is a stinky 1st overall pick
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:37 am
SKYO wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:11 am Haven't had our annual Panther/Canuck trade in awhile.
When NHL.com’s Nick Cotsonika asked Dale Tallon how the Florida GM felt leaving the BB&T Centre after Sunday’s 3–0 loss to Calgary, Tallon replied, “I was pissed,” adding the Panthers haven’t been the same since a 4–0 defeat in Montreal on Feb. 1. (They are 5-9-2 since.) If Tallon is upset, you can only imagine how owner Vinny Viola feels. Viola dropped more than $100 million — from Sergei Bobrovsky to Joel Quenneville to Anton Stralman, etc. — and while attendance figures have increased a bit, it is still under 14,000 per game. The Panthers are in danger of missing the playoffs for the fourth straight season, and the question being asked is, “What are the consequences?” The are many potential changes on and off the ice, but what has other GMs buzzing is a belief the Panthers will strongly consider breaking up their core because the mix hasn’t worked. Was the Vincent Trocheck deal just the tip of the iceberg?
Ekblad, Connolly?
Be as it may, Ekblad is still a big brute who can score 40pts a season with a blast of a shot + plays top pairing minutes.

Re-sign Toffoli.
Bure for JovoCop pt 2!

Boeser + dman prospect + filler for Ekblad + filler.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:22 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:37 am
Ekblad, Connolly?
Be as it may, Ekblad is still a big brute who can score 40pts a season with a blast of a shot + plays top pairing minutes.

Re-sign Toffoli.
Bure for JovoCop pt 2!

Boeser + dman prospect + filler for Ekblad + filler.
Considering we've watched Toffoli step in for Boeser, but then seen the 2nd line continue to be one chance wonders with little offensive moxie, moving Boeser out is probably not smart. Next year we hope the Air Thief is gone, which opens a spot up with BoHo.

Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Horvat, Toffoli, Pearson, and Virtanen, make for a helluva top 7 forwards on the depth chart. Pearson has been decent, but I think Jake could bump him down a line next year. We also need to spread some wealth across our PP units, and most teams like running with 4 forwards on the first unit. Our second unit blows goats. Instead of having guys like Roussel or Sutter out there with Pearson and Virtanen, it makes way more sense to distribute things a bit.

Miller - Petey - Toffoli up front with Pearson as the 4th forward for a net presence instead of Horvat. Hughes obviously the QB.

Boeser - Horvat - Gaudette - Virtanen - with Edler or Myers on the back end.

Those are two very dangerous units.....at least on paper.

That's also a more affordable top end, and Ekblad is not worth parting with Boeser when the cap hit increase is $2M and it's gonna cost us a dman prospect.

That being said, a top pairing of Hughes and Ekblad would be fearsome.....the new Keith and Seabrook.

Ekblad did turn just 24 last month, and is under contract for 5 more seasons.

I guess I'd just hate to part with Brock.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Ya know SKYO, your idea of Boeser for Ekblad has more merit than I originally thought.

IF Tryamkin returns next year.....

Hughes - Ekblad
Edler - Myers
Tryamkin - Tanev

:shock:

Creates fewer problems for the expansion draft than one might expect.

Pettersson
Miller
Horvat
Toffoli (assuming re-signed)
Virtanen
Gaudette
MacEwan

Ekblad
Myers
Tanev

Markstrom

According to capfriendly Tryamkin is also exempt from the expansion draft?

Edler and Pearson are both UFA, so don't require protection so long as they are willing to wait until after the draft to sign new deals. Sure it runs the risk of them bolting to free agency, but it's low risk. Edler wants to stay in Vancity, and this time around would likely take less to make it work. If we re-sign Toffoli, and actually have a competitive team, I can easily see Pearson wanting to stay too.

I think I got it figured out now Doc.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:16 pm According to capfriendly Tryamkin is also exempt from the expansion draft?
He's listed that way right now because he has only played "2 professional seasons in NA".

But if he comes back and plays 10+ games here, he will require X-draft protection (cuz 3 pro seasons).
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:24 pm
Mëds wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:16 pm According to capfriendly Tryamkin is also exempt from the expansion draft?
He's listed that way right now because he has only played "2 professional seasons in NA".

But if he comes back and plays 10+ games here, he will require X-draft protection (cuz 3 pro seasons).
Ok. Fine.....

Ekblad
Myers
Tryamkin

Bye-bye Tanman.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I’m kind of of the opinion signing Markstrom which ultimately likely means losing Demko is a bad idea. So let’s say a deal with Marky doesn’t happen this summer. How’s this for an idea? Trade Louie for Cory. There are rumours that New Jersey wants out from Schneider’s contract. They both have the exact same cap hit. Six million for the next two years, a total of twelve million. If the Canucks pay Eriksson’s signing bonus this summer before the trade happens, he is only owed five million in salary. Cory doesn’t have any signing bonuses, so he is owed his full twelve million. So while the two year, twelve million cap hit is the same, the Devils would save seven million in real salary. Cory has sucked big time for the Devils and he has a NTC, but I think he may wave to return to Vancouver. Cory was playing better at the end of the season and should be okay in tandem with Demko. He can be exposed for the expansion draft, and his contract expires the year after the expansion draft by which time DiPietro could be ready. Cory is more of an injury risk than Louie, but it is okay if he goes onto LTIR to finish his career. If would free up needed cap space. Louie avoids contact and will likely not get hurt. The Canucks move out Louie, and fill their goalie depth. The Canucks do lose a lot of money, seven million, so maybe they could get a late pick or depth prospect back as well, or they could get the Devils to take back another contract to lessen their long term cap crunch (Beagle or Roussel)? If the Canucks have trouble signing one of their good prospects, they could send his rights to the Devils as well and maybe get their first round pick back, the devils have three of them, so maybe it’s possible? But I’d probably do the Louie for Cory deal straight up if Marky is gone.

1. Louie for Cory - lose a lot of cash, not a great trade, but I’d do it.
2. Louie and Roussel for Cory - cash is pretty even, gives the Canucks cap space, gives the Devils two depth forwards that can check. The devils might really like Roussel next year if his knee fully recovers and he gets a step back. I’d say this would be a good trade.
3. Louie, Roussel and Rathbone (especially if he shows any hesitation of signing with with the Canucks because he wants to play on the east coast for family reasons) for Cory and the return of their first round pick. This would be a great trade.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I’m all for keeping Marky and trading Demko (expansion draft). IMO Marky is one of the games best right now, you might as well ride that. That is unless Markys contract demands get ridiculous and we just let him walk for nothing for stupid money elsewhere Brobovsky style
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:44 am I’m all for keeping Marky and trading Demko (expansion draft). IMO Marky is one of the games best right now, you might as well ride that. That is unless Markys contract demands get ridiculous and we just let him walk for nothing for stupid money elsewhere Brobovsky style
Marky knows how he got to where he is in his career: Ian Clark and the organization's faith in him. I'm sure he can guess what could happen to his performance if he doesn't have Clark to lean on. Bobrovsky hasn't really been the same since Clark left Columbus for Vancouver. I don't see Makstrom looking to get Bobrovsky numbers if it means he'll have to leave the Canucks. He'll push for a fair amount for his production compared to his peers.

The ball is in Benning's court as to whether they want to try to fit Markstrom under their cap paying market rates for a goalie with his production. Benning no doubt thinks their window is starting to open now. Do they risk falling back by sticking with Demko and he proves not as far along the curve?

I wager they'll sign Markstrom to a market-reasonable, trade Demko (though his value is anyone's guess with the goalie market what it is - likely a 2nd round pick and a mid-prospect?). Not the smartest idea IMO. Benning may get a bit more of a return trading Demko than the rights to Markstrom but the cap savings would let him sign the likes of Toffoli and Tanev.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I’m of the understanding that the Canucks really want to sign Marky. I believe they will

They will get a decent return on Demko.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:36 am I’m of the understanding that the Canucks really want to sign Marky. I believe they will

I forget where i read it but the feeling is mutual. Marky will be back
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:35 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:36 am I’m of the understanding that the Canucks really want to sign Marky. I believe they will

Yeah apparently he is one of the leaders and glue of the room, a very well liked teammate. They will sign him IMO
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:38 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:35 am

Yeah apparently he is one of the leaders and glue of the room, a very well liked teammate. They will sign him IMO
I think he signs for a reasonable sum. $6x4
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Sign Marky.

Then let them play. see how it shakes out. Then protect one and if we lose a goalie, we lose a goalie. Or trade one.

No need to rush the decision
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

So its looking like the defense will be quite different next year and like it or not may be a shade weaker if the Tan man moves on.

I would expect Tanev and Stetcher to be gone and Tryampkin should be signing on board. Rafferty likely will get a long look...

I would say Jimmy will throw money at a UFA, possibly Barrie, which isn't maybe that intelligent of a signing but if he comes over and plays like he did in Col it looks a lot better than the Toilet edition.

What else will we see? What impact UFA dmen are on the radar?
If you need air...call it in