We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:28 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:17 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:24 pm People are going stir crazy now.
I've spent the last 2 evenings combining old prescription Mëds with various alcoholic beverages while watching black comedies.

So far so good...
Beverly Hills Cop?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:24 pm As long as Skip keeps delivering I can survive!!
Hmmm. Do you have a dog? :|

This Wuhan Flu could become quite ironic.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Thanks Doc. That was funny.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:14 pm https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5500783
B.C. declares public health emergency with 186 cases of COVID-19 and 7 deaths

B.C. provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says B.C. has confirmed 83 new cases of COVID-19. Three more people have died of the novel coronavirus.

She says the province is declaring a public health emergency. B.C. has now identified a total of 186 patients, of whom seven have died.

"This declaration of an emergency allows me to be faster, more streamlined and nimble," Henry told reporters Tuesday.

She said that all bars are ordered to close. Businesses that remain open, including grocery stores and pharmacies, should take measures to ensure social distancing — about one to two metres between all people — and restaurants and cafes that can't meet that requirement must switch to takeout only.

"There are many places in our community that aren't able to meet that criteria … must close," Henry said.
So 103 identified cases yesterday in BC... 186 today. :hmmm:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... ction.html
As I said, there has been a bottleneck in testing and only very likely cases are getting tested. That testing is catching up and the number are showing that. Dr Henry expects number in the 100's the next few days as the backlog fully clears.

When the testing first began, test were done at BC CDC and then sent to Winnipeg for confirmation. Then BC CDC was allowed to confirm tests. Last week they brought several other BC labs online but they still needed BC CDC to confirm. Now all the satellite labs can confirm cases.

Still though, only those with sympoms that require medical attention are being tested. Everyone else is sent home to self isolate.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

How the fuck can anyone hear what shes saying. Shes the lowtalker from Seinfeld.
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I am just getting over a flu that an equipment vendor from the states gave me as a goodbye gift at my job. I thought it prudent to call 811 and see if my coughing and fever are cause for concern.
After 78 attempts to get through, an hour on hold the nurse informs me its nothing to do with symptoms its exclusively an interaction with another confirmed case to determine testing eligibility.

Thats fucked
If you need air...call it in
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

I went to a lab yesterday and the workers were wearing masks and full face shields.

Reminded me of the movie Outbreak.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
There is word tonight that an Ottawa Senator player has tested positive for COVID-19. This would be the NHL's first positive test. Initial word is symptoms are not serious. Team is expected make official announcement.
8:00 PM · Mar 17, 2020·Twitter Web App

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/ ... 38082?s=20
el rey del mambo
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

The border between USA and Canada will be closed for all except those that are deemed essential or for trade. We need to be careful and look at how closing a bar is one thing vs. closing a manufacturing facility that makes things such as food and supplies needed every day. We also need to look closing sites or facilities that are considered low risk, i.e. a construction site. Where applicable I would assume they are going to close the high risk facilities and then move on from there.

I know that we need to minimize risk but a total shut down will have a YUGE impact on the government and budgets. With JT spending like a drunken sailor over the past 4 years we will see the Canadian government going into a huge deficit that will take years to pay back. We need to look long term when making decisions but again I am assuming the experts are doing this.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Some hope for those with pneumonia as a result of coronavirus:

Breakthrough: Chloroquine phosphate has shown apparent efficacy in treatment of COVID-19 associated pneumonia in clinical studies

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bs ... f/-char/en

More hope in that some of us may be immune already! Near the end of the article ..

“Even on the Diamond Princess (the virus-stricken cruise ship), the infection rate did not top 20%.” Based on these statistics, Levitt said, he concluded that many people are just naturally immune to the virus.

https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/arti ... ,L-3800632...

And finally, the latest and greatest for coronavirus followers, a tracking website set up by a 17-year old:

A teenager’s website tracking coronavirus has become one of the most vital resources for people seeking accurate and updated numbers on the pandemic. The URL is nCoV2019.live. We speak with 17-year-old Avi Schiffmann, a high school junior from Mercer Island outside Seattle, who started the site in late December, when coronavirus had not yet been detected outside of China. Now the site has been visited by tens of millions from every country on Earth. It tracks deaths, numbers of cases locally and globally, and provides an interactive map, information on the disease, and a Twitter feed. The resource updates every minute or so, and pulls information from the World Health Organization, the Centers for Disease Control and elsewhere.

https://www.democracynow.org/2020/3/13/ ... -190217293

https://ncov2019.live/data
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

USHL has officially cancelled the season today.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:31 pm I am just getting over a flu that an equipment vendor from the states gave me as a goodbye gift at my job. I thought it prudent to call 811 and see if my coughing and fever are cause for concern.
After 78 attempts to get through, an hour on hold the nurse informs me its nothing to do with symptoms its exclusively an interaction with another confirmed case to determine testing eligibility.

Thats fucked
To get tested you have to:

1) Have symptoms

AND

2) Have travelled from an infected area with 14 days

OR

3) Been in direct contact with someone who's tested positive.

I went through the same thing. We don't have the test kits or personnel to test everyone. We also don't really want to know how many have the virus as it would cause more panic. All we want to do is flatten the curve so we can cope with those that get sick. So if you have any symptoms you need to isolate for 14 days so you are not a spreader!
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:35 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:31 pm I am just getting over a flu that an equipment vendor from the states gave me as a goodbye gift at my job. I thought it prudent to call 811 and see if my coughing and fever are cause for concern.

Thats fucked
To get tested you have to:

1) Have symptoms

AND

2) Have travelled from an infected area with 14 days

OR

3) Been in direct contact with someone who's tested positive.

I went through the same thing. We don't have the test kits or personnel to test everyone. We also don't really want to know how many have the virus as it would cause more panic. All we want to do is flatten the curve so we can cope with those that get sick. So if you have any symptoms you need to isolate for 14 days so you are not a spreader!
There are not enough test kits available, BC is getting down to a critical level so only testing high risk people.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The good news is that we Swedes have practiced for Corona all our lives....

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.