Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:52 am So with the NHL suspending the season for a while this probably means they will not play 82 games.

How will this impact the Salary Cap?
From what banter I'm hearing, the NHL cap will go down or stay close to what it is now. It would have to stay at least the same to cover
existing contacts.
FFS: my best guess is the NHL ans NHLPA will talk when and if things settle down. It aint gonna be going up, not now.
Not unless Gary can print money..
"evolution"
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:52 am So with the NHL suspending the season for a while this probably means they will not play 82 games.

If I had to guess, I would say NHL season will be cancelled. The Stanley cup would not be awarded in this scenario.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

Micky wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:00 am

From what banter I'm hearing, the NHL cap will go down or stay close to what it is now. It would have to stay at least the same to cover
existing contacts.
FFS: my best guess is the NHL ans NHLPA will talk when and if things settle down. It aint gonna be going up, not now.
If the cap holds steady or goes down, will the NHL then allow teams to buyout 1 or 2 or more contracts without penalty? :D
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Mëds wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:57 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:48 am
Frank Seravalli
@frank_seravalli
#NHL WESTERN CONFERENCE STANDINGS
based on points percentage

Central
1. STL .662
2. COL .657
3. DAL .594
Pacific
1. VGK .606
2. EDM .585
3. VAN .565
Wild Card
1. NSH .565
2. CGY .564
---
3. WPG .563
4. MIN .558
5. ARI .529

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/sta ... 71616?s=20
They aren't going to get away with doing it based on win percentage with an unequal amount of games played. Currently the most played is 71, so they would have to get everyone to that number. The fewest is 68. The only teams that would have to play up to the max would be teams that could displace another team based on available points should they win those games in hand. That eliminates a chunk of required games for teams.

Winnipeg would finish outside while having more points, but over 2 more games played. They could argue that the teams in should have to earn those points because there's a 50/50 chance that they would lose at least one of the games.

Vancouver has 2 games in hand and a back-to-back against Arizona and Colorado starting tonight. Based on their record against those teams on the road there is a very good chance they don't get better than 1 out of the possible 4 points.

Minnesota has games against Vegas and Philly. That's a toss up, but realistically likely a pair of games the Wild will have to be very good in to get the 4 points required to bump the Jets.

Also of note is Calgary, in 3rd in the Pacific the wildcard doesn't seem to apply, however should Calgary lose their 71st game and Arizona win both of their remaining games they would tie the Flames at 79 points, have more regulation wins, Calgary would be bumped. The Canucks would only need to go .500 over their final two games to land at 80. The picture would then be

St. Louis
Colorado
Dallas

Vegas
Edmonton
Vancouver

Winnipeg
Arizona

Calgary would be on the outside unless they managed to win their final game.

Nashville could make it interesting for Dallas if they won both of their remaining and Dallas lost both in regulation. But I don't care about other divisions at this point, and would actually love it if the scenario unfolded where we get at least 3 of our remaining 4 points, Arizona grabs all 4, and Calgary misses by losing to the Islanders tonight.
If they're done playing games for the year they're going to have to finalize the standings for the purposes of the draft and winning percentage is really the only fair way to do it. Of course it's going to sting us like a sonovabitch to lose our pick and not even get to play playoff games, but hey, we're the Canucks right. Of course we can try to fight that if that's how the cookie ends up crumbling.
el rey del mambo
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Micky wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:00 am

existing contacts.
Gomer staying on top of it.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

My guess is they miss a month, seed where they lie, play. best of 5 rounds 1-3 then best of 7 for the finals
Last edited by Cousin Strawberry on Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

If they use the current stats-All the stats, for deciding factors, we are in the playoffs. So there's that.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Micky wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:14 am If they use the current stats-All the stats, for deciding factors, we are in the playoffs. So there's that.
Aaaand we have Marky back. Thats yuge.

YUGE!
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Calgary will hate that we finished ahead of them.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Vancouver makes the playoffs.

Doc, your comments.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Iain MacIntyre@imacSportsnet
Canucks are still in Arizona, awaiting their plane, summoned a half-day early. They’ll fly home this evening. Unclear what next step is, whether players disperse, stay and practise, etc. Lots of details TBD.
12:51 PM · Mar 12, 2020·T
Personal trainers? Their choice? MMM?
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Micky wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:14 pm
Iain MacIntyre@imacSportsnet
Canucks are still in Arizona, awaiting their plane, summoned a half-day early. They’ll fly home this evening. Unclear what next step is, whether players disperse, stay and practise, etc. Lots of details TBD.
12:51 PM · Mar 12, 2020·T
Personal trainers? Their choice? MMM?
You seem pretty revved about the personal trainers. Let’s hope that works out for you Gomer
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I’m thinking there is better than 50% chance the season and playoffs are done. If that happens the interesting questions for the Canucks are do they surrender their first round pick if they don’t make the playoffs? If there are no playoffs they can’t have made them. And secondly who is a lottery team if no one makes the playoffs? Does this open the possibility of another lottery with every team getting balls, like the Crosby lottery? Wouldn’t that be the precedent?
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:49 pm I’m thinking there is better than 50% chance the season and playoffs are done. If that happens the interesting questions for the Canucks are do they surrender their first round pick if they don’t make the playoffs? If there are no playoffs they can’t have made them. And secondly who is a lottery team if no one makes the playoffs? Does this open the possibility of another lottery with every team getting balls, like the Crosby lottery? Wouldn’t that be the precedent?
Looks like someone needs to get off their ass and dig out the NHL bylaws instead of just reading Twitter all day. Anyone? Anyone?

Agree on the 50%. This thing is far from over.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:09 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:49 pm I’m thinking there is better than 50% chance the season and playoffs are done. If that happens the interesting questions for the Canucks are do they surrender their first round pick if they don’t make the playoffs? If there are no playoffs they can’t have made them. And secondly who is a lottery team if no one makes the playoffs? Does this open the possibility of another lottery with every team getting balls, like the Crosby lottery? Wouldn’t that be the precedent?
Looks like someone needs to get off their ass and dig out the NHL bylaws instead of just reading Twitter all day. Anyone? Anyone?

Agree on the 50%. This thing is far from over.
Take it to another thread. You’ve been racing around with your hair on fire for a while now.