Time for a new G-Man?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Re: Time for a new G-Man?

Post by dangler »

Micky wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:58 am

Has the way TG coaches been subject to or altered by the knowledge your goalie will hold the fort down? I think so.
It's the whole team,not just the coaches.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:49 am Defensively this team is a mess. The Coyotes and the Islanders play a similar game. The Islanders were shit the season before Trotz was hired. Green has to make changes to the teams “Team defence” it’s absolutely shit right now and move to the Trotz style of shoot the puck in and forecheck style instead of trying to maintain possession entering the zone and the coughing it up. It’s not working when you don’t have Markstrom to save your hide
I think TG focused too much on scoring and not enough on defense. Which worked with the new talent infused into the lineup, but it entailed too much energy into that and only works good if you have a Dominik Hasek to bail you out every night.

And that is why Trotz strategy is sound and how he won a Cup with the Capitals and turned around the NYI team into a viable ultra strong team with not as much weapons to work with.

Team has had now two inexperienced NHL coaches at the helm, and now I believe with the new leaders formed and a new core in place, it's time for a new bench boss and voice to play vs the aging contenders out there.

Gallant seems like that guy and he'll have some vengeance to lay upon the league and his former teams who ditched him (florida and vegas).
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What’s with the weirdo Gallant obsession out there? The guy has gone through two recent random out of the blue firings. He’s not sliced bread ffs
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:38 pm What’s with the weirdo Gallant obsession out there? The guy has gone through two recent random out of the blue firings. He’s not sliced bread ffs
It’s too bad Quennville wasn’t available
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lets see Crosby has had 5 coaches, Ovechkin 6 coaches, Petey has had one....

Who will be his 2nd coach?

In any case hope we snag a good experienced coach before Seattle does:

Gerard Gallant or Peter Laviolette..... maybe Bruce Boudreau.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

I think Green is trying to coach to his team's strengths (young speed and offense) regardless of what it does for shot suppression. Problem is the lack of shot suppression is caving them in.

As for Ericksson, I can't shake the feeling that this is a management decision to give him the ice time he's had on the 2nd line with a view to offloading him this off-season. Hard to market him if he doesn't play. The only reason I can see Green keeping him there is he provides consistent play. He doesn't really help the offense but he doesn't seem to make the defensive gaffs that Green hates (thought he commits other ones).

Green is also learning as a coach and I think he's progressed since he got on the Canucks bench. No matter how the season ends he'll probably point out some places this season where he would have done things differently. I don't think he's as stubborn as some people say.

If the team doesn't make the playoffs, I'm not sure either one gets the can. Expectations were finely measured to be competing for the playoffs - not make the playoffs or bust. They are in a better place than they were this time last season and have improved pretty much since Pettersson made the team. JT Miller is proving to be worth the 1st round pick Benning paid. The Toffoli is defensible. Benning will have a chance this offseason to unload some of the more egregious contracts and improve the blueline.

Next season will be the make-or-break season for both.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I don't understand the 'fire TG' rave. Back in October, many experts had the Canucks picking bottom 5.. everyone wanted to be in a position to be fighting for a playoff spot.

... now we are EXACTLY where we wanted to be and you want to fire to coach that got us there?!?

Seems like a knee jerk reaction to a 4 game losing skid...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:35 pm I don't understand the 'fire TG' rave. Back in October, many experts had the Canucks picking bottom 5.. everyone wanted to be in a position to be fighting for a playoff spot.

... now we are EXACTLY where we wanted to be and you want to fire to coach that got us there?!?

It’s year six of the Elmer and Aquilini plan. Three years each to a couple guys learning the trade and cutting their teeth at this level in NHL coaching. Time to give Elmer a check book to sign a real coach or give him the boot. These players aren’t kids forever. Green may one day be a good coach. He’s had three years like Twitch did. You enjoy sticking with mediocrity...,,nope the players deserve better. It’s just a a shame JQ is in Miami.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:16 pm It’s just a a shame JQ is in Miami.
I'll bet right about now he's wishing he wasn't.

Fucking Panthers, they're the reason the fucking Leaves are in a playoff spot.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:20 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:16 pm It’s just a a shame JQ is in Miami.

To me he would be among the best guys to come here if he were available. I’m not a Boudreau guy. Lavy might be ok. ... Gallant could be decent. Maybe Montreal gives Julien the hook. I’m not ready to gas Travis yet. He gets the end of the year for sure. But he can’t shit the bed here. It’s hard to know with coaches. A couple of years ago Kirk Muller and Kevin Dineen were big names floating around. Where are they now?

Rod Brind’amour never coached a ton before getting the Carolina gig. Yet now he is revered. I always liked the guy as a player. To me ....Bo Horvat could be him- if he wanted to. Rod the Bod is a leader of men. I don’t see that with Travis. I’d love to be proven wrong. It’s been a fun year so far. Would love to top it off with a playoff berth
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:31 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:20 pm

To me he would be among the best guys to come here if he were available. I’m not a Boudreau guy. Lavy might be ok. ... Gallant could be decent. Maybe Montreal gives Julien the hook. I’m not ready to gas Travis yet. He gets the end of the year for sure. But he can’t shit the bed here. It’s hard to know with coaches. A couple of years ago Kirk Muller and Kevin Dineen were big names floating around. Where are they now?

Rod Brind’amour never coached a ton before getting the Carolina gig. Yet now he is revered. I always liked the guy as a player. To me ....Bo Horvat could be him- if he wanted to. Rod the Bod is a leader of men. I don’t see that with Travis. I’d love to be proven wrong. It’s been a fun year so far. Would love to top it off with a playoff berth
I would kill to have Brindy here.

I think at this point we'd have to have Travis walk the plank if we miss the playoffs... for 2 reasons.

One, to send a message that the team must make the playoffs at all costs moving forward.

Two, there will just happen to be some much-better-than-Green coaches available.

Boudreau, Lavy, Gallant... and maybe others, as you say.
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:35 pm I don't understand the 'fire TG' rave. Back in October, many experts had the Canucks picking bottom 5.. everyone wanted to be in a position to be fighting for a playoff spot.

Um, not true. I would look it up if I had the time but I recall most had the Nucks pegged to be competing for a playoff spot; the difference was whether you thought they would make it or just fall short. And that was before we knew how good could Miller would be. So expectations are unchanged I think.

That said yeah we are taking the losing skid a bit too seriously. We are still well in the hunt.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:47 pm That said yeah we are taking the losing skid a bit too seriously. We are still well in the hunt.
YUP!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:16 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:47 pm That said yeah we are taking the losing skid a bit too seriously. We are still well in the hunt.
YUP!
A couple of wins and we are back to bugging the fuck out of Gomer
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:27 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:16 pm
YUP!
A couple of wins and we are back to bugging the fuck out of Gomer
Gomer gonna get gimpy.