It's getting warm

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: It's getting warm

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:55 pm UK, kindly stick to teaching ESL and stay the fuck away from proper English or, God forbid, Science mmmmkay?
First, I'm not a ESL teacher, I am an English Lit teacher. There is a difference but since we are speaking about English as a second language, let me introduce you to the 8 parts of speech, specifically the word class - Adjective as used in scientific or political consensus. An adjective describes or modifies a noun thereby changing or adding to its meaning.

You see this is the trouble with using dictionaries when one doesn't know how to use one. I usually caution children about this.

Anyway, I can see your confusion. You think a scientific consensus is a collective judgment, position, and opinion of the community of scientists in a particular field of study. but you and every denier who uses the term this way are using it incorrectly.

In truth, used this way, Scientific consensus is actually a Political Consensus which "exists when a large proportion of the members of a society (scientific community at large) agree about how decisions regarding the distribution of values should be made.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 0767011153

The correct use and meaning of the term Scientific Consensus are that there is a consensus of science. As in: "The consensus that humans are causing recent global warming is shared by 90%–100% of publishing climate scientists according to six independent studies by co-authors of this paper. Those results are consistent with the 97% consensus reported by Cook et al (Environ. Res. Lett. 8 024024) based on 11,944 abstracts of research papers, of which 4014 took a position on the cause of recent global warming.

Be careful to note here:

This study and others were concerned not with individual opinions of scientists but with the study abstracts of which only 4014 actually took a position on the cause of recent global warming.
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10. ... 1/4/048002
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1 ... 8/2/024024
UMMMM. Did the scientific method remove the Plate Tectonics hypotheses/theory/argument 60 years ago? :roll:

Because, again, back then the "scientific consensus" was that Plate Tectonics was impossible.

(no evidence, no mechanism, etc)

BUT NOW... the NEW scientific consensus is that Plate Tectonics is where it's at.

To put it in layman's terms, you're an English teacher. :)

Actually "when scientific method removes competing hypotheses, theories and arguments"

... it results in bona fide Scientific FACT... not, as you said, "a scientific consensus".

It seems you also need a lesson on the term FACT and its meaning as well. And I know for a FACT you are not going to like this because

You are conflating Fact, Theory, Hypothesis, and the Scientific method:

A fact is a thing that is known to be consistent with objective reality and can be proven to be true with evidence.

Scientific Method is:

Make an observation.
Ask a question.
Form a hypothesis, or testable explanation.
Make a prediction based on the hypothesis.
Test the prediction.
Iterate: use the results to make new hypotheses or predictions.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/hig ... of-biology

Scientific method does not produce facts it produces better and better hypotheses that lead to a generally accepted theory that stands until new or more information is uncovered by more testing through the scientific method

Hypothesis is either a suggested explanation for an observable phenomenon or a reasoned prediction of a possible causal correlation among multiple phenomena.

In science, a theory is a tested, well-substantiated, unifying explanation for a set of verified, proven factors. A theory is always backed by evidence; a hypothesis is only a suggested possible outcome and is testable and falsifiable.)

Therefore your plate tectonics theory is exactly that a theory. The fact that we all agree with it does not in fact make it fact. The same goes with the Theory of Relativity and the Theory of Evolution... although in your case being a Christian Zionist Zealot and living in Abbotsford with all the Mennonites I'm not sure you agree on the last one :mrgreen:
Last edited by ukcanuck on Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

You teach English Lit as a second language?
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:52 pm You teach English Lit as a second language?
Some people learn it as a second language
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:52 pm You teach English Lit as a second language?
To the English
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:23 am
To the English
Yes actually when I taught English literature to the English they did comment on my Canadian as a second language.

Thought it was some kind of third rate American English

Told em it was west coast Canadian. They didn’t get it.

Maybe they will now Harry, Megan and chuck are Canuck fans?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:10 pm First, I'm not....

Blah blah blah, blah blah blah...
Listen, I've already responded to the consensus of Cook et all in this forum (with great success!)

Hey man, I already knew all of that... "what we have here is failure to communicate".

And it's all YOUR fault... wait, are you sure you teach English Lit? :eh:

Oh right, you had to go all the way to Dubai to find a gig… teaching English Lit to children! :lol:

Anyway, where was I...

Okay, I'm sure you are interested by now in how this is all YOUR fault.

And being the nice guy I am, I'm gonna tell ya! :thumbs:

If you scroll up, you'll notice I kept responding to this sentence of yours:

"Scientific consensus happens when scientific method removes competing hypotheses, theories and arguments."

It's a damn shame you had to use "removes" there buddy!

Seriously, what the hell were you thinking...

But hey, I guess everyone severely fucks up sometimes.

All is forgiven, carry on fighting the good fight in Dubai !!

It’s good to know that a Holocaust-denying Jewish-conspiracy-believing Israel-map-erasing anti-Semite

... is helping others to better understand the world around them! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:08 pm

Listen, I've already responded to the consensus of Cook et all in this forum (with great success!)

Hey man, I already knew all of that... "what we have here is failure to communicate".

Oh right, you had to go all the way to Dubai to find a gig… teaching English Lit to children! :lol:

Anyway, where was I...

"Scientific consensus happens when scientific method removes competing hypotheses, theories and arguments."

It’s good to know that a Holocaust-denying Jewish-conspiracy-believing Israel-map-erasing anti-Semite

That’s fine, I didn’t actually think you would wake up and accept that you were wrong. I’m pretty sure in the decade and a half I’ve been reading your Schtick Ive never once read where you admitted your wrong.

But hey you wouldn’t be the doctor Strangelove if you weren’t walking around cyberspace without noticing you weren’t wearing your clothes amiright?

Anyway let’s leave it where you think you have won because I have get off the beach and go back to work now.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:42 pm
Haha that’s a good one, did you just find that or have you been saving that one?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

ukcanuck wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:08 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:08 pm

Anyway, where was I...

That’s fine, I didn’t actually think you would wake up and accept that you were wrong. I’m pretty sure in the decade and a half I’ve been reading your Schtick Ive never once read where you admitted your wrong.

But hey you wouldn’t be the doctor Strangelove if you weren’t walking around cyberspace without noticing you weren’t wearing your clothes amiright?

Anyway let’s leave it where you think you have won because I have get off the beach and go back to work now.
BUTT before I do shuffle off to teach teenage Arab millionaires about Shakespeare’s Merchant of Venice (They seem to like that one the best dunno why)

You said I shouldn’t have used the word remove but even here (and yet again) the language escapes you.

The scientific method didn’t remove the plate tectonics hypothesis because it was and is the most plausible theory given the observable evidence.
So yeah the scientific method as I’ve outlined earlier is a process of eliminating competing hypotheses until one is left with a consensus of evidence pointing to fewer and fewer arguments against the best available theory.

In this case, the best available theory is AGW and all the straw in the world won’t build you a man big enough to change the conversation.

Also I laughed when you said you put Cooke et al to bed.
How could you successfully argue something you haven’t clearly and evidentially been able to grasp?

Scientific consensus = the evidence supports the proposed hypothesis

97% of 11,400 peer reviewed articles so far
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cook, scientific method, and geology as explained by an ESL teacher.

Please explain how Cook employed the scientific method.

Then I'd love to hear you explain tectonics and climate change.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:33 pm BUTT before I do shuffle off...
ROFLMAO... two responses for the price of one! :D

ukcanuck wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:33 pm You said I shouldn’t have used the word remove but even here (and yet again) the language escapes you.

The scientific method didn’t remove the plate tectonics hypothesis because it was and is the most plausible theory given the observable evidence.
So yeah the scientific method as I’ve outlined earlier is a process of eliminating competing hypotheses until one is left with a consensus of evidence pointing to fewer and fewer arguments against the best available theory.

UMMMM. Let's try this again Mr Whoosh:

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:55 pm
ukcanuck wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:14 pm Scientific consensus happens when scientific method removes competing hypotheses, theories and arguments.
UMMMM. Did the scientific method remove the Plate Tectonics hypotheses/theory/argument 60 years ago? :roll:

Because, again, back then the "scientific consensus" was that Plate Tectonics was impossible.

(no evidence, no mechanism, etc)

BUT NOW... the NEW scientific consensus is that Plate Tectonics is where it's at.

To put it in layman's terms, you're an idiot. :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:20 pm Cook, scientific method, and geology as explained by an ESL teacher.

Please explain how Cook employed the scientific method.

Then I'd love to hear you explain tectonics and climate change.
Irony.

The poor sap teaches kids why Lennie didn't get to tend rabbits

... but he doesn't realize he's Lennie. :(
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I just checked the archives and I see I got into "Cook et al" with UK :wow: once upon a time:

viewtopic.php?p=263758#p263758
____
Try to focus on someday.