Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Meds »

BigTuna wrote: Jeff Carter has an 11 year contract. His cap hit would be far higher if he signed it today. Apples and oranges. Rick Nash gets 8 million. Why not compare him? You're cherry-picking.
I'm not cherry-picking at all. This discussion is about Kessel, and why would I compare him to Nash? Nash and Kessel are both overpaid, although Nash seems to be coming around somewhat when it comes to being a 3 zone player. I'm chose Carter because I have heard both him and Kessel referred to as one-trick ponies (goal scorers).
Tuna wrote: Why is Kessel worth 8 million? Statistics. That's what you throw at a team to get your deal. You can't dispute it. Only Giroux has scored more than Kessel the past 3 years. (That's overall points, not just goals).
Overall points is a Mickey Mouse stat when trying to prove a players worth based purely on statistics, especially when comparing him to other players. Try points per game played. A little better picture there because it takes into account injuries and suspensions. Big deal, Kessel outscored Stamkos this year.....he also played 45 more games. So saying he's scored more points than anyone other than Giroux over the last 3 seasons means nothing really. But Kessel's P/G has seen him drop over the last 3 years. 6th - 11th - 22nd.
Tuna wrote: And stop the "Pure Goal Scorer who doesn't do anything else" nonsense. Kessel is an elite passer and one of the top assists getters the past couple of seasons. To say he's worth 5-6 million in 2014 is absolutely laughable. He has scored a lot more than Jeff Carter has recently. In fact, while Carter had a great year, he hasn't been consistently a top forward at all. Philly dump him for drinking, his first year in L.A they won the cup and he did not play well at all. Phil has been much more consistent. In fact, you can talk about Carter in the Olympics, but Phil Kessel was the best forward at the Olympics.
Define "one of the top assist getters" please. He hasn't been top-15 in the league in that department during the last few years. 17th, 17th, 22nd.

I also never said he's only worth $5M-$6M. I said that was a low-ball assessment. I would say $7.5M at a max, but $7M is reasonable for his stats alone.

He's scored more than Carter because he's playing for a team that doesn't even remember that they have a defensive zone. Carter is playing a 200 foot game compared to Kessel's 100 foot showings.

As for Carter in LA's first Cup run. You say he didn't play well at all.....I say that 13 points in 20 games on a defense-first team is pretty good. I say that being tied on your team for most goals scored is even better. I also say that being tied for most team GWG's in that playoff run is something that speaks volumes.

And good point about the Olympics. Kessel was the best forward at the Olympics.....and his team didn't win a damned thing. In fact they were bounced before the medal rounds even began. But again.....pure offense and nothing doing when it comes time to help out south of center ice.
Tuna wrote: Kessel signed his deal in much more recent circumstances with Patrick Kane. He gets 10.5 million. Kessel gets 8 million no issues there.

Jeff Carter is not considered a franchise player? Neither is Phil Kessel. have you heard the criticism this guy gets?

And are the leaves truly building around Phil Kessel? What about Bernier, Rielly, Nylander, Phaneuf, JVR, Kadri?
Kane and Toews are also overpaid. Watch what happens to the Blackhawks down the road, they only have 6 players locked up beyond 2 years from now. Sure they can try and move a player or two out to clear cap, but who? Sharp is about their only option. Nobody will take Bickell at $4M. They can do well now if they manage to find a taker for Hossa.....but who wants that contract in another year or two when Hossa is 37 or 38.

Generally speaking your top paid forward is the guy you are building your franchise around. He's either your franchise guy, or you don't overpay him like that. Have you heard the Kessel praises that CBC sings on HNiC? In 2013 they were still talking about Kessel during the conference finals.....and he didn't even do anything special in the 7 games the leaves played. Only one of his goals was timely in that it closed the gap for the leaves early in the 2nd period.....but yeah, good call, give the guy franchise money when he can't break open a game and be a difference maker.

Oh, and I know Carter isn't a franchise player. That was my original point.

Btw Tuna, why is it that the only season that Kessel has been able to put up better than 1.0 P/G was in a, 48 game, shortened season?
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

A few remarks:

Nash is not "Coming Around" at all. He's playing the worst hockey of his career. He was terrible in the playoffs.

And HNIC has mocked Kessel a lot. So praising him once hardly proves anything.

Kessel had 2 game winners, and 6 points in 7 games in the playoffs for the leaves. He has 13 goals, 21 points in 22 playoff games.
The "200 Foot" game is such a lame argument for Jeff Carter. Do you think the league's top scorers don't play that?

"Overall Points is a Mickey Mouse Stat". LOL That's a classic.

Kessel has been PPG in an 82 game schedule BTW.

And to correct you, Kessel was top 5 in assists in 2013'. You are incorrect.

And being healthy is an important part to a player's worth to a team.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

If you guys are going to continue on with this, start a new thread.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Or a least crop the quotes . What a fucking mess that is to read
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Or a least crop the quotes . What a fucking mess that is to read
You read it?
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Mod Edit: There is a Leaves thread now - leaf this one alone.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Wondering how its going to work out with Ryan Johansen in cbj. The guy just became the real deal but for some reason Columbus wants to run him through the grinder.
Would love to bring him home but there's not much we could offer there.
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Wondering how its going to work out with Ryan Johansen in cbj. The guy just became the real deal but for some reason Columbus wants to run him through the grinder.
Would love to bring him home but there's not much we could offer there.

I think they are simply using the CBA to get a better number. I dunno if it's the gears really. Let him tak a two year bridge and show he isn't a one year wonder.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

From what I've read, the kid is taking it pretty personal. Not sure that alienating your franchise cornerstone is worth it.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Uncle dans leg wrote:From what I've read, the kid is taking it pretty personal. Not sure that alienating your franchise cornerstone is worth it.

Ya he is pretty upset but that's just it, he is still a kid. He has the option of playing in the KHL if he wants.
The only HW the Canucks need
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Columbus is a poor franchise. They're trying to save money.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

BigTuna wrote:Columbus is a poor franchise. They're trying to save money.
Columbus is in an area that has lots of hockey markets surrounding them. Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago are all close by, Washington is about a 6 hour drive, St. Louis is a 7 hour drive. Both Buffalo and St Paul can be reached within a one day drive. This isn't a franchise in a non hockey market with no hockey markets nearby. Also both Ohio State and Bowling Green are close by with hockey programs that have been around for 45 years and plenty of NHL players graduating from those universities. Columbus is a poor franchise because they've been poorly run and haven't captured the sports fan in that city from all their losing ways. Low balling one of your key players won't save them money, it will eventually put the Blue Jackets out of business if they don't pay to keep their talent.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mr perfect wrote:
BigTuna wrote:Columbus is a poor franchise. They're trying to save money.
Columbus is in an area that has lots of hockey markets surrounding them. Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago are all close by, Washington is about a 6 hour drive, St. Louis is a 7 hour drive. Both Buffalo and St Paul can be reached within a one day drive. This isn't a franchise in a non hockey market with no hockey markets nearby. Also both Ohio State and Bowling Green are close by with hockey programs that have been around for 45 years and plenty of NHL players graduating from those universities. Columbus is a poor franchise because they've been poorly run and haven't captured the sports fan in that city from all their losing ways. Low balling one of your key players won't save them money, it will eventually put the Blue Jackets out of business if they don't pay to keep their talent.
Great post Mr P!

Almost..... perfect. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Or a least crop the quotes . What a fucking mess that is to read
Done.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Read that SJS officially stripped Jumbo Joe and Marleau of the letters off their jerseys next year.

Gotta think it leads to a trade. Rumour is its a ploy to get him to waive but if you obviously dont want them any more, doesn't this more or less cost you on a potential trade return? Not to mention demotivating them while they still play for you.