Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

dangler wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:42 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:30 pm
I hang onto Leivo for some perplexing reason. I think its he can be a factor down low when hes using his size. He is an economical skater as well so has some energy later in shifts still. This is a 180 for me as I've been waving the guy away til now.
That's what i like about Leivo too,retrieves the puck well on the dump ins,good skater,lots of energy.If only his passes & shots were a little more accurate :roll:
I doubt we see any trades until the TDD and with the injured bodies returning there isn't any immediate need
The trick is getting him to stop carrying the damn puck into the zone. He hangs onto the fuckin thing waaaay too long and skates himself into turnover like clockwork.

Coach him to dump, chase and cycle. This is where he can be effective
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:14 am The trick is getting him to stop carrying the damn puck into the zone. He hangs onto the fuckin thing waaaay too long and skates himself into turnover like clockwork.
That has been problematic with many Canuck players during this recent challenging streak.

I've been surprised by the dump and chase game that has been the preferred zone entry much of the season, especially from the Pettersson line. I have been especially surprised how effective it has been on many nights. Boeser's role in that has been a major improvement.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Dump and chase seems to be where Boeser especially has had some success. He is adept at turning over contested pucks behind the goal line and kicking out to an open man. Its why I can see a settled Ferland being a benefit to that top line.

He was tentative early on that line because he didn't know his line mates tendencies I suspect. This is absolutely where he should settle in on his return
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:43 am Dump and chase seems to be where Boeser especially has had some success. He is adept at turning over contested pucks behind the goal line and kicking out to an open man. Its why I can see a settled Ferland being a benefit to that top line.

He was tentative early on that line because he didn't know his line mates tendencies I suspect. This is absolutely where he should settle in on his return
I expect him to be more tentative when he comes back.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Topper wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:38 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:14 am The trick is getting him to stop carrying the damn puck into the zone. He hangs onto the fuckin thing waaaay too long and skates himself into turnover like clockwork.
That has been problematic with many Canuck players during this recent challenging streak.

I've been surprised by the dump and chase game that has been the preferred zone entry much of the season, especially from the Pettersson line. I have been especially surprised how effective it has been on many nights. Boeser's role in that has been a major improvement.
Every team seems to really trap the neutral zone nowadays (except for us), so the dump and chase style is gonna be a necessary skill our guys are gonna have to have. When the boys are skating they can really creat havoc doing it. Unfortunately edler and Myers are a little too slow now to handle playing blue line aggressively and get back in time to win a board battle.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

There's a few Nucks that play dump and chase well. Boeser has been mentioned. Petey can do it well. We know Bo can.
When he's on his game, Sutter can, (really). Leivo getting good at it, Jake should more but he likes to skate it in. Like I mentioned
somewhere Guadette is really getting good at it. Dumps it in then crunches the D-man trying to control it.
Miller is superman, he can do it all :thumbs:
Couldn't, wouldn't predict what Ferland will be like.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:38 am

That's why north/south player Horvat plays his best with someone like Dorsett in his early days and now Roussel, those guys play a no nonsense no fear type of player, so when they dump/chase these tough as nails fella's can give the defense a hard time and get some goals. And that's where Bo Horvat is playing his best, just a straight bull to the net after a dump and chase and he's good with little quick passes around the net, but he's not made to play the perimeter setup plays game/possession hockey, just a bull to the net quick fast goals.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:38 pm
That's why north/south player Horvat plays his best with someone like Dorsett in his early days and now Roussel, those guys play a no nonsense no fear type of player, so when they dump/chase these tough as nails fella's can give the defense a hard time and get some goals. And that's where Bo Horvat is playing his best, just a straight bull to the net after a dump and chase and he's good with little quick passes around the net, but he's not made to play the perimeter setup plays game/possession hockey, just a bull to the net quick fast goals.
Maybe someone like Ferkland (if healthy) and/or Jake can play that game and be a good compliment to BoHo.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

I hang onto Leivo for some perplexing reason. I think its he can be a factor down low when hes using his size. He is an economical skater as well so has some energy later in shifts still. This is a 180 for me as I've been waving the guy away til now.
That's what i like about Leivo too,retrieves the puck well on the dump ins,good skater,lots of energy.If only his passes & shots were a little more accurate :roll:
I doubt we see any trades until the TDD and with the injured bodies returning there isn't any immediate need
He had a good game last night, but, he still is slow making a pass, or dumping the puck into an empty corner. Instead, he draws 3 defenders towards himself, then coughs up the puck. Coach/beat that out of him, and I'll accept him on my 3rd line.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:14 am
The trick is getting him to stop carrying the damn puck into the zone. He hangs onto the fuckin thing waaaay too long and skates himself into turnover like clockwork.

Coach him to dump, chase and cycle. This is where he can be effective
damn. I just posted the same thing. Guess I should have read a few more posts first.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Every game, I could spend the entire GDT making posts about Leivo doing or not doing the little things that causes turnovers in all 3 zones.

Somehow they're subtle enough that people don't count or mention them in the analytics or they filter them out in the eye test department.

I receive constant notifications when I watch this guy and it's more annoying and infuriating than the bunch of the robocalls you get every day on your phone. He's like TG's own Megna & Chaput.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I myself don't really care if Leivo goes or stays, small potatoes. Hopefully that goal last night will boost his confidence.

-

Thinking about the goalie situation Marky UFA, Demko RFA with the expansion draft added into the scenario.

I wonder if the smart thing to do would be to cave into UDL's sell high on Demko trade?

Re-sign Marky 5 years ($5.4M AAV) - with a NTC (NMC during expansion draft), last year modified NTC.
*NOTED that we have DiPietro developing well and also have long-term project Silovs in the works.

A potential team for Demko would be the Blackhawks who need a shakeup and iirc don't have goalie of a future type? with Crawford at 35 UFA and last nights mad Lehner.

Eriksson ($6M) + Demko ($1M) + Baertschi ($3.36M)
for
Saad ($6M) + Lehner ($4.35m)% retain (UFA) + 2021 2nd

We use Demko to leverage moving out LE and Baertschi, while getting a top 6 winger in Saad that can help out Miller, Petey, Boeser, Horvat, Pearson and Virtanen. Saad will also be a UFA when Petey and Hughes need contracts, plus get an extra 2nd in 2021.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:43 am I myself don't really care if Leivo goes or stays, small potatoes. Hopefully that goal last night will boost his confidence.

-

Thinking about the goalie situation Marky UFA, Demko RFA with the expansion draft added into the scenario.

I wonder if the smart thing to do would be to cave into UDL's sell high on Demko trade?

Re-sign Marky 5 years ($5.4M AAV) - with a NTC (NMC during expansion draft), last year modified NTC.
*NOTED that we have DiPietro developing well and also have long-term project Silovs in the works.

A potential team for Demko would be the Blackhawks who need a shakeup and iirc don't have goalie of a future type? with Crawford at 35 UFA and last nights mad Lehner.

Eriksson ($6M) + Demko ($1M) + Baertschi ($3.36M)
for
Saad ($6M) + Lehner ($4.35m)% retain (UFA) + 2021 2nd

We use Demko to leverage moving out LE and Baertschi, while getting a top 6 winger in Saad that can help out Miller, Petey, Boeser, Horvat, Pearson and Virtanen. Saad will also be a UFA when Petey and Hughes need contracts, plus get an extra 2nd in 2021.
How about...Demko and Eriksson to the hawks for Seabrook and their 1st...not lottery protected.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Lenovo is to forwards what Lil Trojan is to defenders
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:14 pm Lenovo is to forwards what Lil Trojan is to defenders
Expand that to Sutter, Benn, Fatburger, Schaller, Motte and Beaglet and you’re more accurate
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”