Predators @ Canucks – 7:00 PM - Sportsnet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Re: Predators @ Canucks – 7:00 PM - Sportsnet

Post by UWSaint »

A few random thoughts about last night.....

* Predators were skating well and in the second and third had the better of the pressure. But that pressure was created by constant D activation, and it gave Canucks several dangerous counterattacking opportunities. That's not where their goals came from, but they were available.

* 6-on-5 completely passive box seemed unusual. Perhaps this is a function of a coach's decision that without Beagle and Sutter, these were the guys that were going to play the final 90 seconds, period. Kind of makes sense. I also kind of think that when Pettersson has "defense" as his role and he is very good at it.

* Demko was unbelievable at recovery. We wouldn't know that, though, if he was controlling his first stops better and didn't have to be his own hero so much. That rebound control only burned him once is testament to his focus and athleticism.

* With Miller off the Pettersson line, Pettersson was taking faceoffs again. He was terrible at it last year. This year he's been okay in limited reps. Last night I dont think he lost one draw clean. Given his hand-eye, his work ethic, and his ability to win pucks in scrums, I think that if he's takes more draws, it won't be long before he is average and it won't be that much longer until he is above average. It's a great skill to have, but usually it is developed over time through repetition.

* The lines got juggled b/c of Sutter's injury. But Horvat looked a lot better with Miller. Every line looks better with Miller, and the team looks better with two potentially dangerous lines. Problem is, Miller's the only player who right now looks like the right fit with Pettersson and Boeser.
Hono_rary Canadian
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

UWSaint wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:36 am

* 6-on-5 completely passive box seemed unusual.
I think the team has looked fatigued for the past half dozen games and this is how it looks.

Preds were unlucky to not take that game and we can chalk the win up Demko
If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

UWSaint wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:36 am
* With Miller off the Pettersson line, Pettersson was taking faceoffs again. He was terrible at it last year. This year he's been okay in limited reps. Last night I dont think he lost one draw clean. Given his hand-eye, his work ethic, and his ability to win pucks in scrums, I think that if he's takes more draws, it won't be long before he is average and it won't be that much longer until he is above average. It's a great skill to have, but usually it is developed over time through repetition.
That would really help me in my yahoo fantasy pool. Pettersson is great in all the scoring related categories, but I lose the faceoff category in almost every matchup. It really hurts carrying a centre who doesn’t regularly take faceoffs. :(
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.