Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:55 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:25 pm

Yeah it’s a different game for sure. I like the speed and skill but I miss the anger. I miss the rivalries and the physicality of years past. Everybody and their dog is gravely concerned about getting a concussion. Now you have children with alledgedly multiple concussions from heading soccer balls or getting bumped in a lacrosse game. Everyone feeling slightly dizzy from doing anything physical now automatically has a concussion.

Fighting will be an automatic ejection within the next ten years
I dunno, one thing I don't miss is a guy like Scott Stevens having a career. I don't think he ever "answered the bell" to any equivalent degree to the number of dirty hits he threw.

How could a guy like that answer the bell for almost killing Paul Kariya in the Final without even getting a penalty called? No fight is going to give Kariya his career back. Instead, Stevens fought 1-2 times a year, and was considered "tough".

I'm all for a middle road with fighting, but no dirtbags like Scott Stevens.
Stevens had over 100 fights in his career easily. He was a dirty prick but he sure as hell wasn't afraid to back it up. He fought all the heavies back in the day and more than held his own.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Remembering back; The game was intense. Very intense in the post season. I imagine plenty of players sustained life altering results due to
G-force impacts. Many, of them in some cases.
This is old and been seen many times;

But look at what he was up against. He was five foot ten. The barbarian in me still enjoys the 25 year past game but I can dig the new game
as long as the spirit of "Contact Sport" isn't messed with anymore than it already has. Enough of the tweaking.
Wouldn't advise, or support, a total ban on fighting as it's my belief, that could result in off-ice situations, "hypothetically".
"evolution"
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:58 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:25 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:20 pm It was better when you could beat the shit out of guys and just get a penalty. Now it can alter a guys career ffs.

No wonder 5'10 dmen are thriving in todays NHL
Yeah it’s a different game for sure. I like the speed and skill but I miss the anger. I miss the rivalries and the physicality of years past. Everybody and their dog is gravely concerned about getting a concussion. Now you have children with alledgedly multiple concussions from heading soccer balls or getting bumped in a lacrosse game. Everyone feeling slightly dizzy from doing anything physical now automatically has a concussion.

Fighting will be an automatic ejection within the next ten years
Fighters Montador, Belak and Rypien committed suicide

Fighter Kordic died of a combination of cocaine and steroids holed up in a hotel room scrapping with the police.

History of drug use eventually killed Probert

Boogaard drug overdose dead

Guys like Nilan have struggled. Keith Primeaus head is s mess

The list goes on. Carcillo is s mess

You not seeing a correlation with people who have had few fists bounced off their face consistently?? I don’t know about you but I do
There's a difference between the type of legitimate violence in hockey - two guys having enough of each other and dropping the mitts, or people standing up for each other or themselves when cheap-shotted - and the type of goonery that hit its apex in the early 90s. The guys you mentioned were enforcers at a time when fighting became a side-show off of face-offs. No real emotion or 'code' stemming from it. No rationale beyond 'trying to spark your team' or 'trying to send a message' (what message that would be when it's two designated goons dancing off a face-off because it's their job is beyond me)

I like hockey better when there's legitimate violence and intensity to it. Guys who know how to handle themselves and will police each other. It can't be someone's primetime job, but they have to be ready to do it. When Lucic was fast enough to play he was a valuable asset. Now, he's just a goon. People who were calling out Ferland for not having so many fights - well look at him now. I'd rather he have dropped the mitts to protect one of his teammates than protecting his rep as a fighter. I'd rather he was still playing.

I appreciate the league trying to weed out the senseless violence, but the Lucic suspension is BS. Sherwood should have seen it coming and got back up instead of trying to milk a penalty from it like a fucking Italian football player.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The sideshow 4th line goon I definitely don’t want to see, and I think most agree with this. The Ferland fight was pointless. You want fights to happen as the emotions are ramping up in a heated game, I still want that. But for me it’s more about the lack of hatred between teams, I definitely agree with Torterella here, players are too friendly with each other in today’s NHL due to all the friendships formed from the endless amounts of international tournaments etc., the league will never get back to that full on hate for the opposing players they way it used to be
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Not to mention social media.
"evolution"
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Lancer wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:33 am
I appreciate the league trying to weed out the senseless violence, but the Lucic suspension is BS. Sherwood should have seen it coming and got back up instead of trying to milk a penalty from it like a fucking Italian football player.
I read somewhere that this is Lucic's 3rd time being called for the same type of play. It woulda been BS the first time. The 3rd time, it's the right call.

But...please don't suspend Lucic for too long. Calgary gets better when he's gone.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Tciso wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:14 am
I read somewhere that this is Lucic's 3rd time being called for the same type of play. It woulda been BS the first time. The 3rd time, it's the right call.

But...please don't suspend Lucic for too long. Calgary gets better when he's gone.
:lol:
Thats what i was also thinking!

Like the leaves and the cock
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:31 am
Strangelove wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:42 pm
micky107 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:56 pm Too much from Lucic? Ya. Two games is harsh. A five minute would have been fine. You could even do a two and five.
Lucic received 4 minutes for the incident from the refs.
No kidding, Einstein.
Really? Cuz it sounded like you didn't have a clue there Hawking.

It sounded exactly like you were (seriously) comparing a 2-gamer to 5+2-minutes.

Read the red, you should really work on your communication skills Steve!

Strangelove wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:42 pm It's the DPS we're concerned with here.
Yes; The Department for Players safety is a separate entity'.
Got that too Al.
Again, it sure SOUNDED like you didn't.

Strangelove wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:42 pm
micky107 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:56 pm Goalies will not be pleased.
:?
Maybe I could have added; with the decision of the DPS.
My bad.
Damn straight you bad!

Your posts are getting harder and harder to decipher old buddy.

You should see a doctor about that...

micky107 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:56 pm Just don't want to see net minders getting upset about things.
Actually... now that you mention it... there's not a lot more entertaining than a very upset netminder. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:51 am
Damn straight you bad!
Thanks!
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

No need to thank me Mickster...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Tciso wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:14 am

Go to the source......the overhead is spectacular.

Milan has a history of sucker punching.

https://www.nhl.com/news/milan-lucic-su ... =277549076
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:01 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:59 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:49 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:20 pm

No wonder 5'10 dmen are thriving in todays NHL
“Git yer MHGA hats and vote now! Make Hockey Great Again!” - Don Cherry

we need more Jack McIlhargy’s, and less Quinn Hughes!
You didnt enjoy it when it was punishing hockey?
He never played contact sports. He rode around in his spandex as a child.
Talking about the Chef or Don Cherry? :mex:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:03 am
Stevens had over 100 fights in his career easily. He was a dirty prick but he sure as hell wasn't afraid to back it up. He fought all the heavies back in the day and more than held his own.
He certainly had a reputation as a fighter from the early-80s, but he didn't do it often and from his dirty hit on Lindros to his dirty hit on Kariya, he only fought 8 times in 3 seasons. His last ten years, he fought 18 times.

We can agree to disagree, but I have zero respect for Stevens or his style of play, and a guy throwing blind-side hits does not impress me as tough. He played that way through the "Tough NHL" era, and barely had to answer for it.

Maybe one could argue Stevens got dirtier when the instigator penalty was taken away and he was less likely to be held to account...
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

ESQ wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:32 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:03 am
He certainly had a reputation as a fighter from the early-80s, but he didn't do it often and from his dirty hit on Lindros to his dirty hit on Kariya, he only fought 8 times in 3 seasons. His last ten years, he fought 18 times.

We can agree to disagree, but I have zero respect for Stevens or his style of play, and a guy throwing blind-side hits does not impress me as tough. He played that way through the "Tough NHL" era, and barely had to answer for it.

Maybe one could argue Stevens got dirtier when the instigator penalty was taken away and he was less likely to be held to account...
If you checkout hockeyfights he definitely fought more in the beginning, but you could also argue that had a lot to do with proving himself. Once he was established, where was the need. Getting punched in the face isn't nice and if you didn't have to, would you bother?

That said he had 6 fights in his 4th last pro season as a 34 yo. That's not bad and after that, just one a year.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Stevens was a good player at a time that allowed his style of game to thrive. You have to wonder how he’d do in today’s game? Most likely he would not be as affective due to the rule changes
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau