The Brexit disaster

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The Brexit disaster

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:41 pm yes, he refers to the immigration issue, not racism, because of course no one calls themselves racist.
Right so as a true lefty you're confusing issues with immigration and racism, thought so...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:47 pm
Per wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:41 pm yes, he refers to the immigration issue, not racism, because of course no one calls themselves racist.
Right so as a true lefty you're confusing issues with immigration and racism, thought so...
The issues are intertwined. You could ostensibly oppose immigration for non-racist reasons, eg economy, scarcity of resources, etc, but those arguments are weak. Albeit there is often an initial cost for immigration, over time societies with more immigrants do better than those with fewer.

Racists, however, are almost always anti-immigration, for obvious reasons. Thus racists willeasily be courted by anti-immigration arguments. It’s a dog whistle thing. The respectable politician will ensure he has nothing against minorities, ”but we need to control immigration”. And the racists will say ”hell yeah”.

Look at this ad used by the Leave campaign:

It is completely misleading. Turkey has not been accepted as a candidate country, and even if it were, it would be near impossible for them to ever join as every single member nation has a veto regarding taking in new members, and there are several countries (France, Austria, Hungary, Poland, Greece, etc) that been very clear they do not want Turkey as a part of the union. The ad makes the statement that they will join, and in a drawing reminiscent of that notorious propaganda movie from Nazi Germany, comparing the migration of Jews to the rats spreading bubonic plague, it seems the entire Turkish population is heading to the UK. This is the kind of lies, fear mongering and, yes, racism, that they used on social media.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Meanwhile, the lack of immigrants willing to come to the UK continues to cause problems...
Millions of apples left to rot in UK as Brexit uncertainty worsens EU fruit picker shortage
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 63781.html
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I don't think there are even a fraction of the number of extreme racists you seem to think there are Per.

(note lefties see an extreme racist behind every bush)

I challenged you on your statement:

"Sure, off the record some of (leaders of the Leave campaign) admit they couldn’t have pulled it off if it weren’t for the racist vote"

You have yet to prove that statement is true...
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Funny how "racists" suddenly becomes "extreme racists". Another strawman from the master, lol.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:40 pm Funny how "racists" suddenly becomes "extreme racists". Another strawman from the master, lol.
Well you'd have to be an extreme racist to let it affect your stance on immigration/leaving the EU.

Common sense if you'd been following the conversation... instead of just 'out for revenge'.

(you little butt-hurt monkey you) :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

So, just to be clear, most of them are run-of-the-mill racists who don't oppose immigration?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:59 pm So, just to be clear, most of them are run-of-the-mill racists who don't oppose immigration?
Seriously?

You can't comprehend that there are different degrees of racism?

I categorize those that would let it affect them to the degree of Brexit as extreme.

Why are you making a federal case of this?

Oh yeah... butt-hurt monkey. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:01 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:59 pm So, just to be clear, most of them are run-of-the-mill racists who don't oppose immigration?
Seriously?

Sure I can. We're just talking about the proportion of those opposing and not opposing immigration.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:02 pm
Seriously?

Sure I can. We're just talking about the proportion of those opposing and not opposing immigration.
You're really out there aren't ya big guy? :lol:

A butt-hurt semantics monkey...
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:06 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:02 pm
Seriously?

You're really out there aren't ya big guy? :lol:

A butt-hurt semantics monkey...
Let's be honest here. Why would anyone who is racist want more of "those people" in their country? It stands to reason that they don't. Unfortunately they don't ask these questions on the census, so it's not within the realm of provability (or deniability). :)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Listen #5 if you want to categorize those whose racism drives them to vote for Brexit as "racists"

... rather than "extreme racists" that's you prerogative pal.

I'm going to continue to consider them extreme racists alrighty pal? :roll:

Now if you don't mind, Per and I were having a grown-up conversation.

Per, do you have anything to back up your statement:

"Sure, off the record some of (leaders of the Leave campaign) admit they couldn’t have pulled it off if it weren’t for the racist vote"

I doubt it, but I'm genuinely curious...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:40 pm Funny how "racists" suddenly becomes "extreme racists". Another strawman from the master, lol.
Global Cooling >>>>> Global Warming >>>>>>> Climate Change >>>>>> Climate Emergency
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:27 pm
Global Cooling >>>>> Global Warming >>>>>>> Climate Change >>>>>> Climate Emergency
Except in this case it was Strange using the extreme terminology.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:24 pm Image
My apologies...
____
Try to focus on someday.