GDT: Canucks at St. Blues Oct 17 5:00 PM Start

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks at St. Blues Oct 17 5:00 PM Start

Post by dangler »

Hank wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:26 pm Leivo hate is still here. He's still not very good in the 60 minutes part of the game.

Great move after watching 5 unsuccessful attempts at shooting into Binnington's pads.
yeah, there was some lame attempts by both teams prior to your boi Leivo sealing the deal :P

Great game by Demko
Looks like Ferkland has un ferked himself (time will tell)

2 10 am starts this weekend....i like this
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So like ya, who scored? Who got assists. How was the pk, pp. game recap?!?!?

It’s sad I have to go to another hockey site to get this information!
The only HW the Canucks need
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

SKYO wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:46 pm Leivo bro! don't listen to the hf-like haters here aha.
dangler wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:06 pm yeah, there was some lame attempts by both teams prior to your boi Leivo sealing the deal :P
Oooh, shots fired... :lol:

I'm no flip-flopper. Imma wait for UW to back me up.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

rats19 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:23 pm
Lancer wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:21 pm Where’s the Leivo hate now??
:roll:
Behind a very thin layer of.... fuck ya :mex:
Almost a facade. Sweet deke though.

Great effort by the team. And impressive determination and grit. More of that and the playoffs won't be just a dream.

Nice to see both Horvat (with a little extra help from Petey) and Ferland pot one tonight.

Hughes is just plain fun to watch. Would have liked to see him a little on that 5 on 3. But a win is a win.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:17 pm So like ya, who scored? Who got assists. How was the pk, pp. game recap?!?!?

Goals:
1) Ferland from Birdbones and Elder. Sutter crashed the crease and Ferland picked up the leftovers.

2) JT "What first round pick?"* Miller from Motte and Myers. Rebound on the rush off of Motte's shot (which hit the post). [*For Hank's benefit]

3) Bo from Petey and Leivo. (In the last second of a full 2 minute 5-on-3 PP which wasn't great but at least they bagged one at the end - scratch that - apparently puck crossed the line after power play was over). Petey crashed the crease and looked like he may have potted the puck first but Bo made sure there was no question.

4) Leivo only goal in 6th round of the Shootout with a nice deke and a fall to the ice while roofing the puck.

Comments:
Demko with another very solid outing.

Virtanen with lots of hustle and some good plays but no puck luck.

PP wasn't great - 0 for 5 but penalty kill was - 4 for 4.

Canucks outhit the Blues 15 to 11 and had 32 shots to Blues' 37.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Just finished watching on tape delay. Holy fuck what a game! I only saw two pages on the GDT so I was anticipating a blowout by the Blues. The whole game it felt like we were going to have Canucks luck, even when Petey was putting the puck around the goalie, I thought 'no way'.

But then the Captain tucked it home!

Strong game by Virtanen. He is learning to hold on to the puck longer.

Demko so solid.

Petey is finding room in right spaces now, and not always electing to shoot. He's starting to find his game.

Loving Myers. So much poise.

Can't wait for the weekend now!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

...............................................................................................................................Full Shootout

https://streamable.com/7z4yl# Ferland

https://streamable.com/6x8lp# Miller

https://streamable.com/at4dp# Horvat :cheers:

After Leivo scores the shootout winner>>> https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1185 ... 6%3Fs%3D21

Postgame; Demko / Horvat / https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/postg ... /c-4390035
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Quite the game mm? Obviously plenty "not" to like, particularly in the first two periods. No-way I thought we'd come out on top.
Demko could have easily booked it after those 2 in the second but he tightened up the britches and shut the door. That no panic attitude
is a thing of beauty. Then duels it out with one of the premier net mindes in the league in the looooong shoot-out.

Edler was all over the place. Bad and good. Certainly has plenty of energy early in the season. Calm down big fella.

Saw some real positive play "and thought" from Hughes. Kids gonna be fine. From what I'm seeing, he does learn quickly.
Benn was OK. Myers was good and bad. Tanev didn't block as many, (good). Still don't know what to make od Stecher. He has to get use to less
ice-time, we'll see.

Horvat got his first and even though it may have or may not,have been pushed under by Petey, ( I did a frame by frame and there's no clear view),
it's great to see him get it. Hat trick next game, now that he's brimming with confidence. Miller is one hell of a good, hard working, smart player.
Showed again in this game. Ferland you can see him getting his strength and compete level back for sure.
Freakin Jake is good and bad. Stupid senseless 2 minute penalties. Damn.
Petey and Brock are smart guys and hopefully they'll start lighting it up. (says with fingers crossed). They have to !!
What I did like is that nobody gave up. Happy Leivo. Don't get cocky pal, doesn't mean your the go-to guy in every shoot-out, lol.

Of note; You can see the new rules on coach's challenges taking effect. IE; Would the Blues have challenged the Canuck's first goal
if it were last year. I bet they may have...

Good resilient game by our dudes. Not the easiest to watch. Take the 2
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

When does the goalie controversy thread start?

Canucks managed to hang with the Blues.

Blues simply leaned on Elias for much of the night knowing he's still not strong enough. He broke free a few times though.

Horvat needs wingman, could 21 draw back in?

Sutter and Beagle lines do the heavy lifting 5 on 5. Frerland still looks lost. Jake with another strong role game finding his inner asshole.

Hughes, keeping you on the edge of your seat at both ends of the ice.

Who is Adam Gaudette?

PK status perfect, even with an extended 5 on 3.

Overall,, good old fashioned goalie duel.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:17 pm So like ya, who scored? Who got assists. How was the pk, pp. game recap?!?!?

PP was awful. Zone entries were terrible, with the first unit relying on “hero” entries and the second dumping it in without regard for whether a player was moving in with speed. When they finally gained possession, Blues were outstanding clogging lanes and blocking shots. They had a disciplined, no panic PK.

A two minute 5 on 3 generates nothing until the end. Design is as it was last year — 2 up top, 3 below in a line, with wingers pretty low and pretty wide. The only movement is Edler or Brock (up top) switching back and forth or leaving the zone and reentering with the intention of getting lost then staggering their depth and hoping to draw top pk guy to one while the other can get puck with forward movement. There’s a logic to it, but last night it didn’t work at all.

The PK was good again. Blues were gaining entry but Canucks did pretty well keeping game on outside and clearing the puck. Demko had to make stops, though (unlike Binnington who didn’t fave a pp shot during the first 3 Canucks pps).

All the goals the Canucks scored were from crashing the net. All were rebounds of on type or another (off binnington, off the post, off a prone defensemen in the crease).

Two of the Blues goals were similar, the third was a nice shot off a cross ice pass that Demko read but didnt have his angle on when he pushed off from his glove side to his blocker side. (Left too much on the short side).

I’ll give Leivo credit for that shootout goal. He sold the shot with a very convincing fake. Binnington (who played very calmly, very solid) dropped a pad, and while he recovered to make the push off on the deke to the forehand, the push was weak and late and Leivo had enough time and space to lift the shot over Binningtons pad. Well executed.

Less observed observations:

Green shortened the bench in the third and the three players who sat were Beagle, Schaller, and Ferland. That Motte was used instead of Ferland was very interesting, as Ferland was playing fine. Motte lost his man on the Blues first goal but played well otherwise.

And who was on the ice during the penultimate shift in the third (which would have been the last shift but for an ozone faceoff with 15 seconds left)? Quinn Hughes. That’s a huge sign of Greens confidence. Hughes played his best game on defense this year. He was keeping a very tight gap on zone entries, and it made things real difficult on the Blues trying to gain possession on Hughes side.

Forwards used in OT were 6-9-17-40-53-70. No Sutter, no Ferland, no Virtanen. Hughes, Edler, and Tanev were used on D.
Hono_rary Canadian
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Topper wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:05 am When does the goalie controversy thread start?

Canucks managed to hang with the Blues.

Blues simply leaned on Elias for much of the night knowing he's still not strong enough. He broke free a few times though.

Horvat needs wingman, could 21 draw back in?

Sutter and Beagle lines do the heavy lifting 5 on 5. Frerland still looks lost. Jake with another strong role game finding his inner asshole.

Hughes, keeping you on the edge of your seat at both ends of the ice.

Who is Adam Gaudette?

PK status perfect, even with an extended 5 on 3.

Overall,, good old fashioned goalie duel.
I thought the Pettersson line shifts in the third were the only ones where it felt like the Canucks were not just hanging on. Blues leaned on EP, but he, Brock, and J.T. had the Blues in their own zone and playing to not lose.

Agree on Horvat. Line doesn’t work with Leivo, didn’t work with Ferland, and Sutter looks a lot better with Virtanen, so I wouldn’t use him with Bo. Maybe 21. Maybe 88. Maybe Baer or Goldy.
Hono_rary Canadian
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Who comes out for little things tho?
If you need air...call it in
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:10 am Who comes out for little things tho?
Gaudette should get in before little things, & like you say,who comes out?
I doubt the line-up changes until someone is injured or colossally fucks up!

PP still needs work
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

not likely after gwg