GDT: Canucks vs. Detroit Oct 15 7:00 PM Start

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks vs. Detroit Oct 15 7:00 PM Start

Post by Mickey107 »

Mëds wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:36 am
UWSaint wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:39 am * Leivo and Ferland didn't play well. That sentence could probably be written after every game this season. People on this board know I am not and have never been a fan of Leivo's game; last night the flaw you might have missed was how often he turns away from the play and gives the defense an easy out. People say, hey, at least Leivo can be valuable in the bottom 6 because of his big frame. What's the use in a big frame if you aren't even getting in the opposition's way? Ferland's trouble seem much more in line with "squeezing the stick" than lack of awareness or compete.
Ferland said after the second game in Calgary (or maybe just before?) that he knows he has to get his physical game going and start generating some energy because that's where he builds his game from. I still think that will come. But for now he's not providing what he was brought in to provide. Fortunately he's not on an unfriendly contract, and he's not making excuses. He's one good game from finding some swagger and then going on a 5-10 game tear where opposing defenders are checking their sixes going back for pucks.....which will only generate more offensive chances for the good guys.

Leivo's biggest flaw from my observations of the last couple games has been his completely thoughtless approach to the game in his own zone. Failed clearing attempts, lazy plays, and lack of physicality. He's happy to try and skate onto a breakout pass, and it feels like he's always hovering high in the zone waiting for one, but he lacks the speed to really get to a place where he can receive it. He reminds me of a slow, heavy, Mason Raymond on offense.....head into the opponents zone and then peel off and away when he doesn't have a totally unimpeded path to the net or lane for a shot.
Whatever was wrong with Ferland that caused him to lose 10 pounds probably decreased his muscle strength and his stamina, so it might be a
month from when he came back and started till we see him closer to his best. It does look like that to me. Think I saw a wee bit more feisty
last night. If it still looks so-so into the first week of November, I'll start worrying.

Leivo has great stick handling abilities; that being said, his head is down to much. He does not have a plenitude of "on ice awareness",
and that, more often then not, will simply end up with "endless" turnovers. As long as he's moving straight ahead, he's OK and he's a fit on a
second unit powerplay, I suppose.
However; does that not beg the question ), WHY NOT BAERTSCHI? Put it this way; if Baer can stay healthy, take the hits, produce offence and
continue to use the great skating ability he possesses, for say a month, or less, in Utica then I'd, at that point say cya Josh.
As an aside; Horvat and Baertschi work real well together and other than his role on the PP, Captain Bo is off to a bit of a slow start.
see, I can be calm. ;)
"evolution"
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

micky107 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:19 am ...
However; does that not beg the question ), WHY NOT BAERTSCHI? Put it this way; if Baer can stay healthy, take the hits, produce offence and
continue to use the great skating ability he possesses, for say a month, or less, in Utica then I'd, at that point say cya Josh.
He looks like he can take a hit here:

https://twitter.com/dkeeping/status/1184610638703689728
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

That's great! Encouraging too.
"evolution"