GDT: Canucks vs. Detroit Oct 15 7:00 PM Start

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks vs. Detroit Oct 15 7:00 PM Start

Post by Mickey107 »

Stecher seeks his own revenge after being elbowed by Erne

https://twitter.com/dooley_matt_/status ... 3428970496

Grrr Stecher the goon
Last edited by Mickey107 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://preview.redd.it/q03b9mohzts31.g ... 5a6c636ba4

oops, wrong game. :oops:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bo Horvat is Really, Really, Happy
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Image Take; https://www.tsn.ca/trio-of-power-play-g ... -1.1381932

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A Wings forum; https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2019/ ... s-lose-bad

They didn't like the game, :( nice write up though... 8-)
Last edited by Mickey107 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

'
Walkin back to the room, all triumphant. high fives, fuckin eh! Benn with a fake low five at the end..... :lol:

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1184 ... de%3Dfalse

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Almost everyone had a decent game tonight. Concentration was the best I've seen this year yet. Guys contributing in all areas, in all roles.
Was a good confidence building game. Good feeling to have embarking on a road trip. Be a fun plane ride. Lots of bonding.
Canucks mae the Wings look bad. Even if they are, we made them look even worse.
Good thing too; next up; St Louis on Thursday...
Last edited by Mickey107 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:22 pm Is HW still in Bosnia? Just in case, it's 4 - 1 Nucks. Stretcher, Edler, Petey, Miller.
Thank you!! On the bus on the way to Optija then back into Slovenia, Bled. Still 4 more days until I’m home!! Thanks for the update
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:39 am
5thhorseman wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:22 pm Is HW still in Bosnia? Just in case, it's 4 - 1 Nucks. Stretcher, Edler, Petey, Miller.
Thank you!! On the bus on the way to Optija then back into Slovenia, Bled. Still 4 more days until I’m home!! Thanks for the update
Opatija is pretty nice this time of year.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

How long until teams pressure Edler at the point on the PP. It is quite effective with teams worrying about Boeser's and Pettersson's shots from the circle allowing Horvat and Miller to stack high/low in the slot. Will two of the four forwards then drop down low to work on a cycle game?

Teams should leave the same, or even tighten coverage on #6 and #40, slide the two defenders in the middle N-S to cover the three Canucks stacked through the middle. Detroit was too slow in getting to Edler and they were using the player covering #40 instead of the one in the high slot.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

One of Horvat or Miller is always left uncovered as they were playing the diamond to take away Edler, Petey and Brock. The Canucks can keep throwing in low shots from the point and it will be two on one going after the rebounds. With Horvat and Miller being the two, I like the odds.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Considering the horrendous start, that was a spectacular finish.

The team played a very complete game. They were fast, physical, put pucks on net, went to the crease, got in front of Bernier, cleared the net for Demko, didn't take stupid penalties.

Demko with a start that every backup hates to have.....didn't let it phase him and was full marks for the win.

Early returns on Miller are looking VERY good.....on pace for 114 points. :lol:

The dynamic skating of Hughes makes a very noticeable change to our breakout, especially against weaker teams. He's also going to save Tanev some bruises and hopefully reduce Chris' time on IR.

Nice to see Edler picking up where he left off last year.

Watching Myers clear guys from the crease or force them into the end wall is almost comical.

Benn brings a relatively mobile physical element. Tries to do a bit too much at times, but is a massive upgrade on the 3rd pairing.

The PP is way better, due in no small part to having doubled up the net presence and not having a floater constantly below the red line. It also helps that the 3 guys on the perimeter can all shoot and relay the puck easily. Again, it will have to perform against the better teams.....but really, every team and player pad their stats against the softer competition.

Leivo is the worst player on this team. If it works cap-wise I would be demoting him and recalling Baertschi as soon as the latter starts to show he's physically ready to engage.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Excellent game overall. Observations:

* The Red Wings aren't good. One strong young line, a few unmovable vets, a poor defensive group overall, and average goaltending. Particularly noticeable was the poor passing coming out of the zone. Seems like the Canucks lived that movie pretty recently.... They will have a lot of games like this and they will struggle to get to 70 points.

* The Red Wings lost their form after the two quick goals to start the second. After that, they started trying to muscle the Canucks where they could. The Edler give-a-hit-instead-of-take-a-hit in the 3rd period was emblematic of the Canucks' response. It was like, you want to get physical? Okay, Olivia, let's get physical.

* Schaller's open ice hit on Larkin was a thing of beauty. Totally clean.

* The Beagle-Schaller-Motte line was outstanding. Seemed like they played a lot more than they did, because their names were always being called because they either had the puck or were engaged with the Red Wing player with the puck. Still, the game was a draw with them on the ice.

* Comments in this thread on the power play and how Detroit did not optimize how they played it are spot on. Still, Canucks are going to have options if teams approach them differently. Canucks are now in the middle of the pack with PP efficiency, and their combined special teams number (PP% + PK % * 100) is 114.9. 100 is average. But small sample sizes here; don't get too high or too low about special team performances yet.

* Leivo and Ferland didn't play well. That sentence could probably be written after every game this season. People on this board know I am not and have never been a fan of Leivo's game; last night the flaw you might have missed was how often he turns away from the play and gives the defense an easy out. People say, hey, at least Leivo can be valuable in the bottom 6 because of his big frame. What's the use in a big frame if you aren't even getting in the opposition's way? Ferland's trouble seem much more in line with "squeezing the stick" than lack of awareness or compete.

* As a fan, you hate the gaps between games because you look forward to the season and then it starts like a dripping faucet. But for the team, it is ideal. More practice time (when you need it), and a very comfortable schedule -- two games in Alberta then 3 at home -- with 4 games out of five against teams that missed the playoffs last year. The pace of the games will pick up, but the quality of opponents does not (all that much). 7 games in the next 14 days, only 2 against playoff teams last year.
Hono_rary Canadian
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Mëds wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:10 am Leivo is the worst player on this team. If it works cap-wise I would be demoting him and recalling Baertschi as soon as the latter starts to show he's physically ready to engage.
They are both on a 1-way deal, so the "buried" rule applies. The Canucks are saving $1.075 million in cap space off Baestchi's salary by having him in the minors. The Canuck will save $1.075 million by sending Leivo down -- $1.5 million if he is claimed off waivers. The Cap is not an issue.
Hono_rary Canadian
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Good post UW, except now I have Olivia in my head dancing and singing lets get physical.

I want to compliment Green on allowing Hughes to be Hughes and let him rush up the ice. I believe I head the Canucks are currently third in the league for Defence points, this is a good thing.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I wish Sven would get some games down there so he can earn a recall, but he's still only one gp in two weeks, due to the weird ahl schedule.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

UWSaint wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:39 am * Leivo and Ferland didn't play well. That sentence could probably be written after every game this season. People on this board know I am not and have never been a fan of Leivo's game; last night the flaw you might have missed was how often he turns away from the play and gives the defense an easy out. People say, hey, at least Leivo can be valuable in the bottom 6 because of his big frame. What's the use in a big frame if you aren't even getting in the opposition's way? Ferland's trouble seem much more in line with "squeezing the stick" than lack of awareness or compete.
Ferland said after the second game in Calgary (or maybe just before?) that he knows he has to get his physical game going and start generating some energy because that's where he builds his game from. I still think that will come. But for now he's not providing what he was brought in to provide. Fortunately he's not on an unfriendly contract, and he's not making excuses. He's one good game from finding some swagger and then going on a 5-10 game tear where opposing defenders are checking their sixes going back for pucks.....which will only generate more offensive chances for the good guys.

Leivo's biggest flaw from my observations of the last couple games has been his completely thoughtless approach to the game in his own zone. Failed clearing attempts, lazy plays, and lack of physicality. He's happy to try and skate onto a breakout pass, and it feels like he's always hovering high in the zone waiting for one, but he lacks the speed to really get to a place where he can receive it. He reminds me of a slow, heavy, Mason Raymond on offense.....head into the opponents zone and then peel off and away when he doesn't have a totally unimpeded path to the net or lane for a shot.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:49 am Good post UW, except now I have Olivia in my head dancing and singing lets get physical.

I want to compliment Green on allowing Hughes to be Hughes and let him rush up the ice. I believe I head the Canucks are currently third in the league for Defence points, this is a good thing.
It's early, but that feels like a complete reversal from years past where we were probably 3rd last. :P