2019/20 Pacific Division

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019/20 Pacific Division

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ESQ wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:30 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:32 am
micky107 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:29 pm
Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports
I asked Milan Lucic if he was asked to waive his NTC in last year to go to the #Canucks : “No never. There was never a trade to Vancouver as far as I’m concerned.”

Doesn’t sound like Eriksson - Lucic swap ever got serious.
4:54 PM · Jul 19, 2019 ·
Reckon it was the media that started the rumors, mm? :oops:
The media here starts a lot of false rumours.
Canucks Army wrote:Two weeks ago, Jason Gregor of TSN 1200 appeared on TSN 1040 and said a source told him that Benning and company talked about swapping Eriksson for Lucic
Dude, care to share your thoughts with Halford and Brough?
Talked

Benning and company at a bbq picnic - “hey Brackett toss me a tall one from the cooler will ya? So, Wesibrod, what about an Eriksson for Lucic deal?” - “not sure Loui will waive, Jimmy”. “Well, at least we talked about it. Steamer tell Gregor we talked about it”
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Coyotes getting a lot of love.

Yes, they added the biggest name in the Pac with Kessel, but their leading scorer got 47 points, and nobody got 20 goals.

And that was a season with almost no injuries.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:30 pm Coyotes getting a lot of love.

Yes, they added the biggest name in the Pac with Kessel, but their leading scorer got 47 points, and nobody got 20 goals.

Who cares.

You can have 3 guys who produce at better than a point per game and still get bounced in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Just ask Dubas. :lol:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:06 pm

Who cares.

You can have 3 guys who produce at better than a point per game and still get bounced in the 1st round of the playoffs.

And Tuna!
If you need air...call it in
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:06 pm
Who cares.

:lol: ok ok, fair point! I suppose they could wind up like the Islanders and come out of nowhere to make the playoffs, led by Captain Phil the Thrill
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Lacked injury... sarcasm?

Nick Schmaltz missed half the season. He was brought in to be a top line player. He had better work; the Coyotes gave up Strome and Perlini to get him.

Chychrun missed almost half the season. He is a top 4 defenseman with #1 overall potential (all situations, 25+ minutes a game, match up against top lines) who reminds me of Edler -- the size, the physicality when used (and not used), the offensive potential, and, yes, his familiarity with medical doctors. Chychrun is only 21 years old -- greatness is still possible; the floor (barring career ending injury) is an oft-injured quality player.

Their #1 goalie was injured for the whole season. Kuemper did fine, but it the Coyotes got lucky there.

Jason Demers tore his ACL and missed more than half the season. He's a decent second pairing player, no worse than a # 5 guy.

Grabner also missed half the season. He's the kind of depth that you use to move around the offense when your plan A doesn't work because of injury.

Stepan, Galchenyuk, and Histronoza all missed 10 games -- all top 6 on the Coyotes. Most teams experience that, but when you are marginal offensively (as the Canucks know), it can make a huge difference.

If you look at $$ lost, one might conclude that the Coyotes didn't have it so bad. But Schmaltz and Chychrun were on ELC's. The Coyotes were ravaged with injuries -- in the same general tier as the Canucks in the bad luck department.

The Coyotes are competing every bit as much with the Canucks to get a top 3 spot in the Pacific or a wild card. Their improvements from health + personnel will arguably be as great as the Canucks. But I think Kuemper is a big question mark, I am not sold on Schmaltz, they still are going to struggle to score enough (unless Keller truly breaks out), and the Coyotes need to adjust OEL's usage to match his on-ice play and not his reputation. But if things break, they also could be a 100 point team.

The main reason that I have them "out" and the Canucks more likely to be "in" is that (1) I expect the Canucks best forwards are better players, (2) I think Kuemper's likelihood on playing poorly is greater than Marky's, (3) the Canucks additions have the effect of removing their worst players (Guddy, Pouliot, to a lesser degree Hutton, Leivo (from a top 6), whereas the Coyotes only addition was to replace one of their best players (albeit with a better player), and (4) the Coyotes seem to have a destiny to be on the outside looking in.

On the flip side, a healthy Coyotes defense corps better than Vancouver's healthy defense corps.
Hono_rary Canadian
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

NJD give up a 2nd + 3rd for Gusev.
The Golden Knights have acquired a 2020 third round pick and a 2021 second round pick from the New Jersey Devils in exchange for forward Nikita Gusev.
They sign him to $9 million over two years (4.5 AAV).

Not too shabby for the NJD, albeit we don't how he'd perform in the NHL.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:05 am

Lacked injury... sarcasm?
When I look at their injuries, I don't see any significant injuries to players I consider Key. Of course, that's partially because they don't have any key players other than OEL.

They had the 3rd-worst offence in the league. Soderberg might be their new #1 center, which pretty much sums up their off-season. Kessel was a good addition, but he's going from playing most of his shifts with Malkin or Crosby. They needed another top-3 forward, instead of another 2nd/3rd line tweener.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Just bumping this thread, biggest surprise for me thus far is Edmonton, but IMO their early success is 100% driven by James Neal.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

ESQ wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:02 pm Just bumping this thread, biggest surprise for me thus far is Edmonton, but IMO their early success is 100% driven by James Neal.
I think it’s more tippet has them playing a system that really supports the dmen. Also Ethan bear looks like he may be the real deal.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:17 pm
ESQ wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:02 pm Just bumping this thread, biggest surprise for me thus far is Edmonton, but IMO their early success is 100% driven by James Neal.
I think it’s more tippet has them playing a system that really supports the dmen. Also Ethan bear looks like he may be the real deal.
Ya they finally have structure to their game
If you need air...call it in
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

You could be right, but imo they've had defense-first/trap coaches before. Right now they're 3-0 and a guy that they acquired for a bum has 6 goals out of 14, and they've given up 9 goals in 3 games. While Ethan Bear is a -2 with 0 points and 17 min/gp.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

ESQ wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:11 pm
You could be right, but imo they've had defense-first/trap coaches before. Right now they're 3-0 and a guy that they acquired for a bum has 6 goals out of 14, and they've given up 9 goals in 3 games. While Ethan Bear is a -2 with 0 points and 17 min/gp.
Have you watched the games though? Ethan looks good
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Looks like Arizona is starting to fade, and I seriously question the timing of the Gallant firing in Vegas.

Could the Pac go all-Canadian for the 1-2-3 seeds?

For most of the year I thought the central would have the two wild card spots, so best seeding is 2nd or 3rd. But right now it looks like any seed in the pac could go to the WCF.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I'm also looking at Calgary's -12 in goals for/against and wondering how sustainable that is over another 32 games.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."