GDT: 05/10/19> Canucks vs Flames> 7:00PM>SNETP/CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Re: GDT: 05/10/19> Canucks vs Flames> 7:00PM>SNETP/CBC

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:42 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:45 pm The Canucks look like a team trying to figure themselves out with all the new faces. I have no complaints about their game at all
There’s this, but our best players have yet to make an appearance this season. Pettersson has 3 SOG in two games....

Maybe we’re just waiting on a Captain...
Well he had a lot of missed shots. And also both Boeser and He are exhibiting that hesitation as well.

By the way, I applaud Hughes' aggressiveness and willingness to take shots, but his shots from the points are a bit of an issue.... they go wild and often resulted in the other team getting the puck
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:31 pm
CrzyCanuck wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:30 pm no one is going to the dirty areas

All these low percentage shots are pumping up Rittich's stats
Was thinking the same thing, no one tipping getting the rebounds.
Bo alone in front and the Flames aren't really converging on him to clear the crease, which is actually opening it up for Rittich to see shots because he's not fighting with around his own defensemen, just looking around Horvat.....Calgary is more focused on taking shooting lanes away from Pettersson and Boeser, and then collapsing down on the crease after the shot. They also did a good job of eliminating passing lanes to the slot when Petey had the puck. Neither of Pettersson or Boeser are shooting for a tip, they are trying to rifle it when they get a window.

If the defense is playing the shot and slot entry, then take the lesser quality shot and go for the deflection. Seriously, Bo did not have a ton of work to do on the PP tonight, they were cheating bad and we never adjusted.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

CrzyCanuck wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:24 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:42 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:45 pm The Canucks look like a team trying to figure themselves out with all the new faces. I have no complaints about their game at all
There’s this, but our best players have yet to make an appearance this season. Pettersson has 3 SOG in two games....

Maybe we’re just waiting on a Captain...
Well he had a lot of missed shots. And also both Boeser and He are exhibiting that hesitation as well.

By the way, I applaud Hughes' aggressiveness and willingness to take shots, but his shots from the points are a bit of an issue.... they go wild and often resulted in the other team getting the puck
Same story with a bunch of Pettersson's one-timer attempts so far this year.

I also wish he'd quit testing the glove on goalies from the slot. Needs to start making the goalies think twice. Everyone knows he likes to look off and then rifle it high glove.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

This is a great, yet simple, play by Pearson. https://streamable.com/o5p14# More, please.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

With Petey, Boeser and Hughes you just have to let em fly, don't restrict their creativeness.

They've proven that when they're in their zone they are almost unstoppable, it's early rust in the season and these guys are just warming up.

In the mean time I'd put Boeser with Horvat for a few games just to shake up the top line a bit, Brock Boeser almost won the Calder playing with Horvat.
2018:

Boeser, Horvat and Baertschi make up the infamous “B’s” line, and they had people buzzing with their high-speed and dynamic offensive game.

The chemistry was already there, as they were the bread and butter of the Canucks’ offence and one of the only watchable aspects of 2016-17
Sven Baertschi - Bo Horvat - Brock Boeser

It was a limited amount of time, just 80 minutes at 5-on-5, but what we saw out of this trio was enough to suggest they’ll be a solid line with leanings towards becoming a half-decent first line. They posted a 51.91% corsi together and seemed to immediately find chemistry.
Just now Pearson-Horvat-Boeser.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

When you watch the replay of Myers hitting Giodano, Gio looked more like a soccer player with his dive forward. Swear he dived 5 feet forward to make sure the refs saw it.

Other reasons the Nucks lost:

Flames with 17 block shots to Canucks 6
Ferlund with only 3 hits in 2 games, need this guy to do more
EP with only 3 shots on net in 2 games

Boeser had 6 in last nights game alone as well as Myers, there needs to be more screening and tips or getting the rebounds. The good thing is that as the game progresses you can see them skating more and controlling the play. Also Hughes passes are stick to stick and hard, again as time moves forward the team will start clicking. I see a big win on Wednesday so we can all exhale on that day.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:47 am With Petey, Boeser and Hughes you just have to let em fly, don't restrict their creativeness.

They've proven that when they're in their zone they are almost unstoppable, it's early rust in the season and these guys are just warming up.

In the mean time I'd put Boeser with Horvat for a few games just to shake up the top line a bit, Brock Boeser almost won the Calder playing with Horvat.
2018:

Boeser, Horvat and Baertschi make up the infamous “B’s” line, and they had people buzzing with their high-speed and dynamic offensive game.

The chemistry was already there, as they were the bread and butter of the Canucks’ offence and one of the only watchable aspects of 2016-17
Sven Baertschi - Bo Horvat - Brock Boeser

It was a limited amount of time, just 80 minutes at 5-on-5, but what we saw out of this trio was enough to suggest they’ll be a solid line with leanings towards becoming a half-decent first line. They posted a 51.91% corsi together and seemed to immediately find chemistry.
Just now Pearson-Horvat-Boeser.
I would definitely have a look at Miller with Pettersson. He protects the puck while moving his feet then hits the open stick with a pass really well and i can see that fitting in with EPs game.

Boeser looks a little slow with his first step so far this year.
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I still see the same kind of quick breakout system this staff likes to employ.

When most teams breakout with short, halfboard pass to guy on the fly, to streaking guy to enter the zone with speed... we see the Dman along the boards whip hard up passes to the winger who is standing still just on the other side of the red line. The opposition D plays it the only way he can by being right on the guy's back. The only play then is to tip it in and have the other forwards get in on the forecheck with speed to recover the puck.

That happens more than the other types of breakouts, unless you're Quinn Hughes and have some leeway. There are hardly any possession entries. Of course, that means our players actually need to be able to pass and receive passes with speed and I haven't seen this consistently the in the Willy/Green years, unless it was the Sedins.

I still stand by my opinion of Sven, but for the love of God, what is the love for Leivo?! 12 PP minutes in 2 games is more than Petey. Sven would be much more effective out there. Same with Edler over Hughes on the PP. FFS, they score on one of those powerplays early and it's a different game.

On the bright side, the team is definitely better. Most of the goals given up were unlucky turnover types.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!