GDT: Canucks @ oiler - 7pm- SN-P -Oct 2

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ oiler - 7pm- SN-P -Oct 2

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

27 minutes for draisaitl. Good luck with that come february tippett. He wears down
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mëds wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:45 am
It's not at all uncommon for young players to go through a period of transition as they put on muscle and get stronger. Petey has more mustard on his shot and the increased power will change the flex in his stick and chances are he will get more lift under the puck, and depending on his curve it might pull one side more. I only caught the last half of the game, but from the shots I saw him unload most of the misses were going high and/or to the right.

Noticed a bit of the same with Brock last season.
Interesting observation about his shot, I noticed the same thing and just put it down to being the 1st game of the season. Once he gets that under control then 40 goals may be in his reach. He reminds me a lot of Hull.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:48 am That is the second time I've seen Hughes with a lazy backhanded whiff while turning away from the play at an opponent coming down the middle.
If you're referring to the McDavid goal, I'd have to say pull your head out of your ass.

How many times has McDavid done that to more experienced defenders?

How many of them actually get their stick on the puck like Hughes did? It's not a lazy play. Hughes and Tanev needed a change, Doc's boy makes a terrible play and Hughes and Tanev have to turn to catch McDoofus.

Did you fail to see that despite McDavid alread skating forwards, Hughes was able to turn and still stay with him enough to get his stick over and contact the puck? The reason it wasn't as effective as one would hope is because Hughes is 5' 10" and just lacks the reach.

Plenty of average players would have been disrupted enough on that play by the defenders stick contacting the puck.....McDavid isn't your average player.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Mëds wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:05 am
Topper wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:48 am That is the second time I've seen Hughes with a lazy backhanded whiff while turning away from the play at an opponent coming down the middle.
If you're referring to the McDavid goal, I'd have to say pull your head out of your ass.

How many times has McDavid done that to more experienced defenders?

How many of them actually get their stick on the puck like Hughes did? It's not a lazy play. Hughes and Tanev needed a change, Doc's boy makes a terrible play and Hughes and Tanev have to turn to catch McDoofus.

Did you fail to see that despite McDavid alread skating forwards, Hughes was able to turn and still stay with him enough to get his stick over and contact the puck? The reason it wasn't as effective as one would hope is because Hughes is 5' 10" and just lacks the reach.

Plenty of average players would have been disrupted enough on that play by the defenders stick contacting the puck.....McDavid isn't your average player.
McDavid is a great player. And he beats the best from time to time. You are right. It’s why I started my bullet list game impressions post with kudos to Boeser for deftly neutralizing McDavid in a couple of occasions.

But that McDavid beats the best from time to time doesn’t mean defenders get a pass when it happens. Judging “the process” and not the result, would a d coach say “Quinn, you did everything you could there?” No. I called it a miscommunication in my impressions post, because I thought the only reason QH could ever have played that play the way he did is if he thought it was Tanev’s guy.

One of the consistent scouting knocks on QH is his wide positioning. This exposes the middle and seems a totally unnecessary cheat given QH is not as susceptible as the average D in getting beat wide because of his skating agility. This is a very solvable problem, requiring coaching and experiences like last night that coach’s can use. And, of course, QH’s desire to continually improve.

He had a real good game with a few obvious warts. Nothing wrong with pointing them out. The one above is fixable; the one that is more concerning is how he was manhandled by Draisitl. But it every other aspect of the game, we saw some really great and skilled work. Who’s not excited at the possibilities QH presents?
Hono_rary Canadian
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So is Hughes 6 games in a bust now that the fastest hockey player in the world, the best hockey player in the world parted the seas between him and his partner? Please, the goat on that goal was Sutter the beloved
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:30 am So is Hughes 6 games in a bust now that the fastest hockey player in the world, the best hockey player in the world parted the seas between him and his partner? Please, the goat on that goal was Sutter the beloved
Agreed. He had maybe his worst game as a canuck
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hughes was one of those lady hairs away from legally knocking the puck off McDavid's stick. I do not see how he can be accused of doing
anything wrong. He could have done a head first slide and and let McD tumble over him into Marky. An infraction may have been called though and
both McD and Marky may have been ouched. That may have been an option in overtime in a playoff game 7 overtime. ;)
Tanev was a moving truck away from the play to the outside.
If blame must be laid, put it where it belongs, (look up at the youtube), BRANDON SUTTER attempted a pass out of the Canucks side of
center that my85 year old Mom could have picked off.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

curious which are thicker? Lady or men hairs?
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:30 am So is Hughes 6 games in a bust now that the fastest hockey player in the world, the best hockey player in the world parted the seas between him and his partner? Please, the goat on that goal was Sutter the beloved
No, Hughes isn't a bust.

Yes, Sutter was the goat. Didn't move his feet (could have skated it out unopposed, Oilers were in retreat; could have created a lane where none existed) and threw a lazy pass up the wall to no one in particular. Sutter made the kind of play that benches less experienced players.

And Hughes didn't bail him out because he was slow to react, stumbled on the turn, and then took a parallel path in retreat instead of forcing contact or movement towards Tanev's side. Sutter's error was unforced; Hughes simply didn't maximize the chances Sutter's error wouldn't result in a goal.
Hono_rary Canadian
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

1st GA - Horvat loses his check chasing the puck leaving The 50 goal German all alone in front of the net
2nd GA - Lazy change by the Canucks with the puck making it's way back up the ice
3rd GA - Sutter giveaway out of his zone, pass attempt to Eriksson skating out there with no cares in the world after it was intercepted.

1st GF - Sutter knocks off McJesus's helmet and then skates directly to the crease providing the perfect screen

Blame Sutter, it's the easy choice.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:32 am
Agreed. He had maybe his worst game as a canuck
Who? Hughes or Sutter?

Birdbones was having a good game until that lazy, unacceptable turnover.

And anyone who suggests Baer and Goldy would serve this team better than the other bottom 6 players... you can't just pro-rate their avg. top 6 results and apply it with their bottom 6 minutes.

They don't PK, so the unit would be taxed. Special teams count and ours would take a huge hit. That leaves them playing 5-7 minutes 5-on-5 a game with no PP. Maybe they pick up the occasional lady hairs here and there on the PP, but those two aren't going to generate offence on checking lines.

If our current bottom 6 is meh defensively, imagine these two facing the top lines in this league when they don't have last change on the road. That's not going to generate offence. Maybe for the other team.

They're soft as hell and would get eaten up alive chasing without the puck. (Marginal) Top 6 or bust.

I'd like to see Gaudette in the lineup, but I bet he draws in the home opener and not on this road trip.
vic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:08 am 2nd GA - Lazy change by the Canucks with the puck making it's way back up the ice
To be fair, Pearson spent his time arguing with Smith and the ref after his stick was ripped out of his hands, putting us a man down. That should have been a penalty on Smith. It did look like a lazy change, Kassian had that entire side to walk in. Sutter's play late in the game was inexcusable for a vet.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

micky107 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:36 am .
Yes, Tanev was wide to give Sutter the option of flipping the ice to break out and then was clearly going to change. Right or wrong positioning by Tanev, ideally Hughes reads that and knows he has the center lane. I don't think he recognized where his partner was, possibly explaining his delayed reaction.

I won't knock him yet for not playing with the assumption that that Sutter, Leivo, or Stecher will turn the puck over when coming out of the zone.
Hono_rary Canadian
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Hank wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:10 am To be fair, Pearson spent his time arguing with Smith and the ref after his stick was ripped out of his hands, putting us a man down. That should have been a penalty on Smith. It did look like a lazy change, Kassian had that entire side to walk in. Sutter's play late in the game was inexcusable for a vet.
If that as Sutter or Eriksson arguing with Smith and the ref, it would have been a different feeling - because it wasn't one of the two whipping boys, it's excusable.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

UWSaint wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:18 am
micky107 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:36 am .
Yes, Tanev was wide to give Sutter the option of flipping the ice to break out and then was clearly going to change. Right or wrong positioning by Tanev, ideally Hughes reads that and knows he has the center lane. I don't think he recognized where his partner was, possibly explaining his delayed reaction.

I won't knock him yet for not playing with the assumption that that Sutter, Leivo, or Stecher will turn the puck over when coming out of the zone.
I don't think most coaches would take issue with getting beat by the best player in the world on such a bang-bang play, as long as the effort was there to defend.

What drives coaches nuts is the lack of defensive effort... standing around, coasting or just waiving a stick (ahem, Goldy). Lazy turnovers are the worst sin. Green might have talked to Sutter about it, but he isn't going to air that out publicly and do that to a vet.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hank wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:10 am

And anyone who suggests Baer and Goldy would serve this team better than the other bottom 6 players... you can't just pro-rate their avg. top 6 results and apply it with their bottom 6 minutes.

They don't PK, so the unit would be taxed. Special teams count and ours would take a huge hit. That leaves them playing 5-7 minutes 5-on-5 a game with no PP. Maybe they pick up the occasional lady hairs here and there on the PP, but those two aren't going to generate offence on checking lines.
So you want to see bottom 6 players all special team guys who are on the PK or based upon the current makeup of the Canucks there are no 3rd line players that can do both PK and provide some offence?

Most teams do not have 2 checking lines, their 3rd line has some skill, no?