GDT: Canucks @ oiler - 7pm- SN-P -Oct 2

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ oiler - 7pm- SN-P -Oct 2

Post by Carl Yagro »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:43 pm
Hank wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:36 pm
DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:33 pm
Hank wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:17 pm Myers from Hughes and Miller.

Oh yeah, the new guys. Two of whom Canuck fans were whining about.

The D is hella better and true top 6 forwards are just that... not a bunch of tweeners with Audi leases.
One game is a tad early to claim validation or invalidation of the summer moves....
It's really not considering Miller and Pearson's resumes over a Goldobin or even Baertschi. Not to mention Myers and Benn over Hutton or Gudbranson.

Their games were validated long ago.

Can you invalidate that the D isn't already miles better?
The "whining" re. Miller was whether too much was given in the trade. I don't recall anyone stating that Miller was not an improvement in the top 6.

Did anyone say that the D wasn't better? I think the "whining" re. Myers had more to do with the contract rather than anyone saying he wasn't an improvement over the previous D.
The value of the Miller trade are just opinions, man.

You may have yours but there are many who think a former 1st rounder who has consistently proven he can score points, can stay healthy, is in his hockey prime, on a very friendly team contract, who was traded previously for a 1st rounder, gives this team exactly what they've needed, right now to help our young talented core take the next step... is well worth a conditional 1st who may not be ready to contribute in the next 2-4 years (or ever).

Myers is a UFA right-handed Dman, and for a UFA contract it is both good in aav and term.

It's just opinion that Benning could grind Tampa into the trade or any other similar trade without giving up anything. No GM is willing to just give up assets just because they're tight to the cap (Well, except Dumbass). If he waited for "better" deals, this team would be as bad as the last 4 years and the fans would not stand for that.

The validation isn't about trade or contract value. It's whether this team at least looks better than before, even if it's only the first game. They may not achieve their goal this seaon, but that healthy D is clearly a vast improvement. The top 6 is clearly better. That was the summer goal, mandated by the owner. Nobody at Orca is looking to save some bucks and hope a Swiss and Russian can magically become true top 6 players.

This team is all in with this group now. These are really good pickups and the value is fair. Now He just has to fix the previous bad moves that he made.

Agree with UW, that Sutter play was complete shite.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Hank wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:35 pmThe validation isn't about trade or contract value. It's whether this team at least looks better than before, even if it's only the first game.
No, the validation is whether the moves made improve the team to the extent that it justifies the price paid.

That isn't determined in one game.

More like a season.

81 more games to get it right.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Last edited by Mickey107 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Last edited by Mickey107 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:04 pm
Hank wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:35 pmThe validation isn't about trade or contract value. It's whether this team at least looks better than before, even if it's only the first game.
No, the validation is whether the moves made improve the team to the extent that it justifies the price paid.

That isn't determined in one game.

More like a season.

81 more games to get it right.
Oh, lawd... the price paid for them is already below market value for top-pairing players. Look at some of the recent RFA and other UFA signings. Even Miller's NTC has been invalidated after the trade. Another bonus.

So, if some of these other teams' signings don't live up to their new contracts this year, but they've had consistent, proven results in the past, or their team doesn't take a quantum leap forward, then it doesn't justify the price their GM paid? They paid market value or they lose them. I'm going to be very interested in watching how the Jets and the Leaves fare... ok, not the Leaves.

It'll take the season to see if they've improved in the standings from before, but I stand by the fact that these moves have clearly made this team better already.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Just one game and by the way, too bad we almost always have to start with a direct rival, but we probably deserved a point.
I really saw very little from lines 3 and 4 in regards to trying to do anything than defend. Same with the Oilers though.
I suppose Sutter was the most dynamic in that bottom six. That will have to be better to climb from where we were last year.
Wont bother to use individual names in that bottom six. Gotta be better!

Defense was shaky. Stecher the worst. Benn not that intimidating yet. Tanev and Edler look "start of the season young", hope that keeps.
When Myers gets a good couple of strides to start, he's a freight train. Hope we see plenty of that.
Quinn Hughes learned a shit load about life in the NHL in that third period. Over 10;00 minutes. That's a ton. He looked better and more
of an offensive threat in that last frame. Was a bit overwhelmed, it seemed, in the first 2 thirds of the game.
Edler looks happy and healthy. Great re-sign.

Line one needs more time to get up to speed. Pete was dangerous, always is, and although not moving that well yet, Brock has an eye for the
game. Knows where everyone is and makes great passes. IE; most of the Oilers thought he would pass to someone around or closer to the net,
but no, he gave it to Edler who had line of sight. Smart. Ferland needs more time with these guys. It takes a while to learn to read guys like that.

Line two was are best. Bo was alright but Miller and Pearson were very good, at least tonight. Guess Pearson does belong there!
Did I say I didn't want to analyze the bottom six? ;)

When McDavid sees a path to the net like that, aint too many times he's gonna be stopped...

No big complaints on Marky.
Last edited by Mickey107 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Good game. Very entertaining and lots to like with the D. Hughes got stetchered by draisaitl fairly regularly but made up for it on the offence. Myers is a very nice addition, Benn looked better than the preseason, still getting into game shape maybe but theres hope.

Top 6 controlled the play more and more as the game went on. Miller is wicked

Bottom 6 looked pretty rough, spent lots of time in their own zone fumbling and turning pucks over.

Jake, Sutter Eriksson looked indifferent to me. Whats up with that? Those 3 can play somewhere else now...i wont miss them

But my BIGGEST revelation is Markstrom. Hes picked up right where he left off which wasmy biggest concern. This is huge for us.

Onto the next one.
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Oilers stars were better than ours, but we showed we are the deeper team. Not surprising on both counts. When Edler has as many shots as Boeser, Pettersen, and Horvat combined...

Sutter with the shitbox blue line turnover on the winner.

Will we see Gaudette on Saturday? If not, I’d rather have him in Utica.

Love that we’re the bigger, heavier, team for a change.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

People seriously need to stop coming down on Hughes for McDavids goal. Connor does that every night, splitting D-men, does it to the best of them all the time

The bottom 6, not surprised Mr. Green that it’s still work in progress? When will you learn there’s no such thing as a bottom 6 anymore, pull your ass out of the dark ages. The bottom 6 is still a problem for this team and Travis Green, for the love of mankind put your best pre-season forward - Gaudette back in the game and try to understand - it’s a top 9 now

I was going into this season with hopes for Sutter catching fire but man was still his lifeless self. Leivo is barely an NHL’er.

Virtanen, was still Virtanen. Like Sutter was again reminded that Jake has no plan when he steps on the ice, when the puck lands miraculously on his stick he’s as shocked as us it did and as befuddled as us one what he will do with it

To be honest Eriksson and Beagle were our best bottom 6

Myers and Hughes and Edler were great, I HD did a lot of confidence in this defence, the new guys were as expected
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Roussel will be welcoming site in the “bottom 6” when he reutrns but Green and Benning better sort it out soon cause it’s the weak link on the team. I guess Motte’s energy game for when he returns will help but yeah I see a time when Gaudette, Roussel and Motte are regulars back there. I don’t think Virtanen will be a Canuck for long. What worries me is that he will be traded for another meh slug like Leivo and Schaller cause Benning love those types
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Been a week since any preseason action and even then it was 1/2 lineup for the games. That showed.

Move Jake to lievout's spot with Sutter and Rousel, platoon Gadette and Jake.

Third line was ultra weenie last night.

Lil' trojan is still a burden on whatever horse he's saddled with. Poor Benn.

That is the second time I've seen Hughes with a lazy backhanded whiff while turning away from the play at an opponent coming down the middle.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper hates short men - Stecher and Hughes. It’s no wonder he was gearing 5’-9” Blobbee McKenzie all the time
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:55 am Topper hates short men - Stecher and Hughes. It’s no wonder he was gearing 5’-9” Blobbee McKenzie all the time
Hughes is an amazing talent. He creates space out of nothing and anticipates the play like few d-men ive seen in vancouver. Once he realizes he wont be winning many board battles with the draisaitl types he'll be even more dynamic. Those fuckin wheels though!
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

1st game of the season and it showed. With the issues that occurred during the preseason this was the 1st time they iced the full team so it will take a week or so to work it all out. I still cannot figure out how players like Bear and Goldobin are not on the team to ice a better 3rd line.

Yes I understand those 2 may have some defensive liability but then I did not see much difference from the current 3rd and 4th line. If i heard correctly the 4th line did not even get a shot on net, wow that is pathetic. When LE is your best bottom 6, you know the team is in trouble. There is currently no one on the bottom 6 that could slide up to the top 6 for 5 games and that is a concern.

But again this is the 1st game and we should not worry yet.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

UWSaint wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:12 pm * Not worried about Pettersson either. A ton of chances, but he forgot to measure his sights before the game. Good to see him take shots.
It's not at all uncommon for young players to go through a period of transition as they put on muscle and get stronger. Petey has more mustard on his shot and the increased power will change the flex in his stick and chances are he will get more lift under the puck, and depending on his curve it might pull one side more. I only caught the last half of the game, but from the shots I saw him unload most of the misses were going high and/or to the right.

Noticed a bit of the same with Brock last season.