The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mods has tuna lurked in here? I'm betting not...

Its hard to see the keys with a paper bag on your head
If you need air...call it in
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Haven’t seen him Danny boy

Last visit was Sunday the 21st at 11:44am
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

God the Leaves Meltdown is priceless!

Three days ago its No one's talking about firing Babcock now, with leaves’ first-round master class in session, today they're actually bothering to do their research on his lousy performance for the past decade/since Lidstrom retired! :lol: :lol:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:27 pm
Cornuck wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:40 pm Image
is that a black armband?
Blood pressure monitor.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Leaves fans are blaming Bieber, Drake, Babcock, Gardiner... in that order.

A few are saying Leaves would have won if Chara received 5+game for a phantom sucker punch on PJ Boy.

PJ Boy admitted post-game he dove on the play in an attempt to draw a penalty.

(he pretended to be out cold at the end of the second period)

____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

rats19 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:36 am Haven’t seen him Danny boy

Last visit was Sunday the 21st at 11:44am
:lol:

Leaves fans. What can you say...

Speaking of paper bags...where old paddy and his vudeo montages?
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Tuna, man up and come back here or be forever labeled a chicken shit.

I say be nice to everyone except Laugh fans, that hole (for SL) city can burn in hell.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:05 pm I say be nice to everyone except Laugh fans, that hole (for SL) city can burn in hell.
But Pigtown is a "hole". :eh:
____
Try to focus on someday.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

I’m looking forward to watching the likes of Tampa and Nashville and Vegas and especially the leaves work thru their cap issues and large ticket, non performing players....

Read that none of the remaining teams still in the playoffs have a $10 million contract, the leaves might have 3....

This is great for Benning and company who can go to go to school and take notes on how these various teams attack their issues....

Take care...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Not sure I want to see the Canucks copycatting the flavour of the day. Teams are built through the draft and having high end players that make big money and show up in the playoffs has been a recipe for success over the years. You also need copious amounts of depths and good kids on entry level contracts
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

rikster wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:21 am
Read that none of the remaining teams still in the playoffs have a $10 million contract, the Leaves might have 3....
Huh. That's an interesting stat.

Though there are still very few $10+ million players so that somewhat explains it, but Benn at $9mil is the only top-20 contract remaining.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:59 am Not sure I want to see the Canucks copycatting the flavour of the day. Teams are built through the draft and having high end players that make big money and show up in the playoffs has been a recipe for success over the years. You also need copious amounts of depths and good kids on entry level contracts

Much more complicated...

These teams have cap issues and will have to make some tough decisions...

Some have poor or underperforming contracts....for as much as we beat up Erikssons contract, is it as bad as Turris’s?

Is Johanson good value at $8 million ?

Some have issues with how their teams were built and they all have players who are at the peak of their careers and are about to start the downside...

There are a multitude of varying issues with these and other teams who are still very good teams, how each gets it right and where some got it wrong will help Benning and company navigate going forward...

I’ve thought for awhile that the Canucks should stay away from the UFA market and instead weaponize their cap space, with what’s happened in the first round I suspect we will hear more and more of the pundits getting on board with this approach ...

Wouldn’t it be ironic if Vegas is forced to give away valuable assets in order to move an expensive contract given the way they weaponizef the expansion draft to deal with their cap issues?

Almost $2 million over next years cap with 17 contracts signed for next year...

Take care...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

rikster wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:31 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:59 am Not sure I want to see the Canucks copycatting the flavour of the day. Teams are built through the draft and having high end players that make big money and show up in the playoffs has been a recipe for success over the years. You also need copious amounts of depths and good kids on entry level contracts

Much more complicated...

These teams have cap issues and will have to make some tough decisions...

Some have poor or underperforming contracts....for as much as we beat up Erikssons contract, is it as bad as Turris’s?

Is Johanson good value at $8 million ?

Some have issues with how their teams were built and they all have players who are at the peak of their careers and are about to start the downside...

There are a multitude of varying issues with these and other teams who are still very good teams, how each gets it right and where some got it wrong will help Benning and company navigate going forward...

I’ve thought for awhile that the Canucks should stay away from the UFA market and instead weaponize their cap space, with what’s happened in the first round I suspect we will hear more and more of the pundits getting on board with this approach ...

Wouldn’t it be ironic if Vegas is forced to give away valuable assets in order to move an expensive contract given the way they weaponizef the expansion draft to deal with their cap issues?

Almost $2 million over next years cap with 17 contracts signed for next year...

Take care...
I just checked capfriendly, they are at $82.3M on the cap for next year, and that includes David Clarkson and Erik Haula on LTIR as well as the retained salary from Tatar. You are correct about only 17 contracts though.

They will have to move some parts out, no question, but they aren't in a bind because almost all of their players are easy trades. Outside of Stone, Stastny and Pacioretty, they don't have anything over $6M.....oh and MAF, but he's not going anywhere.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

rikster wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:21 am I’m looking forward to watching the likes of Tampa and Nashville and Vegas and especially the Leaves work thru their cap issues and large ticket, non performing players....

Read that none of the remaining teams still in the playoffs have a $10 million contract, the Leaves might have 3....

This is great for Benning and company who can go to go to school and take notes on how these various teams attack their issues....

Take care...
Considering there are only 8 $10M cap-hits in the league at the moment, and one has an asterisk (Nylander), this doesn't surprise me.

A quick scan of recent cup winners will show that teams generally win with star players, who tend to get paid eventually.

Even if you do decide that depth is preferable to highly paid talent, it's tough to sell "we had to trade our best player because he got too expensive" to the fan-base.