2010 Canucks vs 2019 Canucks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

2010 Canucks vs 2019 Canucks

Post by 2Fingers »

So if we look at the 2010/2011 Canucks vs today this is what I see:

2010 top 6
D Sedin
H Sedin
Kesler
Burrows
???

2019 top 6
EP
Horvat
Boeser
JT Miller
Ferland
???

2010 Middle Group
Samuelsson
Raymond
Malholtra
Raffi Torres
Jannik Hansen

2019 middle group
Tanner Pearson
Sutter
???

2010 4th line
Tanner Glass
Jeff Tambellini
Chris Higgins (injured)

2019 4th line
Leivo
Virtanen
Schaller
Beagle
Motte

2010 top D
Ehrhoff
Edler
Hamhuis
Bieksa

2019 top D
Edler
Myers
Huges
Tanev

2010 bottom D
Salo – (injured)
Rome
Ballard
Andrew Alberts

2019 bottom D
Benn
Stecher

2010 Goaltending
Luongo
Schnieder

When you do a comparison I would say the top 5 – 6 are similar in skill set for the time they played in. in 2019 it seems speed is a higher value than size (but then look at the Blues last year)

Top D are also comparable – assuming Hughes/Myers are as good as we think and Edler/Tanev can stay relatively healthy.

The big difference you start to see is in the middle group where in 2010 the team had players like Malholtra/Hansen/Raymond, the 2019 Canucks have Pearson/Sutter. The bottom still seems better in 2010 and it shows the depth the Canucks had at that time or they picked up at the TDD to go as far as they did.

In goaltending the combination of Luongo/CS is a lot stronger that Markstrom/Demko. Goaltending will be somewhat equal if Markstrom plays like he did last year.

The first unit PP comparable seems to be heavily favored for 2010 when the Sedins could cycle the puck for the entire 2 mins and they had the #1 PP %. They also had the 3rd best PK.

If you review the stats the Canucks in 2010/11 had everything clicking at the right time but I feel that the current version may have a better or should I say a more balanced top 5. Each of the players today are good on their own while the Sedin’s seems to make everyone better. D overall is a wash again assuming that Hughes develops and Myers plays as well as we expect.

This bodes well for the team to get some playoff exp this year and then with Pod who seems to be on the elite level and truly adding to the top 6 it makes the team closer in overall skill to the 2010 team. Other notables include Hoglander/Woo and maybe Lind to come in at the right time.

I am leaving OJ out of this discussion but if he makes it then that is icing on the cake. In 2 – 3 seasons when they get rid of all the dead weight this team is really in a great position to be a top contender.

It really is an exciting time to be a Canucks fan or the alternative is that Reef tried some new brownies over the weekend and still not fully recovered.

Edited for the right backup goalie 8-)
Last edited by 2Fingers on Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: 2010 Canucks vs 2019 Canucks

Post by Jovocop »

Reefer2 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:57 pm
In goaltending the combination of Luongo/CS is a lot stronger that Markstrom/Demko. Goaltending will be somewhat equal if Markstrom plays like he did last year.
Pettersson/Boeser combo should be better than Henrik/Daniel combo. Both P and B are faster than the Sedins. They can make plays and more importantly they are better shooters than the Sedins.

Gaudette will be a key factor for the third line. If he keeps improving, the Canucks might finally have one of the strongest top 3 centers in the entire Canucks history.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Jovocop wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:32 pm
Pettersson/Boeser combo should be better than Henrik/Daniel combo. Both P and B are faster than the Sedins. They can make plays and more importantly they are better shooters than the Sedins.

Gaudette will be a key factor for the third line. If he keeps improving, the Canucks might finally have one of the strongest top 3 centers in the entire Canucks history.
Daniel Sedin scores more points than any other player in the nhl that year. Hank was 4th. They were arguably both top 5 players in the whole world.

I really like Pettersson — very special player — and if Boeser puts it together, he will be a right handed Naslund. But saying Pettersson and Boeser should better this year than the Sedins at their prime is beyond optimism.
Hono_rary Canadian
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:06 pm saying Pettersson and Boeser should better this year than the Sedins at their prime is beyond optimism.
Ya they were exceptional players for about 4 or 5 years there...
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Not to mention those d corps aren’t even close. That team had five legit top 4 d men. This team has maybe three. That team had a top 9. This team has chosen to go with a top 6 and what looks like two 4th lines.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:06 pm

Daniel Sedin scores more points than any other player in the nhl that year. Hank was 4th. They were arguably both top 5 players in the whole world.

I really like Pettersson — very special player — and if Boeser puts it together, he will be a right handed Naslund. But saying Pettersson and Boeser should better this year than the Sedins at their prime is beyond optimism.
I did not say they are better players right now or this season. I said that they should be better players, eventually.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Jovocop wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:48 pm
UWSaint wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:06 pm

I did not say they are better players right now or this season. I said that they should be better players, eventually.
Considering how dominant EP was as a 19 year old thats a fair assumption.
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:11 pm Not to mention those d corps aren’t even close. That team had five legit top 4 d men. This team has maybe three. That team had a top 9. This team has chosen to go with a top 6 and what looks like two 4th lines.
True to some extent, BUT the Canucks are in a good position. Someone like Hamhuis was a UFA so we can get similar once we jettison some baggage. I do agree the current bottom 6 sucks, that is a product of Green and his love for those type of players plus the fact no one is better.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

One nasty, shit Kesler short of a load.
"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:11 pm Not to mention those d corps aren’t even close. That team had five legit top 4 d men. This team has maybe three. That team had a top 9. This team has chosen to go with a top 6 and what looks like two 4th lines.
I count 4 top 4d right now. Edler tanev Hughes and Myers. You don’t think Hughes is a top 4 guy?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:16 am
I count 4 top 4d right now. Edler tanev Hughes and Myers. You don’t think Hughes is a top 4 guy?
Hughes is definitely not a top-4 guy. He might be in a couple weeks though.

We have 3 top-4's and a potential top-4. It's not a bad thing, but if thinking Boeser and Pettersson are going to be a better combo than the Sedins in their prime is beyond optimism, then calling Hughes a top-4 after 5 games and 3 points is even more of a stretch.

His amateur body of work certainly shows great promise that he will be one though.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I look forward to the return of Roussel. The bottom-6 looks quite a bit better with him in it, and he provides some of that Kesler a-hole factor.