Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by ESQ »

I think it's not unreasonable to say Dahlen should have taken the Forsberg path and not come over until his draft +4 year.

But that would be predicated on him graduating to the SHL.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

I don't recall whether P. Forsberg stayed in the SHL that long out of choice or because of limited opportunity. Quebec had Sakic, Sundin, and Ricci down the middle. I also don't know that it was best for Forsberg to stay in the SHL rather than come over sooner -- it worked out, but that doesn't mean it was the only way it worked out. He, unlike a guy like Zetterberg, was always considered an excellent prospect and might have forced Quebec's hand by excellent play had he come a season or two sooner.

Dahlen's never been a prospect like Forsberg. In retrospect, I think you are right that Dahlen would have been better off in the SHL last season with Timra. Only because the path he is now on is about as bad as it could be for getting to the NHL as a regular someday.
Hono_rary Canadian
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:32 am I don't recall whether P. Forsberg stayed in the SHL that long out of choice or because of limited opportunity. Quebec had Sakic, Sundin, and Ricci down the middle. I also don't know that it was best for Forsberg to stay in the SHL rather than come over sooner -- it worked out, but that doesn't mean it was the only way it worked out. He, unlike a guy like Zetterberg, was always considered an excellent prospect and might have forced Quebec's hand by excellent play had he come a season or two sooner.

Dahlen's never been a prospect like Forsberg. In retrospect, I think you are right that Dahlen would have been better off in the SHL last season with Timra. Only because the path he is now on is about as bad as it could be for getting to the NHL as a regular someday.
I believe Per had said that Foppa, like Dahlen and Petterson, was physically immature for the NHL. Whether he had the same mental immaturity as Dahlen, we'll probably never know.

Looking at his stats from Modo in the SHL, he seemed to plateau (even though he absolutely destroyed at the World Juniors). Then the lockout delayed his arrival by another half-season - by which time Sundin was also traded, opening a center spot.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Didnt he wait because he wanted to play in the olympics?
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Refresher from the time of the Dahlen trade;
https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-b ... 1.23645383
If Dahlen’s primary issue was a lack of NHL opportunity, it’s unclear if his situation has improved in San Jose. At least in the current season, Dahlen is unlikely to get a sniff at NHL action. The Sharks do have five forwards that will be UFA by the end of the season, so maybe a spot will open up that he can earn next season.
Of note; On several occasions his acceleration has been questioned.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You nailed it, Mickey Spillane.

Dahlen is a horrific skater and not strong enough to make up for it by fighting through checks and protecting the puck.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:01 am Didnt he wait because he wanted to play in the olympics?
Is that right? I looked back at the 94 Olympics , Foppa didn't crack the top-10 for points but young Euros Zigmund Palffy (21) and Miro Satan (20) did.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

ESQ wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:15 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:01 am Didnt he wait because he wanted to play in the olympics?
Is that right? I looked back at the 94 Olympics , Foppa didn't crack the top-10 for points but young Euros Zigmund Palffy (21) and Miro Satan (20) did.
Im fairly sure...like 64-65% sure.

They didnt have nhl players then only amateurs
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:26 pm
ESQ wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:15 pm
Im fairly sure...like 64-65% sure.

They didnt have nhl players then only amateurs
I think it may have been a factor. As you say, the NHL didn't allow its players to participate back then, and the Olympics have always been a big deal here in Europe, so postponing his NHL debut a year or two to be able to compete in Lillehammer makes sense. Also, he really wanted to win a championship with Modo, and after they lost the final in 1994 he was furious, stating that he wanted to beat up the referee.... :lol:

He never did get that elusive Swedish gold. He won the world championship twice, the Olympc tournament twice and the Stanley Cup twice, but he never won the Swedish championship. Or, well, he did win TV-pucken, a national tournament for 15-year olds, with Nazzy, but.....
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Carson Focht with two goals tonight - the game-tying and OT winner.

He’s up to 4 points (3+1) in 2 WHL games this season.

Another solid prospect marinating in juniors, and he plays a in your face style.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:44 pm Carson Focht with two goals tonight - the game-tying and OT winner.

Another solid prospect marinating in juniors, and he plays a in your face style.
What the FOCHT!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:44 pm Carson Focht with two goals tonight - the game-tying and OT winner.

Is he really marinating?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:08 am

Is he really marinating?
Like a good Marinara sauce. Marinara is not a slow cook sauce like a slow cooker pork back rib tomato sauce. Focht is like a good marinara sauce, no need of marinating. He’s already marinated. Topper makes a good marinara sauce, he grows his own tomatoes, gathers his own herb (basil, oregano) from his own herb garden.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

No garden this year, and no one in the house likes marinara sauce. I do make a very basic tomato sauce in large batches, portion and freeze.
Last edited by Topper on Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:06 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:08 am

Is he really marinating?
Like a good Marinara sauce. Marinara is not a slow cook sauce like a slow cooker pork back rib tomato sauce. Focht is like a good marinara sauce, no need of marinating. He’s already marinated. Topper makes a good marinara sauce, he grows his own tomatoes, gathers his own herb (basil, oregano) from his own herb garden.
I smoke my own herb in a beer garden
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”