Training Camp - 2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Training Camp - 2019

Post by Cornuck »

Hank wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:48 pm But to be fair, JV is as dumb as Hayden Christensen's portrayal of Darth Vader.
OUCH! :shock:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

He’s too much work for a coach, you can tell that by the way Green talks about Virtanen, after awhile the coach is gonna throw in the towel and say “Jake! I can’t help you forever, if you don’t figure it out soon you never will. I ain’t your Mom.” Something like that. He’s like the new Jim Sandlak.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hank wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:48 pm Jake responded by throwing a fit and trying to kill some of his teammates at camp.

Don't write the man-child off yet. Let's see if Green/Darth Sidious can harness Anakin's anger and unleash a caged gorilla at opponents.

But to be fair, JV is as dumb as Hayden Christensen's portrayal of Darth Vader.
Would love to see JV go all Darth Vader and use the dark side.

To move LE the Canucks would have to add more than Julio, I say through a second and move his ass now. Then sign BB for the right deal and quit fucking around.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:51 pm To move LE the Canucks would have to add more than Julio, I say through a second and move his ass now. Then sign BB for the right deal and quit fucking around.
Canucks have enough cap to sign Boeser right now.

Trade Eriksson and the Boeser camp suddenly demands more $$.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:07 pm He’s too much work for a coach, you can tell that by the way Green talks about Virtanen, after awhile the coach is gonna throw in the towel and say “Jake! I can’t help you forever, if you don’t figure it out soon you never will. I ain’t your Mom.” Something like that. He’s like the new Jim Sandlak.
This ^^^ Is true. I'm not giving up on big Jake but for Christmas sakes. we have other. "newer" babes on the team that are more in need of the
coach's coddling, so' buck-up big boy and play some rockem sockem hockey.
Last edited by Mickey107 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Coach Green on last day of camp + scrimmage highlights;

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/camp- ... c-68860603
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Pettersson shoot-out move;
now and last year; just scroll down...https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1173 ... 4%3Fs%3D19
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:11 am The Pettersson shoot-out move;
now and last year; just scroll down...https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1173 ... 4%3Fs%3D19
It's a legacy.

It started with Kent Nilsson scoring this goal on the USA at the 1989 world championship:

A young Peter Forsberg watched this on TV and started practicing on how to do that.
Then at 20 years of age at the Olympic final in Lillehammer 1994, he decided to use it in the shootout.

And now it's Petey's go-to-move for penalty shots.....

... albeit he has added a bit to it to make it even more beautiful...

... and sometimes he does it in reverse...

Amazing to watch this kid! It's so ****** beautiful! :drink:

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

:towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:07 pm He’s too much work for a coach, you can tell that by the way Green talks about Virtanen, after awhile the coach is gonna throw in the towel and say “Jake! I can’t help you forever, if you don’t figure it out soon you never will. I ain’t your Mom.” Something like that. He’s like the new Jim Sandlak.
Whoa, easy there, Dude, with the Sandlak reference. Sandlak's problem was that he didn't have the feet or the mitts to play a skill game, and he didn't have the attitude to play the power game. I forget who it was that said that Sandlak wasn't brave. He just played at being brave.

Virtanen has the wheels to play today's game. He has the shot to score. He has the build (even when he's at proper playing weight) that when he gets in the mood, he can play the power game. It's between the ears that is the difference between him being top 6 or 3rd line. If Green didn't believe that Virtanen was smart enough to work with as a coach, he would have thrown in the towel already.

If Virtanen turns out to be a physical 3rd liner who can chip in some goals and play when the going gets rough in the playoffs I would take it and run if I was a GM. Yeah, kind of a let-down for a high 1st-round pick but certainly not something to chuck to the curb just because he didn't become the second coming of Cam Neely.

Christmas is a decent deadline for judging his season, but I would say the Trade Deadline is the more useful deadline to see what the team truly has in the kid.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:29 pm
SKYO wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:52 pm
This will be my third and final year of hoping Virtanen breaks out lol, after that I'm go full trade Virtanen for whatever you can get mode, hopefully he'll become a top 6 winger, but my hopes are fading fast.
I'll give him until Christmas... He got a big virtual slap upside the head this week, and now we get to see how he responds. Initial reports say he's pissed off and working to redeem himself. Let's see how the effort looks once he's comfortable in his slot (assuming it's in Van).

Goldy's in the same boat - show me what ya got, kid!
Facts, but I guess he let it slip to reporters yesterday he dealt with a collarbone injury all season, so I'll give him that.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Facts is, Jake isn’t driven, doesn’t want it bad enough. We will get glimpses of good hockey from him a few times throughout the season, but he’s just not a competitive guy in the way of setting personal goals.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:36 am Facts is, Jake isn’t driven, doesn’t want it bad enough. We will get glimpses of good hockey from him a few times throughout the season, but he’s just not a competitive guy in the way of setting personal goals.
Sounds corny, but I ask myself...what would the mastermind Scotty Bowman do with Virtanen? if he were coach and GM.

I'd say Scotty would kick JV in the nuts and say I'm going to let you play with Petey and Horvat, so don't fuck it up.

Get JV 30 goals and trade his ass as soon as GM's start a callin' and start offering decent deals, slip it to Dhaliwal media, create a bidding war, and get a 1st back +
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:10 am
Cornuck wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:29 pm
SKYO wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:52 pm
This will be my third and final year of hoping Virtanen breaks out lol, after that I'm go full trade Virtanen for whatever you can get mode, hopefully he'll become a top 6 winger, but my hopes are fading fast.
I'll give him until Christmas... He got a big virtual slap upside the head this week, and now we get to see how he responds. Initial reports say he's pissed off and working to redeem himself. Let's see how the effort looks once he's comfortable in his slot (assuming it's in Van).

Goldy's in the same boat - show me what ya got, kid!
Facts, but I guess he let it slip to reporters yesterday he dealt with a collarbone injury all season, so I'll give him that.
I never did hear exactly what test or goal JV failed. Something to do with fitness, so I assume it is endurance based, or missing his target weight. Regardless, I also believe he needs the benefit of the doubt. More importantly, we have 17 NHL caliber forwards going into training camp. JV has to finish in the top 12 just to make the team, just like the rest of our 3rd/4th liners. And then, he has to maintain it. I find it kinda comforting knowing that we could ice a team this year where last season's JV isn't good enough to make the team.

I still believe in JV. Every player has warts in their game. We are just harder on JV cuz we believe in his upside, and he was drafted as a top 10 pick.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Tciso wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:50 am or missing his target weight. .
That would be my guess. ;)
"evolution"