Training Camp - 2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Training Camp - 2019

Post by ESQ »

micky107 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:33 pm ..................................................................................................................................................... . LiL Trojan
........................................................................................................................................................Rookie
........................................................................................................................................................Posts 1

Hi Topper !........................................................................................kidding

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1172 ... de%3Dfalse
I'm not a Stecher fan, but I think he was embarrassed at how bad his shot was on the PP at the end of the season, and he looks like he's spent a lot of time on it over the summer, so good on him.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

micky107 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:57 am
Carol Schram

That's a wrap on scrimmage No. 1 from #Canucks training camp.
Final score, 5-0 for Team White, with goals from Pettersson, Sutter (2), Justin Bailey and Tyler Graovac.
Up next, Group A is scheduled to skate at 11:10.
10:53 AM - Sep 14, 20
BS mm?
Karl?
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:14 pm
Lancer wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:43 pm
micky107 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:13 pm
Joey Kenward
#Canucks Coach Travis Green says Olli Juolevi will skate with 3rd group today and is hopeful he can rejoin main group tomorrow.

Adds he’s happy with what he saw out of Jake Virtanen this morning, saying: “Sometimes tough lessons are the ones that sink in the most.”
12:17 PM · Sep 14, 2019
Virtanen will get it one day. Hopefully it will be while he's a Canuck. Hopefully it will be soon.

I don't know why people keep wanting to dump him at the next train stop. Is he dumber than a sack of hammers? Probably. Does he need to grow up and take his profession more seriously? Certainly. You can't cure dumb, but you can coach around it and having Green and some good mentors in the likes of Miller, Ferland, Roussel and company can only help the process of maturation.8

Gotta hand it to Green for his patience and persistence with the kid, though.

Agree with your sentiments. Would add Goldy along with Jake though.
Goldy came to camp in excellent shape, that’s sign of maturity, respect to your profession, understanding your profession. The fact that this is still a tough concept for Jake to grasp 5 years after getting drafted is beyond making excuses for him, that’s over for him.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:43 pm Virtanen will get it one day. Hopefully it will be while he's a Canuck. Hopefully it will be soon.

Gotta hand it to Green for his patience and persistence with the kid, though.
Persistence is an understatement ha.

See it all started in 2016/17 with Travis Green and Virtanen in Utica.
As Utica head coach Travis Green told Ben Kuzma of The Province, Virtanen is progressing well. It hasn’t been showing in his point totals, but that shouldn’t be the focus anyway.

Last season, as well as this summer, Virtanen’s biggest issue seemed to be his attitude and level of commitment.
Wanting to play in the NHL is one thing, but wanting to put in the work to be there is a whole different story.

Virtanen seems to have understood that, and he is making progress accordingly.
https://thecanuckway.com/2017/03/28/can ... on-comets/
March 2017

Utica Comets head coach Travis Green has put the onus on Jake Virtanen to be a more fit, complete, two-way player.

Green: “It hasn’t been all roses for Jake down in the AHL. We’ve been very honest with him. Are we hard on him? Sometimes. But with that, there’s good dialogue. He understands that and is confident his game is going in the right direction, even though it’s hard sometimes.

“It can help a player to play outside his comfort zone.”

Details in Virtanen’s game — reading plays, moving his feet, using his size and and not being a defensive liability — have improved under demanding Comets coach Travis Green.

It hasn’t been easy. Telling an impatient first-rounder that it’s about the process and not points — Virtanen had just seven goals in his first 57 Comet games — is a tough sell. But it’s working slowly, steadily.

“Jake is still a young guy (20) and people forget that,” said Green. “He went through a stretch where I know he was getting frustrated because he wasn’t getting the points. And that was a good time to break it down to him that the goals and assists will be a by-product of doing things to be a difference in a game.
Benning 2017 Feb:
“This is a wake-up call. He’s learning how to be a pro and that’s in the weight room, his nutrition and his workouts. With him it’s about his habits, his day-to-day habits. He’s taking ownership of that.”

The problem, according to Benning, is Virtanen thought he had to be bigger to play the power game and showed up at camp weighing 228 pounds, setting off alarm bells throughout the organization. The extra weight hurt Virtanen’s speed. It also impaired his conditioning and it soon became apparent there was a problem.
2017 camp, Virtanen came in guns blazing and earned himself a spot.
Virtanen came to training camp this year ready to play. And he had himself a hell of a camp to the point where people even pondered if he deserved an NHL spot over Prince Charming himself, Brock Boeser.

Virtanen worked his way into getting a spot on the opening roster, primed to show the NHL what he can do. It seemed like his year with Travis Green had paid off as Jake looked better on the ice than he had in any of his previous camps.
2018 camp:
“The thing with Jake is he’s effective on any line,” said Vancouver Canucks coach Travis Green. “He helped the checking line at times last year and can bring energy to the fourth line.

“Has he shown that he’s a top-six guy yet? Probably not. And that would be the next step, the next evolution in his game. He doesn’t have to be anything more than his best. And I don’t think we’ve seen it yet and I’m anxious for us to get to that point.”

Last season, Virtanen led the club in take-aways with 51, but his 32 giveaways were only exceeded upfront by Daniel Sedin with 37. He also led forwards in hits (156) and was fifth in shots (130). But his 7.7 shooting percentage was third-lowest behind Henrik Sedin (4.5) and Sam Gagner (6.1).

Virtanen also played on the fourth line and second line, and eventually got power-play time. He was even paired with Brandon Sutter in a shutdown role against top lines.

“I have to be able to play that 200-foot game, score and be a guy where teams hate me at the end of the night,” said Virtanen. “I’m smarter in the game. I used to run around a lot and I’m definitely a lot more patient with the puck. I make plays and feel like I hold on to the puck and protect it more.

“That was something that was really big for me. With my body and size, I can protect pucks and use my speed a lot. It’s getting on the forecheck, it’s getting chances and I’m getting the second chances.”

Virtanen has always had the ability the hit like a truck.

“With the way I skate with long powerful strides — even though they’re not super-quick — it throws the D-man off because he thinks I’m going slower than I actually am. It’s a little tricky to stop.”

“I definitely want to be that guy, but I’ve got to earn it,” he stressed. “I have to show that I can score, but Travis also wants us to play better defensively to have less goals-against.”

“There are a lot of young guys who struggle with consistency,” said Green. “It’s learning the league and learning what they have to do to have individual success.”
This year he probably came in like 5-10lbs overweight, Coach Green fired him up, now JV is playing like a mad man lol.

Travis Green is the epitome of patience and a steady influence on the young fella, preaching a fit, two-way game, going over video with him, if Jake Virtanen ever breaks out and become a top 6 player he owes a lot to Green.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

I'd still like to see both players have at least a substantial portion of this year to iron out their wrinkles. Some players just take longer to learn lessons/improve. Maybe they never learn but I'm not ready to give up on either.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Pettersson / Interview / second day of camp... https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/pettersson ... ff~1779541
Pettersson feels like his summer training is already paying off
Elias Pettersson explains how he learned to take care of his body over the summer and can already notice a difference after the Canucks vigorous skate on Friday and another intense scrimmage on Saturday.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Vancouver Canucks

"I've never seen a guy so shifty in my life." Jordie Benn discusses Petey, the #Canucks scrimmage and building chemistry with his teammates.
Discusses his experience at Canuck Camp;

"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:22 pm
Vancouver Canucks

"I've never seen a guy so shifty in my life." Jordie Benn discusses Petey, the #Canucks scrimmage and building chemistry with his teammates.

Jordie Benn was an excellent value signing.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

ESQ wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:38 pm
micky107 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:33 pm ..................................................................................................................................................... . LiL Trojan
........................................................................................................................................................Rookie
........................................................................................................................................................Posts 1

Hi Topper !........................................................................................kidding

I'm not a Stecher fan, but I think he was embarrassed at how bad his shot was on the PP at the end of the season, and he looks like he's spent a lot of time on it over the summer, so good on him.
His shot was definitely his major weakness,let's see how he looks in real games in Oct.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Was at camp today in Victoria.
-Hughes and Virtanen went head to head in a corner board battle and Hughes was so elusive that when they blew the whistle Jake was laying in front of the crease holding Bachmans stick.
-Pettersson stood out as expected beauty goal to start scrimmage.
-Mcewan and Bailey both had a good day as hulking wingers with better than expected skating.
-Chatfield threw it up the middle in the scrimmage and JT picked it off, Chatfield fought the puck all day
-Boucher and Focht both have strong shots but Focht can't hit the net.
-Jake ran over all the goalies
-Myers is huge
-Yes it looks like Stecher worked on his shot

Lastly Petey is the real deal he picked up all the pucks before Zamboni came on 2 or 3 separate times which is unusual for a star player and he stayed to sign autographs by the tunnel for over an hour
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Benjo wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:47 pm Was at camp today in Victoria....
Thanks buddy...i was hoping to hear from boots on the ground.
If you need air...call it in
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Thanks for the report, Benjo.

Nice to hear that about Petey - solid character moves in addition to the epic ones on the ice.

If you attend tomorrow as well, look forward to seeing another update.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:30 pm
Vancouver Canucks

Good ole BC kid dat Benn there!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:21 pm
If you attend tomorrow as well, look forward to seeing another update.
I'm not tomorrow but I got tickets to the preseason game on Monday
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:32 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:30 pm
Vancouver Canucks

Good ole BC kid dat Benn there!
Is he a better signing at 2.1 million than Sluggo Sbiza at 3.6 or Erik Gudbranson at 4? It’s like they’ve finally figure out what a bottom pairing D should be paid.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”