Let's get creative with Erikkson...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Let's get creative with Erikkson...

Post by Tciso »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:41 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:30 am MCP if he calls you Vaughn...time to bolt outta this one
He’s not Vaughan. He’s Terrance
"F.U.V.V. "
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:45 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:37 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:03 pm What’s tough for you to understand Sunshine?

Paying three 4th line guys a total of 13.35 million annually on your cap hit is stupid.

Hargraves has a knife and fork. Would you like him to cut up your food for you too?
I hope they are plastic utensils so you don't hurt yourself while someone explains (for the umpteenth time) that if your only paying your top line 11 million (unlike most teams 20 million) you can't use that other 9 million where ever you need to fill the holes in your lineup. (In our case, its bottom 6 skill vs depth. we had no prospects coming through the system for 10 years so we needed to pay people to fill roles that other teams filled through drafting). In about 2 more years, we won't have to spend all that money down there anymore.

Why is it such a hard concept to understand??
That will change pretty quickly Dilbert. Furthermore if you want to see the team improve in the next year or two in a cap world, having boat anchors manning the 4th line and siphoning 13 + million to do it, isn’t good business.

I’m sure Hargraves could cut up your Swanson meal with plastic utensils
Yeah I believe off the top, no Stanley Cup champion team has had a $5M, $6M + type of player on their 4th lines, so unless Eriksson magically finds his scoring ways quickly on the top 3 lines, he'll be sent to Utica. Can't be paid that much just to be a good penalty killer.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:11 pm
Yeah I believe off the top, no Stanley Cup champion team has had a $5M, $6M + type of player on their 4th lines, so unless Eriksson magically finds his scoring ways quickly on the top 3 lines, he'll be sent to Utica. Can't be paid that much just to be a good penalty killer.
I agree, Skyo; Especially when we have a couple or three players we want to learn that penalty killing role.
Not a big fan but Sutter can do that and if it need to be a winger, both Miller and Ferland know how to address the PK.
Beware the Louis man to have a good camp then do his thing and die in the regular season.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ferland has killed penalties for a total of 4 minutes over the last two seasons. He won’t be helping the pk.Miller isn’t much of a penalty killer either.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:04 pm Ferland has killed penalties for a total of 4 minutes over the last two seasons. He won’t be helping the pk.Miller isn’t much of a penalty killer either.
You wait; Trav will use them both in that role once in a while. In particular, whichever one is playing regular on Horvat's line.
That makes sense in regards to not f**king up the lines for 3 shifts.
I'm not sure Eriksson has the skating stride for the PK as much as he grows older and slower. I'd say dumber but that would be over the line.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:04 pm Ferland has killed penalties for a total of 4 minutes over the last two seasons. He won’t be helping the pk.Miller isn’t much of a penalty killer either.
So what you're say is it's a good thing we have Sutter and Beagle on the team...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:17 pm
You wait; Trav will use them both in that role once in a while. In particular, whichever one is playing regular on Horvat's line.
That makes sense in regards to not f**king up the lines for 3 shifts.
I'm not sure Eriksson has the skating stride for the PK as much as he grows older and slower. I'd say dumber but that would be over the line.
Horvat didn't kill penalties much last season and will do even less of dat dere as long as Sutter, Beagle, and Motte are healthy..
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:19 pm
So what you're say is it's a good thing we have Sutter and Beagle on the team...
It would be even better if they were paid 1/2 the salary they currently get.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:28 pm
It would be even better if they were paid 1/2 the salary they currently get.
It "would be better" if your Vancouver Canucks won the Stanley Cup every season too. :D

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggrega ... =timeOnIce

Mr Sutter is 80th overall among forwards in total icetime over the last 10 seasons... that kind of player tends to get paid.

(Hargraves calls him a 4th line player!) :lol:

I suppose one could argue he's slightly overpaid but in the overall scheme of things it doesn't much matter.

(Hargraves constantly goes all hyperbole on this subject!) :lol:

Your Vancover Canucks won't be needing his capspace cleared until July 1, 2021 when Pettersson + Hughes get paid.

And like magic that is exactly when Mr Sutter's cap hit comes off the books! :wow:

Mr Beagle is overpaid by a million bucks, but he was/is needed on your Vancover Canucks' 4th line.

Your Vancover Canucks won't be needing his capspace cleared until July 1, 2021 when Pettersson + Hughes get paid.

And like magic that is exactly when Mr Beagle's real money owed for his last season drops to a very tradeable $1.2M! :wow:

Other contracts are coming off the books at that time as well.

Go Benning and leave the driving to us...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I think I'm a beagle fan and thats because from his very first shift for the canucks he went straight into scrums and right to war for his teammates. He demanded the canucks get respect after whistles and at that time we had almost nobody doing that.

I'd say he is still a warrior with a shiny ring to rally the troops. Heart and soul kind of piece
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

On a good team in 2019, Brandon Sutter would be on the 4th line.

Hargraves doesn’t give a shit that he played a lot of minutes over the last ten years. The Canucks have been one of the worst teams in the NHL the last four years. Lots of scrubs have padded their ice time on this club.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

lol nice one.

Travis Green's fave penalty killers up front last season TOI:
His top dog PK Grans is gone.

#1 Markus Granlund 185:00
#2 Beagle 152:36
#3 Motte 126:27
#4 Eriksson 96:22
#5 Sutter 81:23 (injured most of the season)
#6 Schaller 62:41
#7 Roussel 56:44

Out: Granlund, Eriksson? Schaller? Roussel IR.

I'd wager Sutter and Beagle will be our top penalty killers this upcoming season, along with Motte, possibly Horvat will get more PK time.

This is the only reason maybe IF Eriksson stays (to contradict myself lol) as Miller, Ferland, Pearson, Baertschi, Goldy, Boeser (really bad at back checking, but he gets a pass because Boeser [just for shits&gigs seen Marner has 111 TOI on penalty kill, an all-round player]), Petey (sedin treatment, but he's pretty good on the back check - darkhorse penalty killer), Gaudette, Virtanen, Leivo are not penalty killers really.
Maybe Gaudette in time after he gains more experience....man now I can't wait till Roussel gets back, dudes a beast.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:04 pm On a good team in 2019, Brandon Sutter would be on the 4th line.

Hargraves doesn’t give a shit that he played a lot of minutes over the last ten years. The Canucks have been one of the worst teams in the NHL the last four years. Lots of scrubs have padded their ice time on this club.
Three of those 10 Sutter years were played the Pittsburgh Penguins (a top team).

Mr Sutter was third among forwards in total icetime on that team during those 3 years.

____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:19 pm #1 Markus Granlund 185:00

Out: Granlund, Eriksson? Schaller? Roussel IR.

I'd wager Sutter and Beagle will be our top penalty killers this upcoming season, along with Motte, possibly Horvat will get more PK time.
I'll bet it's Sutter, Beagle, Motte, and Pearson... in that order.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:19 pm
Travis Green's fave penalty killers up front last season TOI:
His top dog PK Grans is gone.

#1 Markus Granlund 185:00
Be nice to see a few, "more", shorties this year. I like that in a PK squad.. 8-)
"evolution"