Training Camp - 2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Training Camp - 2019

Post by Per »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:26 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:02 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:53 am Chuck me. I’m away until Oct 20th. Leave Sept 11th so I’ll miss camp, preseason and the start of the season. Going to have to find a way to stream me some games!!
Wow, you really get around!

Where to this time Sugar n' Spice? :D
Morocco in Sept. the Balkans in Oct. lot of world left to see. Want to do 100 countries before I die but I’m only at 49. Gotta go go go if I want to reach my goal!!
Damnit, you,ve got me beaten. I’m stuck at 40.
Never been to Africa (unless you count the Canary Islands) or Oceania. :(
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:32 pm What I wanna see is Miller with Pettersson and Boeser on a high scoring first line and Ferland, Gaudette and Jake on a hack, whack and smack third line.

I know most have Ferland on the second or even the first line but if they want three effective lines scoring, I really like the idea of him with those two young, speedy, aggressive players. That could be a very difficult line for other teams to deal with.

The question is who goes with Bo? Pearson and Baertschi are both natural LWers, but probably the highest skilled of the remaining players. Which one could play RW effectively? And are Baertschi’s concussion issues resolved? If only one of those two is on Bo’s line as a LWer, who plays RW, if they keep Ferland on Gaudette’s line? How would Sutter look there? I am curious about seeing Sutter on Bo’s right side. Or, can Leivo offer enough to stay on Bo’s line? Has he improved his consistency. Can MacEwen steal a job there? So many questions and still a month away.
Interesting; I think Miller with Pettersson and Boeser is the way to go. Miller would get to do what he couldn't in Tampa. In theory; there''s
incredible playmaking ability there.
Personally, I cannot see how Horvat and Ferland isn't a match made in heaven. Probably good enough to try Virtanen there, 'IF" he earns it.
$3,366,666, (hate that number, 666), is what Baertschi makes for two more years. The concussion problem is well documented now and I'm not
sure he is movable without a sweetener. Unless it's low-cal, we cannot afford too many sweeteners. That's why I see Sven in the bottom six for sure.

Maybe a tad off the wall but I'd put Gaudette with Sutter possibly with Pearson. May as well get some value out of what Brandon's learned
in the circle and let he and Adam alternate for face-offs. Pains me to say it but gaudette must have a kick-ass camp, preseason and start to
the season if he wants to stick. It's easy to think he's younger than he really is. Don't want him labelled as "A project".

Even with the acquisitions on defense, (less a Hutton), health of Tanev and Edler will STILL be paramount for a playoff push.
Because of our acquisitions, better health is a better bet than in recent years. Half freakin full, man!

Never too soon to start thinking about a very team friendly extension for Markstrom, mmm? :idea:
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Pearson played really well with Bo to end the season, so he will likely be one of his wingers, and Ferland will likely be the other, but if Green decides to put that hack, whack, smack line together and have Ferland on with Gaudette and Jake, then Bo’s line end’s up playing more against other team’s top lines. They’d have to shut down everyone they play and also contribute secondary scoring. It will be the line that plays in the last minute of the game to protect a lead or get to OT (along with whoever makes up Beagle’s line, Motte and Leivo?). So the second line without Ferland:

Pearson Horvat Sutter? (Especially if they are protecting a lead in a tight game)
or
Baertschi Horvat Pearson? (Especially If they are down a goal and need to generate more offence)

Bo has shown his best chemistry individually with Baertschi and Pearson, but we haven’t seen them yet as a group of three. Baertschi and Pearson are both responsible defensively, but can Pearson play as effectively on the right side, and can Baertschi stay concussion free? Sutter is better than both defensively, and he should bounce back after a summer off. Last season was a disaster for him. He did not look at all good after coming back from injury, but I think he will be back in form by September. However, I think Gaudette has more speed and shiftiness down the middle for the third line. I hope they experiment with Sutter on the right wing. He plays a similar game as Linden did, and I always thought Linden played right wing better than centre.

While Bo will get the hardest shut down match-ups, going head-to-head with the top centres in the league nightly, Pettersson and Gaudette’s lines can go ballz to the wallz and focus on generating offence. I think ballz to the wallz is a better use of Ferland's skills instead of asking him to play a shut down defensive role on the second line.

We will see what happens, but it sure is nice to have options on the left side this season. The biggest team improvement is the Canucks now have so many left wingers that could play in the top six (Miller, Pearson, Ferland, and Baertschi) none of whom were around at all or very much last season. Left wing was a barren wasteland pretty much all of last season. Now it could be a team strength. Benning done good.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

Alright here goes, that lurker email has brought me out of the shadows as I've been lurking forever.

One thing that has me slightly concerned is if Pettersson comes back and plays like he did after the all-star break, not before it.
We've pretty much decided to make a big push for playoffs, largely in part to the discovery of an elite first line centre. But by end of season, he was good, not elite.

Many of what was said from Pettersson himself and team personnel was that later in the season other teams were no longer caught by surprise.
Well, it's not like they will all of a sudden forget what he did last year and he'll be able to have 5 point nights again as easily as before, so I'm interested to see how he comes in this year. What has he learned from last year? What preparation has he made to avoid last seasons ending?

To add to that, while Pettersson had a fantastic start and ended slow, Boeser had his rough patch at the beginning. They only really gelled in the middle bit of the season. Will be great if they both come out of the gate looking good. If Miller has any chemistry with them that will be quite the line.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I think Boeser is going to explode this year, but don’t tell him I said that until he signs his contract.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I wouldn’t be giving Bo the Lions share of hard matchups. What a waste of a player. If I was Green I wouldn’t be matching lineups like a fiend until I had to.

Ferkland Petey Boeser

Pearson Horvat Miller

Baertschi Gaudette Virtanen

Motte Beagle Sutter

Louie or a kid for 13th forward

Edler Tanev

Hughes Myers

Benn Stecher

Biega
Fantenberg

Marky
Demko

Pin the ears back on the top 9 and let them some fun.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:32 pm What I wanna see is Miller with Pettersson and Boeser on a high scoring first line and Ferland, Gaudette and Jake on a hack, whack and smack third line.

I know most have Ferland on the second or even the first line but if they want three effective lines scoring, I really like the idea of him with those two young, speedy, aggressive players. That could be a very difficult line for other teams to deal with.

The question is who goes with Bo? Pearson and Baertschi are both natural LWers, but probably the highest skilled of the remaining players. Which one could play RW effectively? And are Baertschi’s concussion issues resolved? If only one of those two is on Bo’s line as a LWer, who plays RW, if they keep Ferland on Gaudette’s line? How would Sutter look there? I am curious about seeing Sutter on Bo’s right side. Or, can Leivo offer enough to stay on Bo’s line? Has he improved his consistency. Can MacEwen steal a job there? So many questions and still a month away.
I'd rather stick Miller with Bo and Pearson. He's responsible, can take faceoffs if Bo gets waived out, and can play both wings.

Ferland can be the sandpaper with Brock and Petey who bangs in the corners. Frankly I think Ferland is a guy who can put up 20g and 40+ points when playing with guys like Petey and Boeser (see what he did in Calgary with their top players), but he will become a 15g and 25pt guy if he's put with Gaudette and Jake.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Raile wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:02 pm Alright here goes, that lurker email has brought me out of the shadows as I've been lurking forever.

One thing that has me slightly concerned is if Pettersson comes back and plays like he did after the all-star break, not before it.
We've pretty much decided to make a big push for playoffs, largely in part to the discovery of an elite first line centre. But by end of season, he was good, not elite.

Many of what was said from Pettersson himself and team personnel was that later in the season other teams were no longer caught by surprise.
Well, it's not like they will all of a sudden forget what he did last year and he'll be able to have 5 point nights again as easily as before, so I'm interested to see how he comes in this year. What has he learned from last year? What preparation has he made to avoid last seasons ending?

To add to that, while Pettersson had a fantastic start and ended slow, Boeser had his rough patch at the beginning. They only really gelled in the middle bit of the season. Will be great if they both come out of the gate looking good. If Miller has any chemistry with them that will be quite the line.
That's a solid post right there, why not become a regular poster Raile.

We need fresh blood around here!

Now tell me, why did you spend all those years in the UK pal?

Wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on Brexit here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11238
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

While it's true the Petey wasn't surprising anyone by the 30 game mark, I'm not too worried about that. He's a damn smart player and will find ways to adjust. The Sedin cycle was figured out, but somehow they still won the Art Ross and built HHOF careers.

I'm more worried about other players trying to injure the kid than EP having problems.

It was a long season for him, he had a couple of injuries to work through, while adjusting in a rookie season - oh, but he still easily won the Calder.

Pettersson is the least of my worries in this lineup.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Raile wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:02 pm Alright here goes, that lurker email has brought me out of the shadows as I've been lurking forever.
Welcome, lurker! :D
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:27 pm I wouldn’t be giving Bo the Lions share of hard matchups. What a waste of a player. If I was Green I wouldn’t be matching lineups like a fiend until I had to.
To be fair, Beagle (and Sutter when healthy :roll:) was one of the big reasons which allowed Bo to grow as an offensive player last year. Honestly, Bo is a horrid PK'er and a bit overrated defensively (don't @me folks, it's the dead truth). When Beags was out, the PK cratered.

Green needs to give Bo the offensive green light and pass on the dirty work to Beagle, Sutter (when healthy :roll:), Gaudette, Loui and all them other plugs.
Per wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:23 pm Damnit, you,ve got me beaten. I’m stuck at 40.
Didn't you and Wids hook up in St. Pete?

You could say you shared 40 together, eh wot? ;)
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hank wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:04 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:27 pm I wouldn’t be giving Bo the Lions share of hard matchups. What a waste of a player. If I was Green I wouldn’t be matching lineups like a fiend until I had to.
To be fair, Beagle (and Sutter when healthy :roll:) was one of the big reasons which allowed Bo to grow as an offensive player last year. Honestly, Bo is a horrid PK'er and a bit overrated defensively (don't @me folks, it's the dead truth). When Beags was out, the PK cratered.

Green needs to give Bo the offensive green light and pass on the dirty work to Beagle, Sutter (when healthy :roll:), Gaudette, Loui and all them other plugs.
+1
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:23 pm Damnit, you,ve got me beaten. I’m stuck at 40.

+2
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Ferkland Petey Boeser

Pearson Horvat Miller

Baertschi Gaudette Virtanen

Motte Beagle Sutter

Edler Tanev

Hughes Myers

Benn Stecher

Biega
Fantenberg

Marky
Demko

Pin the ears back on the top 9 and let them some fun.
Playoffs with that team, if Green let’s them play.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I hear Wids will take out her teeth if you load up her on sherry
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:27 pm
Louis in the press box >>>>Image
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:27 pm
...Hughes Myers

...HUGHES
......+
MYERS
Last edited by Mickey107 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"evolution"