2019/20 Pacific Division

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019/20 Pacific Division

Post by ESQ »

We'll, Gio was an excellent defenceman on a crappy team. Last year he was a ppg, which is probably one of the top-10 best offensive seasons by a true Dman in the last decade (actually, maybe I should be more careful and double check that, since Mëds is firing on all cylinders this morning!)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:01 am We'll, Gio was an excellent defenceman on a crappy team. Last year he was a ppg, which is probably one of the top-10 best offensive seasons by a true Dman in the last decade (actually, maybe I should be more careful and double check that, since Mëds is firing on all cylinders this morning!)
:lol: :lol:
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Mëds wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:29 am That's a good question actually. Ever since 2004 it felt like Calgary always thought they were a piece or two away and never actually pulled the plug on the roster, they just keep rolling out a revolving core. They got lucky with Gio turning into the player he is, but they really haven't rebuilt. They are still a piece or two away, and have never drafted to find those pieces.

They branded it a rebuild a couple times, but there's never been completion.

Monahan between Gaudreau and Tkachuk reminds me of BMo centering the Dyanmic Duo on the WCE.
I disagree. They went through a rebuild. To be sure, for years after their cup run they had the belief that their core with tweaks could make another run -- and refused to rebuild. The problem was that they thought their overachievement was the level they should play at, when in reality they were a playoff bubble team -- good, not great.

But they blew it up when they traded Iginla, JayBo, Tanguay, etc. When they did this, they really had nothing certain to replace them with, and in 2013-14, iced a team full of crap. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leag ... 32014.html.

But they had 3 1st round picks in 2013. That's when they got Monahan. They added a second the next year. The extra firsts didn't work out, but that was the plan. Fortunately for Flames fans, Gaudreau (a 2011 4th rounder) would look great in 2014-15, and this was like finding a million dollars in your attic.

And then feeling good about Monahan and Gaudreau and feeling great about Bennett (and with, by this time, deep stable of prospects), the Flames went for it when they added Hamilton. The core wasn't ready yet -- but (like the Canucks now), they decided it was close enough. They moved for a potential top pairing guy with elite offense -- a player that might fill the gap that has eluded the Canucks. They were still speculating a bit there; but they wanted that age so Hamilton would be vital as the new offense was built around Gaudreau and Monahan.

Hamilton didn't work out as they wanted, and so they get Hamonic and they turn Hamilton into Hanafin -- another player that hasn't developed fully yet and they probably hope will turn into an all situations guy.

The problem is that their goaltending is mediocre. For the AHL.

Other than that, they have a quality core with decent support.
Hono_rary Canadian
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

From my view point, I think they need another first line player on offense, and a decent goalie, before I would consider them to be a deep playoff team. As good as Gaudreau is, I don't think he is the type of player you build around - he is more of a guy that is added to a true franchise player (ie - McKinnon or someone similar). Monahan is a great player, but I don't consider him a top line center - he should be the 2nd line center. Anyway, a true No. 1 centre is really the missing piece on offense for the Flames. I just don't see how they are going to acquire that type of player. The best they are going to do, is whatever they can get for Brodie/Frolik, etc.

As mentioned previously, Talbot is a question mark in goal. Rittich has proved to be a decent goalie, but if Talbot turns out to be a flop, they are in real trouble as I don't think Rittich can play 50 games or so during the season.

Anyway, at this point, they are a playoff team, but not a Stanley cup contender.

As for Hamilton, I think he is way overhyped. Sure, he has a great shot, but it doesn't make up for his defensive lapses. I don't think he was a real team guy. Hanafin may not have the shot that Hamilton has, but I think he is a better D man at this point, and will only get better. Calgary certainly didn't take a step back by trading him.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

UWSaint wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:06 am
Mëds wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:29 am That's a good question actually. Ever since 2004 it felt like Calgary always thought they were a piece or two away and never actually pulled the plug on the roster, they just keep rolling out a revolving core. They got lucky with Gio turning into the player he is, but they really haven't rebuilt. They are still a piece or two away, and have never drafted to find those pieces.

They branded it a rebuild a couple times, but there's never been completion.

Monahan between Gaudreau and Tkachuk reminds me of BMo centering the Dyanmic Duo on the WCE.
I disagree. They went through a rebuild. To be sure, for years after their cup run they had the belief that their core with tweaks could make another run -- and refused to rebuild. The problem was that they thought their overachievement was the level they should play at, when in reality they were a playoff bubble team -- good, not great.

But they blew it up when they traded Iginla, JayBo, Tanguay, etc. When they did this, they really had nothing certain to replace them with, and in 2013-14, iced a team full of crap. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leag ... 32014.html.

But they had 3 1st round picks in 2013. That's when they got Monahan. They added a second the next year. The extra firsts didn't work out, but that was the plan. Fortunately for Flames fans, Gaudreau (a 2011 4th rounder) would look great in 2014-15, and this was like finding a million dollars in your attic.

And then feeling good about Monahan and Gaudreau and feeling great about Bennett (and with, by this time, deep stable of prospects), the Flames went for it when they added Hamilton. The core wasn't ready yet -- but (like the Canucks now), they decided it was close enough. They moved for a potential top pairing guy with elite offense -- a player that might fill the gap that has eluded the Canucks. They were still speculating a bit there; but they wanted that age so Hamilton would be vital as the new offense was built around Gaudreau and Monahan.

Hamilton didn't work out as they wanted, and so they get Hamonic and they turn Hamilton into Hanafin -- another player that hasn't developed fully yet and they probably hope will turn into an all situations guy.

The problem is that their goaltending is mediocre. For the AHL.

Other than that, they have a quality core with decent support.
Fair points. I suppose I did overlook those 3 picks in 2013.....probably because of how forgettable the other two picks were.

Bennett being a borderline bust for a few years also makes it seem like they are just a more successful version of Edmonton. :P
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Flames, city of Calgary reach tentative deal for new arena.....
The city of Calgary has reached a tentative deal with the Flames for a new arena to replace the Scotiabank Saddledome, reports Meghan Potkins of the Calgary Herald.

City council members will discuss the proposed agreement on Monday behind closed doors.

"Discussions are productive but they're not complete," councilor Jeff Davison said earlier in July, according to Potkins. "We can't give an exact date as to when we'll be back with any information (but) I'm confident if we do bring a plan back, that the public will support it."

The projected cost of the new building will be between $550 million and $600 million, and the proposed arena will seat 18,000 along with retail space, a community rink, and 40,000 square feet of underground parking.

The Saddledome opened in 1983 and has hosted the Flames since
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1799902
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Avalanche sign Bowen Byram to an entry level contract...

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/aval ... -308302606
"evolution"
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

On Calpuck, they are claiming that Lucic has been traded to Calgary for Neal. There is probably more involved, including salary retention by the Oilers for Lucic. On the face of it, I hate this trade. There better be something more to it, otherwise, this is the worst trade Treliving has made since become GM.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BCExpat wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:52 pm On Calpuck, they are claiming that Lucic has been traded to Calgary for Neal. There is probably more involved, including salary retention by the Oilers for Lucic. On tyhe face of it, I hate this trade. There better be something more to it, otherwise, this is the worst trade Treliving has made since become GM.
Ya thats a rough one for the flames. Yikes.
If you need air...call it in
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

BCExpat wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:52 pm On Calpuck, they are claiming that Lucic has been traded to Calgary for Neal. There is probably more involved, including salary retention by the Oilers for Lucic. On the face of it, I hate this trade. There better be something more to it, otherwise, this is the worst trade Treliving has made since become GM.
So the biggest moves by the Flames and the Oilers this offseason has been swapping their crappy goalies and now swapping their crappy underperforming wingers.

I'm tellin ya, there's an opening for the Canucks in the Pac to make the playoffs!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

micky107 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:03 am .
Flames, city of Calgary reach tentative deal for new arena.....
The city of Calgary has reached a tentative deal with the Flames for a new arena to replace the Scotiabank Saddledome, reports Meghan Potkins of the Calgary Herald.

City council members will discuss the proposed agreement on Monday behind closed doors.

"Discussions are productive but they're not complete," councilor Jeff Davison said earlier in July, according to Potkins. "We can't give an exact date as to when we'll be back with any information (but) I'm confident if we do bring a plan back, that the public will support it."

The projected cost of the new building will be between $550 million and $600 million, and the proposed arena will seat 18,000 along with retail space, a community rink, and 40,000 square feet of underground parking.

The Saddledome opened in 1983 and has hosted the Flames since
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1799902

Why bother with a new arena?!? I thought they just washed it a couple years ago....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=calgary+ ... v8NYXAOFAM
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Edmonton the clear winner on this trade. Finding a dancing partner to take Lucic off their hands is a feat in itself. Lucic needs to hang them up, he’s awful. Could see Neal find his former Las Vegas self in Edmonton.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports
I asked Milan Lucic if he was asked to waive his NTC in last year to go to the #Canucks : “No never. There was never a trade to Vancouver as far as I’m concerned.”

Doesn’t sound like Eriksson - Lucic swap ever got serious.
4:54 PM · Jul 19, 2019 ·
Reckon it was the media that started the rumors, mm? :oops:
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

micky107 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:29 pm
Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports
I asked Milan Lucic if he was asked to waive his NTC in last year to go to the #Canucks : “No never. There was never a trade to Vancouver as far as I’m concerned.”

The media here starts a lot of false rumours.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:32 am
micky107 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:29 pm
Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports

The media here starts a lot of false rumours.
Canucks Army wrote:Two weeks ago, Jason Gregor of TSN 1200 appeared on TSN 1040 and said a source told him that Benning and company talked about swapping Eriksson for Lucic
Dude, care to share your thoughts with Halford and Brough?