2019/20 Pacific Division

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019/20 Pacific Division

Post by Mickey107 »

1) Flames

2) Golden Knights

3) Canucks

4) Oilers

5) Sharks

6) Coyotes

7) Ducks

8) Kings

can't laugh in advance of april.
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:28 am 1) Flames

2) Golden Knights

3) Canucks

4) Oilers

5) Sharks

6) Coyotes

7) Ducks

8) Kings

can't laugh in advance of april.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl ... ades-2019/

I got a kick out of this, they rank San Jose as the 5th most improved team so far this off-season. They basically lost their entire second line and a top-3 defender in Braun. They've added nobody, only managed to retain Eriksson who they had all of last season (minus the injuries of course).

Vancouver added a top-4 defenseman, and a reliable bottom pairing guy in Benn, then added JT Miller and now Ferland. But we get a ranking of 14th.

I could easily see San Jose dropping down the standings this year, I don't see them dropping below the Oilers.

3, 4, and 5, are quite likely going to be a fight between Vancouver, San Jose, and Arizona.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:02 pm
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl ... ades-2019/

I got a kick out of this, they rank San Jose as the 5th most improved team so far this off-season. They basically lost their entire second line and a top-3 defender in Braun. They've added nobody, only managed to retain Eriksson who they had all of last season (minus the injuries of course).

Vancouver added a top-4 defenseman, and a reliable bottom pairing guy in Benn, then added JT Miller and now Ferland. But we get a ranking of 14th.

I could easily see San Jose dropping down the standings this year, I don't see them dropping below the Oilers.

3, 4, and 5, are quite likely going to be a fight between Vancouver, San Jose, and Arizona.
That is a bizarre ranking, but I guess if he's assuming Boeser leaves or something it could make sense?

TSN's Oilers preview identifies the D as the biggest weakness, and I agree with Yost that the Sekera buyout makes no sense.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

The Flames are still going to trade one or more of Frolik, Brodie, Jankowski or Neal (don't see anyone wanting Neal). I think Brodie will fetch a decent return. Frolik might get a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I hope they keep Jankowski as he has turned into a great penalty killer. The key is what they will get for Brodie - hopefully a 2nd line forward. Hamonic's name has been associated with trade rumors, but I hope they keep him as he is a very steady and gritty D man.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BCExpat wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:50 am The Flames are still going to trade one or more of Frolik, Brodie, Jankowski or Neal (don't see anyone wanting Neal). I think Brodie will fetch a decent return. Frolik might get a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I hope they keep Jankowski as he has turned into a great penalty killer. The key is what they will get for Brodie - hopefully a 2nd line forward. Hamonic's name has been associated with trade rumors, but I hope they keep him as he is a very steady and gritty D man.
The problem I see for Calgary will always be their goaltending and who will replace the monstrous Giordano. He’s old as dirt
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:52 am
BCExpat wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:50 am The Flames are still going to trade one or more of Frolik, Brodie, Jankowski or Neal (don't see anyone wanting Neal). I think Brodie will fetch a decent return. Frolik might get a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I hope they keep Jankowski as he has turned into a great penalty killer. The key is what they will get for Brodie - hopefully a 2nd line forward. Hamonic's name has been associated with trade rumors, but I hope they keep him as he is a very steady and gritty D man.
The problem I see for Calgary will always be their goaltending and who will replace the monstrous Giordano. He’s old as dirt
Didnt he just win a Norris? They can probably deal with his age if hes still bringing home the brass
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Brodie has become the fan favorite whipping boy around the 960 world. Not entirely sure thats justified unless hes riding a monster contract. His game is a slightly better version of Russell who also seems to make more than you would say hes worth but mobile dmen are worth a pretty penny
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:32 am
Didnt he just win a Norris? They can probably deal with his age if hes still bringing home the brass
When the most important player on your team turns 36 in October the future looks bleak long term. Hamonic - LOL!!!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:35 am
Brodie has become the fan favorite whipping boy around the 960 world. Not entirely sure thats justified unless hes riding a monster contract. His game is a slightly better version of Russell who also seems to make more than you would say hes worth but mobile dmen are worth a pretty penny
There's no comparison between Russell and Brodie. First of, Brodie could skate circles around Russell. Russell does block a lot of shots but doesn't have the mobility or the talent that Brodie has. I'm not saying Brodie is great, it's just that Russell isn't that good. I'm not sure why he is a whipping boy on Fan 960, but the flames need to shed some salary and they may not be able to afford him as they will be up against the cap. He should get a decent return when he is finally traded.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Gio is old, but they have Valimaki who looks like he's going to be able to replace Gio in a year or 2. They also have Andersson, who was great last year. Add in Kilington, they have some decent guys to fill in on D when Gio finally does regress (I could see maybe one more year at the level he's at, before he takes a few steps back). They also have Hanafin, so they have a solid group of decent young D men, so the future is not bleak for the Flames in terms of defence.

The jury is out on the goaltending. If Talbot plays like he did 2 years ago in Edmonton when they made the playoffs, the Flames will be just fine in goal. However, he could end up playing like he did last year, in which case, they better hope Ritich doesn't regress.

Up front, they really could use another top six forward - hopefully that is what they get in return for Brodie. As Uncle Dan said, the market value for mobile D men is high.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

BCExpat wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:20 pm
Gio is old, but they have Valimaki who looks like he's going to be able to replace Gio in a year or 2. They also have Andersson, who was great last year. Add in Kilington, they have some decent guys to fill in on D when Gio finally does regress (I could see maybe one more year at the level he's at, before he takes a few steps back). They also have Hanafin, so they have a solid group of decent young D men, so the future is not bleak for the Flames in terms of defence.

The jury is out on the goaltending. If Talbot plays like he did 2 years ago in Edmonton when they made the playoffs, the Flames will be just fine in goal. However, he could end up playing like he did last year, in which case, they better hope Ritich doesn't regress.

Up front, they really could use another top six forward - hopefully that is what they get in return for Brodie. As Uncle Dan said, the market value for mobile D men is high.
If I was a Flame fan, I'd be asking if the team has a core group which is good enough and deep enough to go deep into the playoffs...

Other than Gaudreau and Tkachuk and Gio, which players would you say are elite?

It lacks an elite centreman and goaltender and the best teams in the league are strong down the middle ...

It does have a number of very good, secondary type of players especially on the blueline which should see them fighting for a playoff spot assuming as you say the goaltending holds up and the injury bug looks the other way...

But are they a fast team, or a big tough team, or an overly skilled team? It seems to be a team that doesn't have an identity....

I've known Gio since he was riding the buses in the AHL and am a big fan, but its a big ask for him to repeat the season he just had....

This won't go over well, but thinking about the Canucks post their 101 point season which saw them go out to Ferland, I mean the Flames in 6 games, if the Flames either don't make the postseason or go out early again in the post season, is it too soon to start tearing it down and rebuilding?

Take care...
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

They would be better off if they could get Kiprusoff to come out of retirement.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

rikster wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:53 pm
BCExpat wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:20 pm

If I was a Flame fan, I'd be asking if the team has a core group which is good enough and deep enough to go deep into the playoffs...

Other than Gaudreau and Tkachuk and Gio, which players would you say are elite?

It lacks an elite centreman and goaltender and the best teams in the league are strong down the middle ...

It does have a number of very good, secondary type of players especially on the blueline which should see them fighting for a playoff spot assuming as you say the goaltending holds up and the injury bug looks the other way...

But are they a fast team, or a big tough team, or an overly skilled team? It seems to be a team that doesn't have an identity....

I've known Gio since he was riding the buses in the AHL and am a big fan, but its a big ask for him to repeat the season he just had....

This won't go over well, but thinking about the Canucks post their 101 point season which saw them go out to Ferland, I mean the Flames in 6 games, if the Flames either don't make the postseason or go out early again in the post season, is it too soon to start tearing it down and rebuilding?

Take care...
That's a good question actually. Ever since 2004 it felt like Calgary always thought they were a piece or two away and never actually pulled the plug on the roster, they just keep rolling out a revolving core. They got lucky with Gio turning into the player he is, but they really haven't rebuilt. They are still a piece or two away, and have never drafted to find those pieces.

They branded it a rebuild a couple times, but there's never been completion.

Monahan between Gaudreau and Tkachuk reminds me of BMo centering the Dyanmic Duo on the WCE.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:29 am

Take care...
That's a good question actually. Ever since 2004 it felt like Calgary always thought they were a piece or two away and never actually pulled the plug on the roster, they just keep rolling out a revolving core. They got lucky with Gio turning into the player he is, but they really haven't rebuilt. They are still a piece or two away, and have never drafted to find those pieces.

Monahan between Gaudreau and Tkachuk reminds me of BMo centering the Dyanmic Duo on the WCE.
Lucky with Gio "finding another gear" ...at age 35...and lucky with pulling their best player out of the 6th round.

Last season was borderline miraculous for how few injuries they had.
Last edited by ESQ on Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:55 am
Mëds wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:29 am

Take care...

Lucky with Gio "finding another gear" ...at age 35...and lucky with pulling their best player out of the 6th round.

Last season was borderline miraculous for how few injuries they had.
[/quote]

Gio has been good for several years. I was speaking more overall in terms of him turning into a top dman, not just referring to last season.

And Gaudreau was a 4th round selection. :P