Offseason grades so far

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Offseason grades & Load Management

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:43 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:01 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:40 am
Mëds wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:19 am I'm just spit-balling here, but I'm of the opinion that Tanev should still return a 2nd rounder and a prospect at this point.
The idea was to add depth, trading Tanev now doesn't make sense, particularly as Myers isn't the same type of player and Benn can't handle those kind of minutes. As for next season, if we're near a playoff spot, we're not trading Tanev.

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Myers
Benn - Stetcher
Biega - Fantenberg
There’s some talk that if they can move tanev, they’d bring Hutton back and move benn to the right side (supposedly he plays better on his off side).
Either way, that would make us a worse team, so if the goal is playoffs I'm not sure why they'd do that. Benn and Hutton are bottom-pairing guys. Tanev is a legit top-4, and capable of being the defensive partner on a top pairing.
This, Tanev enables Baumer to roll with 3 reliable pairings and with the reinforcements added this offseason, Baumer can lessen the workload on Edler + Tanev so they don't have to be such workhorses and overextending themselves,
"load management".
After what was virtually a write-off of a season last year, Leonard has credited the Raptors medical staff for how healthy he is now.

"Me missing games isn't just to keep me fresh," he told reporters after a game last month. "It's obviously making sure I don't reinjure something that I was out for last year. [Raptors medical staff] have been doing a good job of reading images and making sure that I'm improving instead of declining on the health side.

"It feels a lot better than when I started the season. There was a little spell where it kind of plateaued but everybody brought their minds together and we figured out a way and now things are looking good and I'm feeling good."

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/nb ... -1.5103502
So what exactly is load management?

According to an IOC Consensus statement on load management published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine in 2016, “the aim of load management is to optimally configure training, competition and other load to maximize adaptation and performance with a minimal risk of injury. Load management therefore comprises the appropriate prescription, monitoring and adjustment of external and internal loads.”

In other words, load management isn’t just about minimizing injury risk in a player. It’s about optimizing that player’s effectiveness over the long-term.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba ... i-leonard/
Edler, Tanev and now Roussel would be best served with load management - not playing in back to back games & other special circumstances those 3 games in 4 nights type of scenarios - or whatever ridiculous scheduling.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Offseason grades so far

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benn and Hutton. Hahaha
Ben Hutton.
The only HW the Canucks need
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

I believe the hold up on Hutton is Jake Gardiner. He might be plan B/C for teams bidding on JG.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:31 pm Edler, Tanev and now Roussel would be best served with load management - not playing in back to back games & other special circumstances those 3 games in 4 nights type of scenarios - or whatever ridiculous scheduling.
I think it depends greatly on what injury you're trying to prevent/deal with. Leonard played 9 games the previous season, and basketball players play a lot of minutes (34+/night for KL last year).

I'm not sure how load management prevents a concussion, broken bone from blocking a shot, dude falling on your knee etc. etc. I guess every game a player misses is 15-25 minutes of TOI they can't be injured, but short of Edler's wonky back I'm not sure it would do much to prevent the injuries these guys have seen.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:41 pm Benn and Hutton. Hahaha
That'll be fun for Shorty whenever he describes the Benn/Hutton pairing.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:59 am ....I can’t see it happening unless the Canucks fall out of the race by the TDL...
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:56 am If they are a half dozen points out at the deadline....

Pssst, pipe down. There's only one outcome here, we WILL make the playoffs. :D
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:43 pm
SKYO wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:31 pm Edler, Tanev and now Roussel would be best served with load management - not playing in back to back games & other special circumstances those 3 games in 4 nights type of scenarios - or whatever ridiculous scheduling.
I think it depends greatly on what injury you're trying to prevent/deal with. Leonard played 9 games the previous season, and basketball players play a lot of minutes (34+/night for KL last year).

I'm not sure how load management prevents a concussion, broken bone from blocking a shot, dude falling on your knee etc. etc. I guess every game a player misses is 15-25 minutes of TOI they can't be injured, but short of Edler's wonky back I'm not sure it would do much to prevent the injuries these guys have seen.
Yeah load management isn’t going to prevent too much other than maybe the odd soft tissue injury. Skyo just likes typing load management
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:45 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:59 am ....I can’t see it happening unless the Canucks fall out of the race by the TDL...
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:56 am If they are a half dozen points out at the deadline....

Pssst, pipe down. There's only one outcome here, we WILL make the playoffs. :D
Apparently and the rebuild is over too
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:46 pm Apparently and the rebuild is over too
Your Vancouver Canucks are "transitioning from a rebuild"...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

They moved from rebuilding to building.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:50 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:46 pm Apparently and the rebuild is over too
Your Vancouver Canucks are "transitioning from a rebuild"...
Which could take a bit. You’ve been the only person to use that terminology which is pretty slick. There’s been half a dozen posters at least who have proclaimed it yo be over as we speak
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:59 am ..........

Benning also has time to try and recover that pick somehow.

I have no doubt he will try to recover it and he should, but doubt he can. At the very least should try to score a 2nd and a 3rd somehow if possible. Maybe Tanev, maybe Baertschi if he can stay healthy for a few months out of the gate and produces similar to the short time he did last year. Accumulating picks should've been one of the M.O.'s at the outset of the rebuild, but pretty evident that's not a priority for this regime and now that the "rebuild is behind us", why would they now?

Even if JB does somehow manage to score something back, at the risk of upsetting the cult, I remain unconvinced he should've made the trade to begin with..even with the lotto protection (well aware of the parameters, thx).
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The rebuild may be over, but the continual building is never over.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hank wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:01 pm The rebuild may be over, but the continual building is never over.
50 years and counting...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:50 pm They moved from rebuilding to building.

Another brilliant tagline

CANUCKS 2019/20

RE>BUILDING

...or with strikethough on the "RE"