Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rikster
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by rikster »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:54 am Recent article on where an NHL franchise could happen. I don't agree with the final analysis but the read is decent;

https://www.sportsinsider.com/next-city ... ting-odds/

My own opinion is Quebec City will support a team; A winning team, only. C-
Atlanta? What is this, three strikes? :crazy: D
Saskatchewan or The Maritimes? Cute idea but; D
Portland is my idea of an almost for sure success. B+. In about 6 to 7 years.
Southern Ontario? Only if it's a relocation from Ottawa.
San Diego? Watch out for low flying aircraft. And, Hey Pedro? Pass the puck!
Just saying, where else would they draw fans from. LA? Ever tried that? Yikes. D
Houston? Would take a few years but ya, quite likely work. C+

Regardless; Never more than 32 teams, at least looking 15-20 years ahead.

The Admission Fees, the league loves. Whats the one after Seattle, a billion?
Relocation may be ugly but is that not a better choice under present some circumstances ?
They're looking on the wrong continent....

The question is will the NHL get there first just like they did in Vegas, or will the NFL be the first to bring an entirely new revenue stream to its coffers?...

https://thehockeywriters.com/the-real-n ... in-europe/

Take care...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:18 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:14 am The worry with EP is going to be injuries. I reckon Benning is making an effort to surround skinny Petey with bigger players who can maybe ease some of the punishment he takes.

I know if i was running a defensive strategy on a guy like that the plan would be to thump him every chance you get.
Who do they have on the team that can protect?
Its not about kung fu its about dressing a bigger team that can absorb more forechecking energy. Plus both Hughes and Myers will be moving the puck up more effectively than the retreads we had in the bottom 3 d slots which should allow him more room
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:14 am The worry with EP is going to be injuries. I reckon Benning is making an effort to surround skinny Petey with bigger players who can maybe ease some of the punishment he takes.

I know if i was running a defensive strategy on a guy like that the plan would be to thump him every chance you get.
Nobody
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

2019 World Junior Summer Series: Woo, Focht, Hoglander, and Utunen make their team's rosters.

This link, (site), will show all the team's rosters;
https://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/show ... ada-roster

It's like re-living last and this year's drafts..

Don't know about viewing availability, if any.

Here's a little more, courtesy Carol Schram's latest article;
https://teamusa.usahockey.com/2019wjss
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:33 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:14 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:58 pm Where do you come up with this shit?
I pull that shit out of my ass.

2023 Quebec City, book it!
Ok then Tuna. :lol:

https://business.financialpost.com/fina ... -franchise
Hmmm...
The red ink didn’t bother Daryl Jones. As a kid in Alberta, Jones grew up worshipping Oilers great Paul Coffey, and eventually left home to play hockey at Yale University, before graduating into the world of high finance. In 2013, he and a bunch of other rich Albertans bought the sad-sack Coyotes from the NHL for US$170 million. “We thought, No. 1, that NHL franchise values would go up, and that has largely proven to be true,” Jones says from Connecticut, where he now lives. “It would also enable us to make money when we sold out — the rising tide of franchise values.”

Jones and his partners learned some valuable lessons about hockey in the desert during nearly four years as NHL owners, chiefly: the Coyotes have a loyal fan base; the team’s arena couldn’t be located in a worse spot in terms of fans accessing it for weeknight games; financial losses are hard to stem; and Bettman is sticking by Arizona — at least for now. Their bet on increasing franchise values, meanwhile, paid off. They essentially doubled an initial US$45-million equity investment, selling to U.S. hedge fund manager, and now lone Coyotes owner, Andrew Barroway in 2017. (Barroway is shopping for new partners, and has valued the Coyotes at US$500 million).

Jones now owns a piece of a junior team in Dubuque, Iowa. He believes that Quebec City could work as an NHL market

Meantime, while it varies from team to team, ticket sales, game-day concessions, foam fingers, hats, sweaters and ice cream bars — all the money people who actually attend the games shell out — still represent about 50% of a given franchise’s revenue intake. Canadians still go to games. Canadian fans still drive revenues.

Loving hockey almost too much has not landed the country an eighth NHL franchise, or, for that matter, a Stanley Cup champion since 1993, but it is one reason not to completely abandon hope. “We are probably not likely to see a Canadian market get an NHL expansion franchise. It will be a Houston, or another market like that,” Mason says. “But if you see a franchise that continues to be in trouble, you can’t tell me that Quebec City is a worse market than Florida — even with a 60-cent dollar.” (and Canadian vs American dollar is cyclical)
Here I was joking and ole Mëds produces an article that says it's a possibility.

Interesting! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Well Jimmy has been making your Canucks a heavier team for quite some time now.

Your Canucks have a coach and players who have the know how/the wherewithal to play the ole

... You Run Our Stars, We'll Run Yours game.

And I think your Canucks have quite a few players now who will stick up for their teammates...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:54 am Recent article on where an NHL franchise could happen. I don't agree with the final analysis but the read is decent;

https://www.sportsinsider.com/next-city ... ting-odds/

My own opinion is Quebec City will support a team; A winning team, only. C-
Atlanta? What is this, three strikes? :crazy: D
Saskatchewan or The Maritimes? Cute idea but; D
Portland is my idea of an almost for sure success. B+. In about 6 to 7 years.
Southern Ontario? Only if it's a relocation from Ottawa.
San Diego? Watch out for low flying aircraft. And, Hey Pedro? Pass the puck!
Just saying, where else would they draw fans from. LA? Ever tried that? Yikes. D
Houston? Would take a few years but ya, quite likely work. C+

Regardless; Never more than 32 teams, at least looking 15-20 years ahead.

The Admission Fees, the league loves. Whats the one after Seattle, a billion?
Relocation may be ugly but is that not a better choice under present some circumstances ?
32 teams is plenty. The league is watered down enough already.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:24 pm
Mëds wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:33 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:14 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:58 pm Where do you come up with this shit?
I pull that shit out of my ass.

2023 Quebec City, book it!
Ok then Tuna. :lol:

https://business.financialpost.com/fina ... -franchise
Hmmm...
The red ink didn’t bother Daryl Jones. As a kid in Alberta, Jones grew up worshipping Oilers great Paul Coffey, and eventually left home to play hockey at Yale University, before graduating into the world of high finance. In 2013, he and a bunch of other rich Albertans bought the sad-sack Coyotes from the NHL for US$170 million. “We thought, No. 1, that NHL franchise values would go up, and that has largely proven to be true,” Jones says from Connecticut, where he now lives. “It would also enable us to make money when we sold out — the rising tide of franchise values.”

Jones and his partners learned some valuable lessons about hockey in the desert during nearly four years as NHL owners, chiefly: the Coyotes have a loyal fan base; the team’s arena couldn’t be located in a worse spot in terms of fans accessing it for weeknight games; financial losses are hard to stem; and Bettman is sticking by Arizona — at least for now. Their bet on increasing franchise values, meanwhile, paid off. They essentially doubled an initial US$45-million equity investment, selling to U.S. hedge fund manager, and now lone Coyotes owner, Andrew Barroway in 2017. (Barroway is shopping for new partners, and has valued the Coyotes at US$500 million).

Jones now owns a piece of a junior team in Dubuque, Iowa. He believes that Quebec City could work as an NHL market

Meantime, while it varies from team to team, ticket sales, game-day concessions, foam fingers, hats, sweaters and ice cream bars — all the money people who actually attend the games shell out — still represent about 50% of a given franchise’s revenue intake. Canadians still go to games. Canadian fans still drive revenues.

Loving hockey almost too much has not landed the country an eighth NHL franchise, or, for that matter, a Stanley Cup champion since 1993, but it is one reason not to completely abandon hope. “We are probably not likely to see a Canadian market get an NHL expansion franchise. It will be a Houston, or another market like that,” Mason says. “But if you see a franchise that continues to be in trouble, you can’t tell me that Quebec City is a worse market than Florida — even with a 60-cent dollar.” (and Canadian vs American dollar is cyclical)
Here I was joking and ole Mëds produces an article that says it's a possibility.

Interesting! :mrgreen:
Like I said, unless it's a relocation. ;)

But there's another article I'll try to source, it essentially says that the Canadian market is not an option for the league because the TV revenue just isn't there, and the league's current buy-in fee is insane.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

“But if you see a franchise that continues to be in trouble, you can’t tell me that Quebec City is a worse market than Florida — even with a 60-cent dollar.”
Thought it was a common philosophy in business that your first loss is your best loss?...

Or two wrongs don't make a right....

From an ownership point of view, why fart around with another small Canadian market when you can open multiple markets overseas?

Take care..
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I doubt they move a franchise overseas with current 82 game schedule. Too much travel.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:20 am I doubt they move a franchise overseas with current 82 game schedule. Too much travel.
Agree, but they do open up a Euro Division with 6 or 8 new teams to start....

Take care...
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

rikster wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:27 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:20 am I doubt they move a franchise overseas with current 82 game schedule. Too much travel.

Take care...
Doubtful that the NHL starts that out. More like the AHL would test drive that theory for a few years first. Less financial risk.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Take care...
A European league would be disastrous for the NHL. Look what the KHL did for/to Russian players. Imagine all those Euro players who can now play in the NHL and stay in Europe.
The only HW the Canucks need
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:07 am

Take care...
A European league would be disastrous for the NHL. Look what the KHL did for/to Russian players. Imagine all those Euro players who can now play in the NHL and stay in Europe.
Don't think that is much of a concern, and speaking of KHL they have teams from outside of Russia in their league...

With that logic, every BC born player would be playing for Vancouver and every Toronto born player would be playing for the leaves...

Or the Euro players would all go home after their NHL careers are over...

Expansion to Europe will happen, its just a matter of time ...

Take care...
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:07 am
Could not possibly agree more. "The Entry Draft", would end up being a joke as many Euro players would want to play in their country of
origin. The NHL as we know it, would ruined.
Presently, NHL teams are a cool mix of nationalities.
There are World tournaments and there is the Olympics. That's enough!
Broadcasting rights would change. Time zones would lose the NHL hundreds of millions in live viewing incomes.
Would this expanded NHL use the same ice size? Everywhere?
Maybe it's North American bias but I love the NHL the way it is and has always been.
"evolution"