2019 offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 offseason

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:01 am Blob is right in some respects. A fifth straight year with no playoff revenue won’t be a good look for Benning. But it’s going to be how far off the mark they are that makes the difference I think. It won’t be black and white; playoffs=extension, missing =no new deal.

if we are competitive in most games, if we stay relevant and in the playoff race until the end, well Benning will be back.
Bingo. If they are legitimately in the race. Like a point or three out and just miss and end up with 91-94 points, he likely keeps his gig. But last season was a mirage the 81 points were padded big time in 3 on 3. They need a lot more than 22 regulation wins. If they didn’t kick ass in 3 on 3 and the shootout they could have ended up with 71 points. And they can’t count on 91 points being the playoff bar.

Dude and his cheerleading squad think this is some sort of witch-hunt for Ignitowski. It’s common fucking sense.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:12 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:01 am Blob is right in some respects. A fifth straight year with no playoff revenue won’t be a good look for Benning. But it’s going to be how far off the mark they are that makes the difference I think. It won’t be black and white; playoffs=extension, missing =no new deal.

if we are competitive in most games, if we stay relevant and in the playoff race until the end, well Benning will be back.
Bingo. If they are legitimately in the race. Like a point or three out sand just miss and end up with 91-94 points, he likely keeps his gig. But last season was a mirage the 81 points were padded big time in 3 on 3. They need a lot more than 22 regulation wins. If they didn’t kick ass in 3 on 3 and the shootout they could have ended up with 71 points. And they can’t count on 91 points being the playoff bar.
A must to get the Eriksson man out of town. A must to finally make the tough calls in respect to players like Goldy and Jake.
Do they have enough hockey IQ to really be useful?
His cap management is also critical. For many reasons, not the least of which. IS>>If we are looking like a team that appears to be on it's way to the post season and want to add something, gotta have options.

Of note; Benning didn't exactly draft for the now, he drafted for at least two years from now.
That's either just being responsible os assuming he'll still be around, (in some capacity), one way or another.
"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Bingo. If they are legitimately in the race. Like a point or three out and just miss and end up with 91-94 points, he likely keeps his gig. But last season was a mirage the 81 points were padded big time in 3 on 3. They need a lot more than 22 regulation wins. If they didn’t kick ass in 3 on 3 and the shootout they could have ended up with 71 points. And they can’t count on 91 points being the playoff bar.

Dude and his cheerleading squad think this is some sort of witch-hunt for Ignitowski. It’s common fucking sense.
The team also lost like 15, one goal games, and had a putrid power play, even just a league average pp would have bumped the wins up. Also having great 3 on 3 players is a good thing
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:16 am

The team also lost like 15, one goal games, and had a putrid power play, even just a league average pp would have bumped the wins up. Also having great 3 on 3 players is a good thing
The team also got better by dumping Guddy and Hutton. That's a combined -50 +/- replaced with a combined +26 (Meyers n Benn). That improvement on defense alone will win us a few more points. (we also had 14 sub-par goaltending games with Nielson, Bachman and DiPietro that will hopefully be played by Demko this season...)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:26 am
A must to get the Eriksson man out of town. A must to finally make the tough calls in respect to players like Goldy and Jake.
Agreed Mick - they really need to get rid of him now and use the cap space to get someone who can actually be worth a $6M cap hit.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:27 pm
micky107 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:26 am
Agreed Mick - they really need to get rid of him now and use the cap space to get someone who can actually be worth a $6M cap hit.
No shit they should get rid of him now. Are you prepared to part with Hoglander, Woo or a future 1st or two 2nds?

Attaching Tryamkin, Virtanen or Olaf isn’t getting it done.

Park his ass in Utica or Kalamazoo and hope he retires
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I do not think it will take a 1st but I could be wrong.

He must have some value playing a PK role on a team needing to meet the cap floor. I heard he is fantastic in the dressing room and great around the kids. Trying to put a positive spin on this.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:08 am Bottom line is Elmer is going to need a serious improvement in performance from the team (like say going from 81 points to 95) to retain his gig.
We know you hate GMJB and dream of him getting fired, no need to post it 5 times per day...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:06 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:08 am Bottom line is Elmer is going to need a serious improvement in performance from the team (like say going from 81 points to 95) to retain his gig.
We know you hate most of GMJB’s early work and it was atrocious for sure. Most intelligent people could see him getting fired if he missed the playoffs five years in a row. You need to post it once in a while for the cheerleaders that are oblivious to reality.
Fixed for truth and accuracy
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:57 pm I do not think it will take a 1st but I could be wrong.

He must have some value playing a PK role on a team needing to meet the cap floor. I heard he is fantastic in the dressing room and great around the kids. Trying to put a positive spin on this.
If they could have moved him out with Olaf, Virtanen or Tryamkin they likely would have. Nobody wants 18 million for three years on the cap for a lazy piece of shit to float around. He’s a fourth line player at this point. It will take a hefty sweetener to move the guy. Better to let him come to camp and cut him right off the bat. He won’t like it in Utica riding buses for very long
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

We know you hate GMJB and dream of him getting fired, no need to post it 5 times per day...
See how he avoids the discussion to rant on about his dream of a benningless Canucks. I commented that I felt like the fact that Benning has spent nearly to the cap in producing a team with potential and hope isn’t really a problem and he counters with if they don’t make the playoffs he’s gonners...

That maybe true but you gotta wonder how much does the owner take responsibility? He must have signed off on every move perhaps even nixing a few who knows?

If he wants to turn around and fire Benning and the entire popcorn sales team that’s his prerogative. But it’s not really relevant to the question

Did the Canucks do enough this summer to finally dig themselves out of nearly bottomless pit the last guy left 5 years ago and if not was it the fact that Benning signed Erixsson and Sutter to big contracts?

Sure if they had fewer commitments here and there they might have gone after another free agent but they don’t and they didn’t and so what?

Is Nyquist Moses all of a sudden? Did we really want Subban? I mean if superstar defenseman are what Stanley cup teams are made of, where’s Subban’s rings And why is he on his third team?

Seems to me
Let’s find out what this team is made of and how far can the kids progress instead of worrying about the side show.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:12 pm
See how he avoids the discussion to rant on about his dream of a benningless Canucks. I commented that I felt like the fact that Benning has spent nearly to the cap in producing a team with potential and hope isn’t really a problem and he counters with if they don’t make the playoffs he’s gonners...

I didn’t avoid fuck all. Try to keep up for fuck sakes. I corrected Doc’s party line. I could care less who manages the team. Elmer is in his last year of his contract you dumb shit. He won’t get renewed if he has another season well out of the playoffs. What is it you find difficult to understand?

You countered with a meaningless pile of drivel about spending to the cap and whining about Gillis. As usual you’re out to lunch.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:26 pm Elmer is in his last year you dumb shit.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:35 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:26 pm Elmer is in his last year you dumb shit.
Edited for the tards
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Calm down, Blobberino...

Go outside and enjoy the sun.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!