2019 offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 offseason

Post by dangler »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:39 am
dangler wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:51 am You think it's quiet now??!!
Wait til next year,like diehard says the club has blown their budget,won't be much happening in UFA market for Canucks, not a bad thing though.
We'll all be talking about their playoff success!!
I wouldn’t say that, a lot of prospects will be kicking at the door to get in:

Podkozlin - I predict he bolts the K after 1
Hoglander - if he doesn’t make it this season
Lockwood - a determined kid, Loyal to Van
Woo
Tryamkin - returns, K contract over
Madden - wanted to leave school this year
Juolevi - if not this year
Gadjovich - adjusted to the pro game
Lind - adjusted to the pro game

Trades

Sutter dealt? Gaudette 3rd live centre
Markstrom or Demko dealt?
Tanev dealt?

All kinds of action next summer
Those will all be training camp and tdd, I can't see much UFA action,the money coming off the books will go towards new contracts.
All good though,I think they went a long ways this draft in securing adequate depth for the future.
Tanev getting dealt at tdd will hinge on whether they are poised for the playoffs,Sutter ideally should be dealt now to make way for Gaudette but unlikely to happen until tdd due to last seasons injuries.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:15 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:11 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:41 am It’ll me more interesting next summer when the new GM gets to put his stamp on the team.
“Dream on! dream on! Dream on!” Steven Tyler
It’s not really a dream. Playoffs are a dream for next season and playoffs are what he needs to retain his job.
Your dream won’t come true Mick Mcgeough
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It’s not my dream. It’s reality. No playoffs = no extension
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I predict the Canucks will be making a serious push for the playoffs, they may not sneak in, end up with the 14th’ish lottery pick. Not enough to fire Benning cause treams trajectory and outlook looks just way to good. We keep your much ballyhooed 2020 lottery pick and Benning keeps his job. Then in 2021 we make the playoffs with a great young core and the Lightning get our 20th overall pick but we recoup the 2021 first trading one of Markstrom or Demko prior to expansion draft. Winner, winner chicken dinner
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:41 am It’ll me more interesting next summer when the new GM gets to put his stamp on the team.
We know you hate GMJB and dream of him getting fired, no need to post it 5 times per day...
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

A new GM would probably ship off Eriksson + Virtanen for a couple picks.

Move Baertschi for a pick, to clear the clutter and cap space, while gaining some picks.

And then sign Dzingle.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:29 pm A new GM would probably ship off Eriksson + Virtanen for a couple picks.

Move Baertschi for a pick, to clear the clutter and cap space, while gaining some picks.

And then sign Dzingle.
A new GM might. GMJB might.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:20 pm

We know you hate most of GMJB’s early work and it was atrocious for sure. Most intelligent people could see him getting fired if he missed the playoffs five years in a row. You need to post it once in a while for the cheerleaders that are oblivious to reality
Fixed for truth and accuracy
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

SKYO wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:29 pm A new GM would probably ship off Eriksson + Virtanen for a couple picks.

And then sign Dzingle.
I don't see why your so horny to move Virtanen. He made strides last year, why ship him?? That is kinda silly.

If Jimbro could move Ericksson, Baertschi and Sutter, he probably would.. to think that Jimmy is just sitting around with Fingers up his ass and not doing anything and everything to make the team better is also kinda silly...

So I am guessing nobody wants them.

Kinda like us.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Loui will be tough to move but i would think brandon sutter could be a fairly decent add for a team if we retain a mill or so.

Baertchi wont draw anyones interest at that price
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:45 am I predict the Canucks will be making a serious push for the playoffs, they may not sneak in, end up with the 14th’ish lottery pick. Not enough to fire Benning cause treams trajectory and outlook looks just way to good. We keep your much ballyhooed 2020 lottery pick and Benning keeps his job. Then in 2021 we make the playoffs with a great young core and the Lightning get our 20th overall pick but we recoup the 2021 first trading one of Markstrom or Demko prior to expansion draft. Winner, winner chicken dinner
If that scenario plays out, where we finish 1 point outside the dance and end up with the 14th(ish) pick, then frankly you are right, it is not enough to fire Benning. It is, however, enough to simply not renew him and let him go at the end of his contract.

He has definitely put the team on the right trajectory, and I honestly think it will show bad form on the part of Aquabros if they fire him since they were the ones who held up the rebuild when Elmer took the job. Considering what he has done since it was officially a rebuild the work has been solid and the turnaround pretty decent.

Personally I would give him one more year.....unless Miller and Benn are disasters, and Pearson shits out the bottom like he did in LA and Pittsburgh.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

If Virtanen makes the opening game squad this year, I hope someone tells him, every freakin shift you take dictates your future.
The same can be said of Guatette to a tadl lesser degree.
And not just on this team, but in this league.
If they both kick ass, fat can be cut anon.
But you lads are on the clock now.
"evolution"
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:57 pm

We know you hate most of GMJB’s early work and it was atrocious for sure. Most intelligent people could see him getting fired if he missed the playoffs five years in a row. You need to post it once in a while for the cheerleaders that are oblivious to reality
Seems a few pundits in the media and hockey nuts on you tube agree with you (who are these people and do they all live in their moms basement?)

I’m not sure I do though. Okay yeah, while the team had nothing but bare cupboards left by your man Gillis, the the then new GM Benning had to try to get some help with free agents and possibly over paid one or two in the process (in hindsight.)

However, I don’t see how it’s particularly hurt the team here and now. They needed a couple of D and a forward and they went and got them and now they are near the cap. So what?

They are allowed to be at the cap. They have a team that is about as good as it’s going to get at this point and any free agents left out there may or may not be any better.

So lets have at her and see what we got after 80 games.

Chances are pretty good that the team will be better than the pundits predict and definitely better than you will admit.

See ya in the playoffs!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:18 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:57 pm

Seems a few pundits in the media and hockey nuts on you tube agree with you (who are these people and do they all live in their moms basement?)

I’m not sure I do though. Okay yeah, while the team had nothing but bare cupboards left by your man Gillis, the the then new GM Benning had to try to get some help with free agents and possibly over paid one or two in the process (in hindsight.)

However, I don’t see how it’s particularly hurt the team here and now. They needed a couple of D and a forward and they went and got them and now they are near the cap. So what?

They are allowed to be at the cap. They have a team that is about as good as it’s going to get at this point and any free agents left out there may or may not be any better.

So lets have at her and see what we got after 80 games.

Chances are pretty good that the team will be better than the pundits predict and definitely better than you will admit.

See ya in the playoffs!
Great story. Will read again. Bottom line is Elmer is going to need a serious improvement in performance from the team (like say going from 81 points to 95) to retain his gig. He’s heading into year six with a real good chance of missing playoffs for the fifth consecutive year. It’s got fuck all to do with Gillis anymore. GM’s don’t get forever to build teams, they need to show on ice results. Not sure why this is so difficult to comprehend.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob is right in some respects. A fifth straight year with no playoff revenue won’t be a good look for Benning. But it’s going to be how far off the mark they are that makes the difference I think. It won’t be black and white; playoffs=extension, missing =no new deal.

A strong season with a competitive team not looking outclassed is one thing. A team that looks outclassed, outworked and no heart, well that’s a recipe for hiring a new GM.

Benning has one card to play. The Trevor Linden card. Rightly or wrongly he can default to, well Trevor and I saw the first few years differently and I’ve only had a season or two to really put my stamp on the team. And he will subtly play that card. In fact the narrative is already oozing out in drabs and dribbles. Not saying I agree or disagree.

Benning’s drafting we know has been superior to any other GM we have had and it’s starting to show in spades. Next season we will graduate a few more and the next year could be a bonanza of players ready for the pro game. My point, the future looks strong. If this season brings back an enthusiastic fan base, if the hockey is fun to watch, if the young core begins to lead more, if we are competitive in most games, if we stay relevant and in the playoff race until the end, well Benning will be back.

But if it all looks to be an illusion and we take backward steps then ya, Benning is done.
The only HW the Canucks need