Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
micky107
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9852
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by micky107 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:35 am

.
Everything, "including the kitchen sink",on all transactions in the NHL, to date; mark.

https://www.nhl.com/news/2019-20-nhl-trades/c-289968698
.
.Image..
Last edited by micky107 on Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
"evolution"

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2513
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:48 am

Meds wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:35 am
Schenn >> Biega.

Send Biega to Utica.
Maybe, but JB & his staff clearly did not feel that way. Schenn brings the size and muscle u like on your defence, but BullDawg has much better mobility and actually contributed on the scoresheet last season. 16 pts in 41 games is very good production for a guy they thought was expendable @ the beginning of the year. He has done everything asked of him in the organization, never complained and worked hard for everything he got. Unless the other player is a clear cut upgrade over BulldDawg, u gotta reward and show loyalty to the boy who has gone to battle for u.

BullDawg reminds me a bit of another undersized D-man and former Canuck Mike Weaver. His size always worked against him, but after he left here, he carved a nice NHL career for himself. He had a great work ethic, was a shot blocking machine if I remember correctly and as a result he became a much sought after commodity. Every team needs a Rudy. :P

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15208
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:06 am

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:48 am
Meds wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:35 am
Schenn >> Biega.

Send Biega to Utica.
Maybe, but JB & his staff clearly did not feel that way. Schenn brings the size and muscle u like on your defence, but BullDawg has much better mobility and actually contributed on the scoresheet last season. 16 pts in 41 games is very good production for a guy they thought was expendable @ the beginning of the year. He has done everything asked of him in the organization, never complained and worked hard for everything he got. Unless the other player is a clear cut upgrade over BulldDawg, u gotta reward and show loyalty to the boy who has gone to battle for u.

BullDawg reminds me a bit of another undersized D-man and former Canuck Mike Weaver. His size always worked against him, but after he left here, he carved a nice NHL career for himself. He had a great work ethic, was a shot blocking machine if I remember correctly and as a result he became a much sought after commodity. Every team needs a Rudy. :P
Hughes replaces Hutton, Benn replaces Schenn. Poopalot can go to hell.

I liked what Schenn brought and I liked he rode shotgun for 6 games or so for Hughes but I’d rather have Benn there. Benn can play both sides and play up if he needs to for short stretches. Biega is one of my favourites just because he plays big, doesn’t whine but he is limited. If he is an everyday regular we are a sad sack.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
micky107
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9852
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by micky107 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:33 am

Per wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:56 am

Completely bizarre.

Lehner, who won Jennings and Masterton this year and was nominated for Vezina, wanted to stay with the Islanders, and was willing to discuss term and amount, but then found out they had already decided to sign Varlamov, so agreed to a one year deal with Chicago instead.

So, you have a goalie who has definitely had some warts (bipolar and substance abuse issues), but is now on the wagon and taking his meds and as a result has had his best season ever, winning two individual awards and being nominated for a third, and you decide "nah, I like the Avalanche's goal tending better..." :crazy:

There is no question in my mind that Lehner is the better goalie of the two, and he would almost certainly have agreed to whatever they gave Varlamov. He knows he arrived in the organisation as damaged goods. They took a chance on him, helped him with rehab et al, he now plays the best hockey he ever has, he was grateful and wanted to stay. I'm sure he'd agreed to a reasonable offer. Really blows my mind.
Per; Here's a link. It really doesn't explain the situation very well but it seems to hint towards future money.
I personally think your right. It was/is, a wonderful story and it's pissy he couldn't stay.
"evolution"

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 4817
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by Per » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:54 am

micky107 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:33 am
Per wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:56 am

Completely bizarre.

Lehner, who won Jennings and Masterton this year and was nominated for Vezina, wanted to stay with the Islanders, and was willing to discuss term and amount, but then found out they had already decided to sign Varlamov, so agreed to a one year deal with Chicago instead.

So, you have a goalie who has definitely had some warts (bipolar and substance abuse issues), but is now on the wagon and taking his meds and as a result has had his best season ever, winning two individual awards and being nominated for a third, and you decide "nah, I like the Avalanche's goal tending better..." :crazy:

There is no question in my mind that Lehner is the better goalie of the two, and he would almost certainly have agreed to whatever they gave Varlamov. He knows he arrived in the organisation as damaged goods. They took a chance on him, helped him with rehab et al, he now plays the best hockey he ever has, he was grateful and wanted to stay. I'm sure he'd agreed to a reasonable offer. Really blows my mind.
Per; Here's a link. It really doesn't explain the situation very well but it seems to hint towards future money.
I personally think your right. It was/is, a wonderful story and it's pissy he couldn't stay.
Don't see no link :eh:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
micky107
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9852
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by micky107 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:54 am

Per wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:54 am
Don't see no link :eh:
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1793497/ it's not the one I found last night
There are multiple sites blocked all over the place this morning????
"evolution"

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11012
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by SKYO » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:46 pm

Wonder what's wrong with this guy? who is a UFA.
Andrew Poturalski claimed the Jack A. Butterfield Trophy as the most valuable player of the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs.

Poturalski scored two goals in Game 5 on Saturday in a 5-3 win over the Chicago Wolves to give the Charlotte Checkers a championship for the first time. He led all skaters with 12 goals, 23 points and a plus-15 rating in 18 postseason games.
5'11 - 189lbs - Andrew Poturalski - NY native, 25 years old, could be a late bloomer or is he slow as molasses, could be like Reid Boucher.
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/player/15951

Just looking at el cheapo options from the AHL.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 22219
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by Strangelove » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:04 pm

micky107 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:54 am
Per wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:54 am
Don't see no link :eh:
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1793497/ it's not the one I found last night
There are multiple sites blocked all over the place this morning????
I read Islanders offered Lehner a 2-year deal at $5M-per.

When he (agent) didn't get back to them after 2 days they moved on.

Of course eventually Isles signed Varly for $5M x 4, and Hawks signed Lehner for $5M x 1.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
micky107
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9852
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by micky107 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:18 pm

Per; Here's the one I found last Night. It's working again now but it is sticky.
It mentions what he went through and Lou trying to make it sound a little different.
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/isl ... ner-070219
"evolution"

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 22219
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by Strangelove » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:56 pm

micky107 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:18 pm
Per; Here's the one I found last Night. It's working again now but it is sticky.
It mentions what he went through and Lou trying to make it sound a little different.
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/isl ... ner-070219
Wrong link Mick.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
micky107
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9852
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by micky107 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:17 pm

Lehner had a sensational comeback season after signing with the Islanders last summer. He publicly disclosed he was dealing with several issues, including panic attacks treatment for alcohol and drug addiction, and was also diagnosed with bipolar disorder, ADHD and PTSD. He talked openly about his personal life and credited the organization and his teammates with giving him suppor
"evolution"

User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3369
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by Madcombinepilot » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:23 pm

micky107 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:17 pm
Lehner had a sensational comeback season after signing with the Islanders last summer. He publicly disclosed he was dealing with several issues, including panic attacks treatment for alcohol and drug addiction, and was also diagnosed with bipolar disorder, ADHD and PTSD. He talked openly about his personal life and credited the organization and his teammates with giving him suppor
Isn't that the regular diagnosis for goalies?!?? I thought they were all headfucked
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

User avatar
rikster
MVP
MVP
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:41 am

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by rikster » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:27 am

I do think there will be some changes to a few things in the next CBA - escrow, buyouts and signing bonuses will be the major items for the league and NHLPA to fight over. I’d be fine with some sort of release valve for teams with 1 buyout a year permitted but I’m not sure Bettman would. It would be smart of the league to give something relatively minor like this as a bone players but he’s never been the most logical negotiator.
As much as I have been on a bit of a rant over the need to change the buyout rules, didn't realize how much dead money is in the system...

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ ... s.2663511/

The league should be ashamed of itself over the Luongo re capture penalty and the NHLPA has been silent over the issue which is surprising...

Not because "rules are rules" when its convenient to use "rules are rules" as an excuse for a poor decision, but because it further clogs the system with dead money that would otherwise go back into the system in the form of players salaries...

Take care...

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 15822
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:31 am

The curious of case of Dzingel and Ferland? Are they simply asking for too much?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:56 am

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by Cherry Picker » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:49 am

Hopefully their price is dropping dramatically, Boeser gets signed, and Benning has just enough to add one of these two on a short term contract. These are the last two UFAs that I have any interest in. One of these might be okay on the second line, but it is highly unlikely the Canucks have enough cash to add either.
We are all Jim Benning.

Post Reply