Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:50 pm Is there any chance he comes back and floats through another season? Benning mumbled something about penalty killing...i can see it happening
I guess it's possible, but too much bridge under the water now as Gino would say.

My bet is Jimmy finds a way to dump Loui this summer.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:50 pm Is there any chance he comes back and floats through another season? Benning mumbled something about penalty killing...i can see it happening
Ya, I commented here somewhere recently about that penalty killing role JB mentioned.
I said I thought it could be a dig in retaliation for Loui's earlier "problem with his role" comments.

In retrospect it was no doubt a strategically inserted comment with a very intended effect.
"You won't talk to me?" Then I'll talk to you on a playing field your ears cannot escape.
"evolution"
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:19 pm
I doubt the NHL would allow Loui to keep his bonus money if he retires.

Such a thing has never happened and I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the CBA that covers it.

The NFL went through this with Barry Sanders when he retired in 1999.

It had never happened in the NFL and nothing in the CBA.

In the end NFL saw to it that Sanders returned the signing bonus.
If I am the Canucks, I would encourage Loui to retire, and keep the money. The Canucks can afford the $$, but we want our cap space back.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:46 pm
ESQ wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:43 pm I was reading the cba today, learning that Doc was correct about cap recapture only applying to old-CBA contracts, and I can tell you the CBA does cover cap hits from retirements, even mid-season.

Now, what the CBA actually says, I couldn't tell you with any certainty. But it's in there!
Yeah mid-season retirements definitely result in partial cap hits, see my post above.

But summer retirements cancel the cap hit for the next season(s) completely.

(I remember this happening with the Leaves Marchenko a coupla years ago)

But again, a summer retirement after taking the signing bonus has never happened before

... so we can only guess as to the result.
My thinking is, if a mid-season retirement let's the player keep that portion of his salary earned, and be a partial cap hit, a mid-summer retirement should let the player keep his salary earned (in this case, the bonus), for a partial cap hit.

It's not quite on-point with Berglund's termination, because Berglund didn't have bonuses. However, his actual salary was $4.7 million, with a $3.85 mil cap hit. He retired in December, his cap hit was $1.5, even though his take-home pay was more like $2.2 million. I don't believe there was any talk of him re-paying his salary, even though he was paid more than his retirement cap hit.

Not entirely comparable, but it makes me feel better :mrgreen:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:35 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:27 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:03 pm Wpuld you trade virtanen for ferkland?

If so attach jake to an eriksson trade and sign the injun
Now that the Sens have Zaitsev, Loui + rights to Tryamkin for a 4th?
I pull that trigger for sure. For all his potential theres equally as worrying concerns. If it took loui out of the equation jb could finish off the picasso.
How about we bless the Sens with both the Ruskie comrades to play with Comrade Zaitsev?

Loui + Tree + Goldie... for a 4th.

Would Ottawa do this if they were allowed to talk to Tree and he said he'd come over?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Its going to take something along those lines to move Loui. Might have to demote him and eat his hit for one more year then try again next summer
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:17 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:35 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:27 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:03 pm Wpuld you trade virtanen for ferkland?

If so attach jake to an eriksson trade and sign the injun
Now that the Sens have Zaitsev, Loui + rights to Tryamkin for a 4th?
I pull that trigger for sure. For all his potential theres equally as worrying concerns. If it took loui out of the equation jb could finish off the picasso.
How about we bless the Sens with both the Ruskie comrades to play with Comrade Zaitsev?

Loui + Tree + Goldie... for a 4th.

Would Ottawa do this if they were allowed to talk to Tree and he said he'd come over?
You have been going on and on about how Tree is coming back and will shore up our blueline. Now you want to sell him on the cheap just to move Loui?

Hmmm.....interesting.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Bruins fansided writers trying to figure out to trade Backes with sweeteners.

https://causewaycrowd.com/2019/07/08/bo ... kes-trade/
What is the price the Boston Bruins must pay to rid themselves of the David Backes contract? It’s not going to be a case of simply finding an overly friendly General Manager, it’s going to mean losing assets beyond just Backes to ensure a deal, that we’re all but certain about. But what assets?

Picks or prospects or retained salary.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Loui Eriksson is the prime example of why players being traded should have their cap hits restructured based on remaining money divided by original term.

Loui Eriksson - original contract $36 mil over 6 years = $6mil per year
Remaining: $9 mil over original 6 years: $1.5mil per year

So the team acquiring him would only be on the hook for 1.5 mil cap hit, but still have to pay him out his full $9 mil.

Allow each team to have maximum one of these contracts on their books per year and to make it even easier, the trade has to be made in the off season so salaries / cap hits are easier to calculate/manage.

Imagine all the moves that would be made and the premiums that would be paid.

Penguins could trade Malkin to a team freeing up 9.5 off their books and the team acquiring him would only have a 3.5 mil cap hit.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

GMs have to learn. Unfortunately it seems most never do. Benning was blindly foolish signing Ericksson. He was foolish to chase Lucic. Most people said so at the time. Did he learn? I think he did. It should be hard for him to get out from under Ericksson’s contract. It should be excruciating for him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The big name 2016 UFA’s have all been shit shows. Not just LE
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Fucking Sedins should have let Jimmy trade them for the good of the team...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:48 pm GMs have to learn. Unfortunately it seems most never do. Benning was blindly foolish signing Ericksson. He was foolish to chase Lucic. Most people said so at the time. Did he learn? I think he did. It should be hard for him to get out from under Ericksson’s contract. It should be excruciating for him.
He didn’t learn in 2017 or 2018 but this years signings weren’t too bad.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:56 pm ... this years signings weren’t too bad.
Benning bag licker. :scowl:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jimmy walked in to a disaster - Gillis, Aqualini, Sedins, the crybaby media and fans of this city. A no win situation
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau