The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by 2Fingers »

isle_nuck wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:58 pm
The other IN post
Had to look a couple of those players up.

Another item is dealing with short term injuries and you need to pay for 2 players with 1 sitting on sideline. I guess you could just play the game minus 1 guy, teams have done it in the past.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

isle_nuck wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:58 pm
BigTuna wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:31 pm
isle_nuck wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:09 pm
BigTuna wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:30 am
micky107 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:54 pm
BigTuna wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:29 pm Big acquisition for the playoffs. Nice cap hit and signed through next season.
D got better without moving Nylander, Kapanen, Sandin. Liljegren.
It's a decent trade for your team, Tuna. Your D gets better.
You will have to move at least one, maybe two players you don't want to before next year though.
The cap is going up but not enough to cover your collection.
Team discounts are more of an illusion then a reality and cups can't be guaranteed.
Toronto will keep everyone except Gardiner. All RFAs will be signed. Book it.
Tampa and Winnipeg have bigger cap issues.
Book it? Be better Tuna. Show your work.

Maybe something like the attached?

So, how exactly does your book describe how all the RFA's are going to come back? If you try to get rid of players, how do you get rid of Zaitsev? Or Marleau? Or do you actually think M&M sign for less than 21 million combined?

You take a lot of deserved shit on this board - maybe if you could actually provide some actual substance once in a while you'd only be up to your knees in the brown stuff rather than your neck.

Amazing that researcher forgot that Horton is counting against the cap and can be put on LTIR, freeing 5.3 million. He counted Horton next season.
Also, 2 players who will be on the roster will be 750K cap hits, Calle Rosen and Trevor Moore. Contracts are already signed.

Trade Connor Brown, insert Trevor Moore, you are better and save 1.5 million alone.

I had to laugh at the "Toronto Cap Is Worse Than A Lot of Fans Think". Jesus, all I ever hear is the Leaves are in cap hell daily. Winnipeg and Tampa are in big trouble, but are left alone.

Next time you a legit source, not some wackjob with an agenda.
Ok Tuna, last time I looked in the mirror I didn't see a wackjob with an agenda, so I decided to repeat the experiment myself, show my work (which I believe is what both Doc and I have asked you to do in just the last hour or so alone) and see what I could find for your beloved in 2019.

Since I don't have an agenda and I truly am just interested in seeing how the Leaves aren't in cap hell next year, I traded both Horton (who was in fact gone on the last post) and Zaitsev off for a pick just for sake of clearing them out.

I did as you suggested and added Rosen and Moore to the roster. I left Rosen on his left side as suggested by capfriendly. I don't really know if CF is correct in his placement or if he can slide over to his right side, but we all know how Babcock just loves to makes those kind of adjustments, so I just left him there.

I also raided the Marlies for Bracco, Liljegren and Scott to add in some more cheap, warm bodies, but didn't want to dip too much deeper as if you're looking for a Stanley Cup, I don't know if integrating more than 5 AHL players is the best call. But hey, to each their own if you want more than that.

So, after that I didn't want to dream cast too much more and stopped. There's $9.5 in cap space left according to CF. But, there's also 2 missing forwards and no back up on either the forwards or defence giving the experiment 18 players. I realize that with the Marlies in town the Leaves might not always have 22 or 23 guys on the roster, so that could give a bit of a buffer zone, but at this point, I would guess there's 3 players that need to be signed taking them to 21 players.

Finding three guys at about 3 million each shouldn't be too tough I guess. Maybe you get Kapanen, Johnsson and Ozhiganov at that combined 9mil. But are you ok with that kind of roster if there's Stanley Cup aspirations? 5 AHLers and absolutely no depth anywhere, including at goalie. What happens if the Leaves are on a road trip and they decided to carry a 22nd (or 23rd) player?

What would you do differently from what I did? Assuming that Horton just disappears, how would you actually get rid of Zaitsev? Knowing how Babcock likes to coach, how do you deal with Rosen on his wrong side? Any dream UFA's? What if the three RFAs I mentioned get more than 9 combined? Be realistic because you know that there are a few fact checkers on this site.
Again, his numbers did not have Horton on LTIR. leaves will have 28 million.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:08 pm Again, his numbers did not have Horton on LTIR.
Again, WRONG.

Next season the Leaves will be as fucked as a whore at closing time and you know it.
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:24 pm
BigTuna wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:08 pm Again, his numbers did not have Horton on LTIR.
Again, WRONG.

Next season the Leaves will be as fucked as a whore at closing time and you know it.
On the radio today they were discussing the Laughs and said this is the year they have to go all in because next season they are going to run into cap trouble. A big topic was Mathews and Marner contract and that both will be close and ~$11M each.

The Laughs can do it but the 4th line will be scrubs all making $1M or (I wish I was an NHL SCRUB :cry: ) less and the back up will be in the same boat. This is typical of many teams but those teams are not headline news on the "national" cough cough Toronto media every freaking day. So when the Laughs crash, and they will, I will just love listening to the crying all the way from beautiful Vancouver.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:55 pm
BigTuna wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:29 pm Big acquisition for the playoffs. Nice cap hit and signed through next season.
D got better without moving Nylander, Kapanen, Sandin. Liljegren.
Liljegren is flailing away, down down down he goes...
Today from FriedMan:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31- ... e-dominos/
I was initially surprised that Timothy Liljegren wasn’t included. But, after looking deeper, teams are down on Liljegren right now. He’s not yet 20

— way too soon to give up —

but several scouts were not surprised the Kings chose OHL Guelph’s Sean Durzi over Liljegren.
Seems like the Kings took Leaves best forward prospect, best dee prospect, and a mid-first-round pick

... for a #3 dman who will be 30 in three weeks.

Blake bent Dumbass over a barrel and showed him the 50 states!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah not hearing good things on Liljegren. Remember when him Nolan Patrick were supposed to go 1 and 2 at one point leading up to the draft. It’s always not s good sign when a player falls that far
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Twas a good deal for both teams. leaves got a top pairing guy although a lefty. Someone will have to play their offside. Players do it and have done it for years. Kings get a late first and a couple good prospects.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Muzzin is overrated

Doughty made him look good
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:47 pm Muzzin is overrated

Doughty made him look good
I think he’s a good solid player. For sure Doughty elevated him but he’s a good player in his own right. I’d put him on a level with Edler or Tanev. He’s on a good contract too.

Don’t get me wrong Toronto still needs another top 4 D man
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Marner is going to be offersheeted, leaves are going into cap hell.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-tr ... rs~1600605

The smart move for Dubas would be to move Nylander now for a top 4 right side dman + a young affordable winger.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

They should trade marner and matthews then build around nylander
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:21 pm They should trade marner and matthews then build around nylander
Well, I think it's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWxh9lGOeqQ

:lol:
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:37 pm Marner is going to be offersheeted, Leaves are going into cap hell.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-tr ... rs~1600605

The smart move for Dubas would be to move Nylander now for a top 4 right side dman + a young affordable winger.
Nylander and Zaitsev just to make room. LOL!

CF, even with Horton on LTIR puts the Leaves at $82.912M next season. That's with Matthews and Marner on matching $10M contracts (no guarantee they don't want more), a 4th line that will get 5 minutes per game, and Sparks back behind Andersen with a $400K raise. It also includes 2 AHL level D men.

Did I mention that brings them to a total of 18 skaters and 2 goalies? LMAO!

One other point, both Marner and Matthews are out producing Tavares in a big way. There's no reason that their agents should settle for less than what JT is making. Even on a bridge deal, I can see them both asking for $11M, and while Dubas dicks around in the weeds trying to negotiate, the Islanders will step up and offer sheet Marner at $12M, and Arizona will do the same for Matthews at $12M.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

One thing should have happened not signed Tavares or signed Tavares and traded NILander for picks and prospects

Marner will get offer sheeted. The GMs know Dubas is screwed. Love it!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:55 pm
BigTuna wrote:All you Canuck fans if given a choice would pick Matthews. You're not going to build your team around a one-dimensional winger who is poor 5 on 5.
Fuck that shit, I'd take Laine any day of the week ahead of Matthews, but bottom line,'of the Calder rookie candidates, give me Werenski ahead of Laine and that overrated bum - Matthews
:lol: