The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:18 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:13 pm
BigTuna wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:07 pm blah blah blah
I fully agree
:hmmm:
Diehard1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:45 pm I lived in Toronto

It's all starting to make sense now...

Thanks for the laugh. :lol:

I assume you’ve never lived anywhere other than the lower mainland or perhaps BC? I’d highly recommend trying somewhere else, changes your perspective on shit!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:30 pm I assume you’ve never lived anywhere other than the lower mainland or perhaps BC?
Wrong.

Diehard1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:30 pm I’d highly recommend trying somewhere else, changes your perspective on shit!
Well there's good changes on perspective and there's bad changes on perspective.

Can you guess which one Pigtown gives you? :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I don’t understand why Toronto is the most populous city in Canada. I just don’t get it.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:41 pm I don’t understand why Toronto is the most populous city in Canada. I just don’t get it.
Think flies to shit. Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Diehard1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:30 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:18 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:13 pm
BigTuna wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:07 pm blah blah blah
I fully agree
:hmmm:
Diehard1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:45 pm I lived in Toronto

It's all starting to make sense now...

Thanks for the laugh. :lol:

I assume you’ve never lived anywhere other than the lower mainland or perhaps BC? I’d highly recommend trying somewhere else, changes your perspective on shit!
We don’t consider Chilliwack to be part of the lower mainland.

And Doc got all kinds of training all over the province to get where he’s got with McDonald’s
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:41 pm I don’t understand why Toronto is the most populous city in Canada. I just don’t get it.
More people generally live in the financial capital in any country
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Mëds wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:58 pm
BigTuna wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:07 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:32 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:23 pm UDL, Doc....

Could be. I would certainly enjoy that if it comes to pass.

Up front, in terms of value, Sakic took a top pairing defenseman and his #1 PPQB, and packaged him with a young 40-50 point center (with a bit more upside left in him possibly.....though I doubt it happens in TO for him lol) and sent him to Toronto for a 25 year old AHL left Dman who might see NHL action, or might not, and the NHL's problem child of the year award winner.....he also retained half of Barrie's salary.

Not a great trade now.

But could be a seen as a great move at this time next year.
Theres no way he gets this fleeced unless he knows something. Given the rumours I'd guess its a good bet its barrie letting his intentions be known.
I swear i read somewhere barrie saying he is wanting to come to vancouver...cant find it now.
So...Tanev out Barrie in next summer :thumbs:
15 million for Myers and Barrie. LOL
You guys don't understand the cap do you? 11 milion for Tavres-Good. 7 million for a supporting talent=-bad.

Remember when you guys thought Lou was so much better than Dubas? Lou has comitted almost 20 million to Lee, Eberle and Nelson. Jesus.

Identify 5-6 core pieces and pay them. Fill-out your roster with replaceable talent. I can tell you right now Muzzin isn't being signed by the Leaves. Not a true core piece and he's aging. JVR I said 2 years before he was UFA Toronto would have no interest in keeping him. Philly is paying 14.65 per for JVR and Hayes. HAHAHA.

Leaves invest their $$$ in stars.
Tavares: $11M
Matthews: $11.6M
Nylander: $7M
Reilly: $5M (under paid by at least $2M currently)
Andersen: $5M

That's roughly 50% of the cap on 5 guys. You need 18 more players.

Oh and if you sign Marner, he will get at least the same as Matthews now after Panarin's signing.

So that's $51M and you don't even have a complete top defense pairing.

Nylander is a guy who fits in your column of a support player. He's like Eberle, who with the exception of 2 seasons has been a 60 point winger. Eberle just signed for $1.5M less than Nylander btw. Lee and Nelson are much the same, but definitely overpaid.....but oddly enough they are still in the Nylander range of salary albeit for 15 points less. But still.....support guys.
I love how you use a UFA example and ignore the disaster of the Aho offersheet at 8.5 for Marner. Marner will never get 3 million+ more than Aho. It just won't happen. Book it.

Rantanen, Point, and Marner are not exceeding 10.

A freaking centre with similar stats as Marner got 8.5 for an offersheet and he signed it.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:22 pm
BigTuna wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:17 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:13 pm Never mind his intentions, Leaves can't afford Barrie in a year.

They will have a tough enough time trying to re-sign Muzzin + Dermott.

I see a lot of the hockey pundits referring to this trade as a one year rental.
You thought they couldn't afford Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares. You always say this and are always wrong.
Never said that.

But I implied the sacrifices needed to fit them all under the cap would ruin them.

And yup. :D

You said they'd never have to/never would trade Nazi.

BigTuna wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:17 pm "Hockey Pundits" said all Leaf RFAs were getting offersheets. What do they know?
They said an RFA or two around the league would be offer-sheeted.

You said there would be no offer sheets.

They were right and you were wrong.
They said Mitch Marner was getting an offersheet. last week Dreger claimaed multiple in the 13-14 per year for him. So they only mention Marner and when Aho gets one they are right?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BigTuna wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:17 am I love how you use a UFA example and ignore the disaster of the Aho offersheet at 8.5 for Marner. Marner will never get 3 million+ more than Aho. It just won't happen. Book it.

Rantanen, Point, and Marner are not exceeding 10.

A freaking centre with similar stats as Marner got 8.5 for an offersheet and he signed it.
The disaster of the Aho offersheet? I'm not sure I follow how that was a disaster. Maybe because Carolina matched? The Hurricanes are notoriously a budget team, and Aho probably felt that there was no way Carolina would come to the table with that much in hand unless he forced that hand. Did you see the structure of that contract? $38.6M in annual signing bonuses with only $750K in salary. He gets paid huge up front. The reason it wasn't higher is because Bergeron was banking on Carolina not being willing to pony up the cash value in bonuses.

Aho signed an offer sheet that would have made him the highest paid forward in Montreal and/or Carolina history.

Marner is the leading scorer in Toronto for the last 2 seasons. He got screwed over in bonuses by Lou and Shanahan when he inked his ELC. Now he's led the team for 2 seasons and you think him or his agent are going to ignore the fact that Dubas signed Matthews first and gave him more than Tavares? You think they aren't going to point to Panarin's contract and say, "Hey Dubas, Mitch scored more than the Bread Man last year."

Is that what you think? But even if Marner only takes $10M, it won't include any UFA years, and it will still lock up $50M in salary and leave you without a full top pair on the blueline.

But hey, if the Leaves don't come to the table with at least $10.5M, then Marner should send his agent out looking for an offer sheet for that much (if he isn't already) because anything below $10.56M means Toronto only gets 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd. That's not exactly gonna satisfy people if the Leaves don't match.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Aho got 8.5 on an offersheet and Mitch desrves 3 million more minimum is what you are saying? Apparently you are not patying attention to why players get what they do. Mitch is a 26 goal scorer. That's not enough to be paid like 2 elite centres.

His comparable is Aho, Rantanen. Not a veteran goal scoring UFA like Tavares.

Mitch should be happy if he gets 9.5. You think the leaves will just hand over 12 million per to him because of the lame Matthews argument?

And I think Mitch and his agent need to leave the fantasy offersheet thing and move into reality. They got Dreger to use scare tactics and it did not work. No one is ever giving up 4 1st rounders for Mitch Marner. Book it.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is Toronto now considered Team Tiny trading their only grit in Kadri for Barrie?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:41 am Is Toronto now considered Team Tiny trading their only grit in Kadri for Barrie?
Team tiny is going to skate through legs like geniuses through trees
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:44 am
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:41 am Is Toronto now considered Team Tiny trading their only grit in Kadri for Barrie?
Team tiny is going to skate through legs like geniuses through trees
Marner, Barrie, Kapanen, Nylander, Dermott, etc all dipsy doodling all over the ice like the Harlem globetrotters meets the ice capades that is until they fly into Bean Town for a game
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Tavares turns 29 in September. Great year. But for how much longer?
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

micky107 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:58 am Tavares turns 29 in September. Great year. But for how much longer?
Tavares isn’t a winner, his old team sucked until he left town, then they became good