How did Jimmy do

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

How did GMJB do on day 1 of FA

A
19%
B+
38%
B
38%
C
No votes
D
4%
Fail
No votes

Total votes: 26

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: How did Jimmy do

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:28 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:13 am
Mëds wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:47 am I was actually worried Benn was going to get $3M per. $2M isn't bad, although I'm not sure how $2M for Benn is much better than $700K for Schenn.....
There are a few here who think Benn is a special player cause of his last name.
This is exceptionally rich coming from the guy who defends the player with "SUTTER" on his name bar.
No shit :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:38 am
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:35 am That was the rumoured price for Barrie, who is a UFA next summer. Benning got wise to ole Joe Sakic Way. Benning took the next left to get to Burnaby 8 Rinks and stopped at the Myer hot dog stand on the way
And yet he was traded for substantially less. Did you hear this rumour while stumbling around the DTES on a cocaine fuelled bender?
Called a desparation trade, everyone laughed off Joes initial price tag, Benning included, when he saw everyone making deals elsewhere he panicked, that being said - Kadri is a good player, I’d take him on my team anyday
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:49 am
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:35 am That was the rumoured price for Barrie, who is a UFA next summer. Benning got wise to ole Joe Sakic Way. Benning took the next left to get to Burnaby 8 Rinks and stopped at the Myer hot dog stand on the way
And yet he was traded for substantially less. Did you hear this rumour while stumbling around the DTES on a cocaine fuelled bender?
Called a desparation trade, everyone laughed off Joes initial price tag, Benning included, when he saw everyone making deals elsewhere he panicked, that being said - Kadri is a good player, I’d take him on my team anyday
Quite a story right there.

So how do you feel about Benning’s comments that the trade prices will come down after the draft? But then he pays a massive premium for JT Miller at the draft...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:53 am

So how do you feel about Benning’s comments that the trade prices will come down after the draft? But then he pays a massive premium for JT Miller at the draft...
You’re forgetting something very important - JT Miller is a very good player, only 26 with 4 years left on a good contract. Big, fast, gritty and skilled and can play in all situations

Not to mention - the 2020 first is lottery protected
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

So you have no comment on the GM’s comments?
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

So how do you feel about Benning’s comments that the trade prices will come down after the draft? But then he pays a massive premium for JT Miller at that player.
Benning is just staying true to his M.O.: he targets a certain player and does whatever he thinks it will take to get that player. He’s never come off as the wily type who swindles his peers and keeps an ace up his sleeve. Problem is I believe his peers know it. Instead of Vancouver having a smug heel for a GM reviled by his peers and the league, we have a straightforward rube who barely registers sympathy from his peers and the league. We’ll see who we get when Benning eventually gets replaced. He may reach the credibility of David Poile if he stays employed long enough in Vancouver.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Lancer wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:21 am

So how do you feel about Benning’s comments that the trade prices will come down after the draft? But then he pays a massive premium for JT Miller at that player.
Benning is just staying true to his M.O.: he targets a certain player and does whatever he thinks it will take to get that player. He’s never come off as the wily type who swindles his peers and keeps an ace up his sleeve. Problem is I believe his peers know it. Instead of Vancouver having a smug heel for a GM reviled by his peers and the league, we have a straightforward rube who barely registers sympathy from his peers and the league. We’ll see who we get when Benning eventually gets replaced. He may reach the credibility of David Poile if he stays employed long enough in Vancouver.
Hmm. I think you're onto something there. Jimmys team is also becoming a destination for some of the free agents and i would suspect its partly due to him being a more trustworthy type of dude.

Going for the David Poile nice guy image isnt a bad thing
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:50 am
Hmm. I think you're onto something there. Jimmys team is also becoming a destination for some of the free agents and i would suspect its partly due to him being a more trustworthy type of dude.
Add in a young core with a shitload of talent, Vancouver should be a destination.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The last three debuts of potential super star youngsters has no doubt bolstered Van's rep a wee bit too.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Interesting read about Doc's legit new top-4 guy.....

Tyler Myers isn’t as bad as a lot of folks make him out to be — he can have moments of brilliance where his skillset and 6-foot-8 frame are a tantalizing combination that you can’t blame general managers for falling in love with. But last season in Winnipeg he was, for the most part, a third-pairing defenceman at even strength, and even with easier minutes than normal the Jets weren’t very good when he took the ice.

This has been a consistent thing for Myers ever since his excellent rookie season in 2009-10, and when you crunch all the numbers together he’s a decent No. 4 or 5 defenceman in terms of performance.

That is still a valued asset on a lot of teams, but not for the $6 million price tag, and he’s certainly not the type of player you give this much term to. If there is one easy-to-follow golden rule for managing a salary cap in the NHL, it’s to not give replaceable talents more than league average cap hits, and never give term. That means no matter how much you love your fourth-line centre, you have to remember that’s a position you can afford to change out every year if you have to. There are dozens of good fourth-line players plying their trades in the American Hockey League every year praying for a chance at the NHL.

Myers is above the equivalent of a fourth liner for defencemen, but not by that much, and the Canucks have paid him like a strong No. 2.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/tru ... given-far/

I disagree with the bold text. In today's market I feel like they have paid him like an average No. 2 or an elite No. 3. But nonetheless.....not ideal perhaps.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Doc also called Erik Gudbranson a legit top 4 d man.

Myers has consistently been over 20 minutes for pretty much all of his career. He was behind Byfuglien and Trouba who are better players. Here only Tanev is a better RH d man. And who knows how long Tanev will remain in Vancouver. Vancouver needed d men in the worst way. He will fill a hole here and be an improvement over the clowns they’ve been trotting out the past five years. He will be a bit of a lightning rod for criticism due to his defensive play and lack of physicality. But he moves the puck well and has a good shot. I understand the signing but this player isn’t going to all of a sudden become an Alex Pietrangelo or a John Carlson.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:09 am Doc also called Erik Gudbranson a legit top 4 d man.

Myers has consistently been over 20 minutes for pretty much all of his career. He was behind Byfuglien and Trouba who are better players. Here only Tanev is a better RH d man. And who knows how long Tanev will remain in Vancouver. Vancouver needed d men in the worst way. He will fill a hole here and be an improvement over the clowns they’ve been trotting out the past five years. He will be a bit of a lightning rod for criticism due to his defensive play and lack of physicality. But he moves the puck well and has a good shot. I understand the signing but this player isn’t going to all of a sudden become an Alex Pietrangelo or a John Carlson.
Pretty much.

I already mentioned Doc's love affair with Gudbranson in a prior post. Seems the good doctor is rather hung up on how many minutes a player gets regardless of whether or not they play on a shitty team. :P
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:18 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:09 am Doc also called Erik Gudbranson a legit top 4 d man.

Pretty much.

I already mentioned Doc's love affair with Gudbranson in a prior post. Seems the good doctor is rather hung up on how many minutes a player gets regardless of whether or not they play on a shitty team. :P
Yeah it was pointed out to him that Gudbranson was fifth in ice time on this garbage fire but he still insisted he was a top 4 d last year.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

A few hits and a few rushes from Myers,and his size alone will impress the fans for a while. He's way better than Guds.
Guds was bewildered. His thoughts were elsewhere. Never will get why he could only embrace the moment once in a while.
I'm betting Myers will be a fan fave. Will look real big in that white home Orca uni.

If Myers and Hughes ever play together, that'll get some air-time on North American Hockey highlights, night versions.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:30 am A few hits and a few rushes from Myers,and his size alone will impress the fans for a while. He's way better than Guds.
Guds was bewildered. His thoughts were elsewhere. Never will get why he could only embrace the moment once in a while.
I'm betting Myers will be a fan fave. Will look real big in that white home Orca uni.

If Myers and Hughes ever play together, that'll get some air-time on North American Hockey highlights, night versions.
White home jersey?