How did Jimmy do

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

How did GMJB do on day 1 of FA

A
19%
B+
38%
B
38%
C
No votes
D
4%
Fail
No votes

Total votes: 26

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: How did Jimmy do

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:05 pm I think our defense is finally sound for once.

Most Cup championship defenses are experienced, besides goaltending, defense is one of the hardest positions to develop.

I think Myers out of the shade of Buff and Trouba could flourish especially if he has a stable partner like Edler.

Benn is a superb depth dman, will provide character and grit, should be a great fit beside Stecher imo.

Hughes - Tanev seems like a no brainer, Tanev stay at home - so Q can go all out offensively.
SKYO!

Don't ever leave us again. :evil:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:37 pm
SKYO wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:05 pm I think our defense is finally sound for once.

Most Cup championship defenses are experienced, besides goaltending, defense is one of the hardest positions to develop.

I think Myers out of the shade of Buff and Trouba could flourish especially if he has a stable partner like Edler.

Benn is a superb depth dman, will provide character and grit, should be a great fit beside Stecher imo.

Hughes - Tanev seems like a no brainer, Tanev stay at home - so Q can go all out offensively.
SKYO!

Don't ever leave us again. :evil:
aha bruh I had the flu bad, felt like I was gonna die.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

I have a really long even by uwsaint standards post in my head about this.

But I'll try to explain only a little:

(1) How did Jimmy do needs to be looked at since this offseason began. This offseason started when the Canucks were no longer seriously in the playoff hunt.

(2) The team should have two goals: in the next 2 years, they need to make the playoffs. 3-4 years out, they need to be a contender. That's the purpose of the rebuild, that's the time horizon, and that's the metric on which this activity needs to be judged.

(3) The Canucks biggest need was D -- both in the NHL and near NHL-ready depth in the prospect line. JB has done very well, from the college signings, to getting one of the 2 UFAs that can actually impact the goals above (especially the first goal), to resigning Edler (huge), to not resigning Edler for more than 2 years (also huge). Myers--and I am in the Myers-is-a-good-player camp--carries a risk, but you don't move forward without risk. The alternatives would have been to move for Barrie, Trouba, or Subban, but (1) Trouba wouldn't sign long term, (2) Barrie is in Hughes' lane (we need a complement not a clone), and (3) is Subban the guy you want to spend $9 million on in 3 years when you need to be in contention zone? Myers isn't the over-the-top-to-contender answer either, but that's a problem that can still be addressed.

(4) The Canucks second biggest need was at forward. Here, results are mixed, but current assets are more appropriate directed to the D problem. Pearson was a steal, killing two birds with one stone. Miller is going to improve the group, but together they won't make the Canucks dangerous, likely only respectable. Canucks still need one of Baertschi, Goldobin, Gaudette, Virtanen needs to take a step forward, but this is so much better than before the Pearson trade, isn't it? Miller came at a cost, though. I'm not sure it will work, but I note that the signing fits the goals. UFAs would be approaching or past sell-by dates during year 3-4; Miller shouldn't be. (Pearson's contract ends in 2 and decisions can be made then).

(5) The Canucks need to shed mediocrity. Here, JB gets at best a gentlemen's C. EG out was a stroke of brilliance, but beyond that JB has been unable to get any value from the excess. Smart to cut Hutton and Granlund and Pouilot and Gaunce, but honestly, what makes cutting the forwards among them smart is that the roster still has Sutter and Beagle -- two guys who at a combined $7.4 M combine to AT BEST provide an average third line center and AT BEST only the most marginal on-ice product over Gaudette -- Schaller and Eriksson. People are getting cut eventually, cut the ones that you don't totally control the costs and aren't going to make a big difference, but man it would have been nice to see a little value return or shed the biggest weights on the salary. There is still some time.

(6) The Canucks needed to improve their near NHL ready prospect pool on defense. Rafferty and Teves helped that a lot (as well as getting Hughes to leave Michigan). Now the Canucks have 4 potential top 4 D who might be established or emerge by the contender window (Woo, Rafferty, Juolevi, Hughes) and more potential cheap call ups and bottom pairing roster adds without going to free agency. Payoffs with B-C prospects are a game of numbers; the numbers are now better.
Hono_rary Canadian
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I gave him a B, D needed help and he did it without any stupid contracts.

Playoffs here we come, if they win a round I may even use the G word.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Very nice, UW!
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:36 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:44 am
micky107 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:07 am B+ one top six winger short. fuck recapture.
Agreed, fuck recapture, but Jimbo has known this is a possibility for as long as he’s been here in Van. Not hard to budget for it if you can see it coming from a mile away. It’s not a valid excuse.
Except Jimmy DID budget for it and Recap penalty IS an "excuse" (these guys usually go LTIR).
Which is it? Did he budget for it, or did he expect him to go on LTIR? Can't be both.

Jimbo was surprised by it which means he didn't budget for it. It's should have known this might be coming and if he did he did a terrible job of planning for it.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:08 pm I have a really long even by uwsaint standards post in my head about this.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Yeah Doc!! Diehard has gotta know if you can read Jimbro's mind!! :D

(opposed to having a plan flexible enough to go either way)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:35 pm Yeah Doc!! Diehard has gotta know if you can read Jimbro's mind!! :D

(opposed to having a plan flexible enough to go either way)
Diehard at this point:

____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:32 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:47 am I was actually worried Benn was going to get $3M per. $2M isn't bad, although I'm not sure how $2M for Benn is much better than $700K for Schenn.....

Myers is overpaid, but not drastically. He will be playing a top-4 role here so $6M isn't bad, in fact it's quite good for a July 1 signing. The crappy part is that Myers is a 3rd pairing guy on a good team, here he's currently our #3.

If Benning can find a way to get out from under Eriksson's contract without selling too much else he will get an A+ for this off-season. Eriksson all but tanked his own value this spring with his comments, Benning should talk to a cap floor team and offer them Loui and a 2021 3rd for a 7th.
Myers has never been a "3rd pairing guy".

Myers has averaged 22:21 minutes per game throughout his career.

(24:04 in the playoffs)

Don't believe the bullshit being pushed by the Benning Bashers.
It's not bullshit from Benning bashers.

Myers was 3rd pairing for much of the year in Winnipeg.....a good team with a deep blueline.

I don't base my arguments on just minutes played. By those metrics Sutter could be seen to be a top-6 forward at times. Which is completely laughable.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Maybe they wouldve gone farther in the playoffs if TM got the prime minutes. ;)
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:08 pm I have a really long even by uwsaint standards post in my head about this.

But I'll try to explain only a little:

(1) How did Jimmy do needs to be looked at since this offseason began. This offseason started when the Canucks were no longer seriously in the playoff hunt.

(2) The team should have two goals: in the next 2 years, they need to make the playoffs. 3-4 years out, they need to be a contender. That's the purpose of the rebuild, that's the time horizon, and that's the metric on which this activity needs to be judged.

(3) The Canucks biggest need was D -- both in the NHL and near NHL-ready depth in the prospect line. JB has done very well, from the college signings, to getting one of the 2 UFAs that can actually impact the goals above (especially the first goal), to resigning Edler (huge), to not resigning Edler for more than 2 years (also huge). Myers--and I am in the Myers-is-a-good-player camp--carries a risk, but you don't move forward without risk. The alternatives would have been to move for Barrie, Trouba, or Subban, but (1) Trouba wouldn't sign long term, (2) Barrie is in Hughes' lane (we need a complement not a clone), and (3) is Subban the guy you want to spend $9 million on in 3 years when you need to be in contention zone? Myers isn't the over-the-top-to-contender answer either, but that's a problem that can still be addressed.
Barrie is a RSD, Hughes a LSD. I don't think it's a bad thing to have two guys like that who can push the puck on alternate pairings at even strength. If anything it makes for one extremely potent PP blueline, or two strong ones. If they were both playing the same side, then maybe I see them as being in the same "lane". But balancing muscle and mobility on the blueline is something that has made the best pairings in the game what they are. Honestly, if Myers pans out and proves to be a reliable top-4 guy who can actually play defense (which is where many say the majority of his warts are), and if Hughes blossoms quickly into a puck moving guy on the left side, then I would be in favour of signing Barrie next summer to pair with Edler and have Myers ride the right side with Hughes. This is only if Barrie comes at a reasonable price, which I doubt he will unless UDL and Doc's suspicions are true and Barrie expressed his desire to Sakic to do what Joe never did and come home to play in Vancity.

I fully agree with what you say about Trouba and Subban, and that point will apply to a 28 going 29 year old Barrie next summer if he's actually in consideration.
(5) The Canucks need to shed mediocrity. Here, JB gets at best a gentlemen's C. EG out was a stroke of brilliance, but beyond that JB has been unable to get any value from the excess. Smart to cut Hutton and Granlund and Pouilot and Gaunce, but honestly, what makes cutting the forwards among them smart is that the roster still has Sutter and Beagle -- two guys who at a combined $7.4 M combine to AT BEST provide an average third line center and AT BEST only the most marginal on-ice product over Gaudette -- Schaller and Eriksson. People are getting cut eventually, cut the ones that you don't totally control the costs and aren't going to make a big difference, but man it would have been nice to see a little value return or shed the biggest weights on the salary. There is still some time.

(6) The Canucks needed to improve their near NHL ready prospect pool on defense. Rafferty and Teves helped that a lot (as well as getting Hughes to leave Michigan). Now the Canucks have 4 potential top 4 D who might be established or emerge by the contender window (Woo, Rafferty, Juolevi, Hughes) and more potential cheap call ups and bottom pairing roster adds without going to free agency. Payoffs with B-C prospects are a game of numbers; the numbers are now better.
Like you said, there's still some time. I still maintain that Benning gets an A this year if he can get out from under Eriksson's cap hit by hook or by crook. I don't want to see him do that only to replace Loui with a guy like Nyqvist though, I feel like that's just another risk on a former 25 goal scorer that could blow up in our faces again.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:45 pm Maybe they wouldve gone farther in the playoffs if TM got the prime minutes. ;)
Maybe they would have. But the analytics apparently indicate that Myers deserved to be where he was.

I really don't think this is a terrible signing. Jimmy got an established NHL defenseman in the UFA market for a meager raise over his last season salary, and the term is good too.

The last couple off-seasons around the league are bearing out that many RFA's are going to be asking for contracts that pay them reasonably well but only take them until their mid 20's so that they can cash in on the 7 and 8 year terms when teams are more willing to pay the top dollars because there is minimal risk of age-related decline.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:34 pm
Yeah, I feel a bit gypped myself.....that wasn't overly long by UW. :P
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:20 pm It's not bullshit from Benning bashers.

Myers was 3rd pairing for much of the year in Winnipeg.....a good team with a deep blueline.

I don't base my arguments on just minutes played.
Okay I guess a person could say he's the 3rd best RHD on a team with a ridiculous abundance of star RHDs

... and that makes him a 3rd pairing guy on that particular team

... if one looked it at through just that peculiar lens.

And that... by that silly metric he's a 3rd pairing guy on a ridiculously unbalanced NHL team in the modern era.

But the person saying that would have to be some kind of a twisted contortionist in my humble opinion.

I was responding to you simply stating "he's a 3rd pairing guy on a good team".

Well you couldn't be more wrong if you were caught with a gerbil up yo ass.

You have yet to present any sort of an argument in this matter btw.

I think it's just super duper awesome that you "don't base your arguments on just minutes played"!

Good for you Meddy... GOOD FOR YOU!! :thumbs:

But in saying "just minutes played" you are inferring said minutes played are indeed a factor.

I submit that when one considers ALL the factors...

... unbalanced team

... three star right hand defencemen

... minutes played by Mr Myers in that particular situation

... minutes played by Mr Myers in other situations throughout his career

... that any right-thinking non-contortionist would come to the inescapable conclusion

... that Mr Myers is a top-4 defenseman on a good team.

Good day sir.
____
Try to focus on someday.