How did Jimmy do

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

How did GMJB do on day 1 of FA

A
19%
B+
38%
B
38%
C
No votes
D
4%
Fail
No votes

Total votes: 26

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: How did Jimmy do

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:14 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:12 am
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:08 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:23 am Gave him a B+. He didn't bend over for Myers, but I don't think we'll enjoy that contract in a couple years.
Lol, there’s no such thing as an enjoyable contract given to UFA’s in there late 20’s. This is league wide, always has been, always will be. That being said, Myers who is 29 now will be 34 when the contract ends. Edler just signed a $6 million per year contract for 2 years, he’s 33, 4 years older than Myers. Nobody is complaining about that contract.
Edler is a much better player.
Still in the sandbox I see
Still have your head lodged in your ass I see
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:17 am
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:13 am
Mëds wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:47 am I was actually worried Benn was going to get $3M per. $2M isn't bad, although I'm not sure how $2M for Benn is much better than $700K for Schenn.....
There are a few here who think Benn is a special player cause of his last name. Jordie Benn should be doing back flips on his way to the bank making $2 Million per year.
Fake news. People wanted a cheap decent option to stabilize the bottom pairing. Hutton was up and down like a whores pants in his time here, though I think it may have went better for him if he didn’t have to lug around Erik Gudbranson. Paying Benn 2 million is smarter than paying Hutton 4 +.
With Benn and Hughes able to play both sides (versatile) if we can sign Hutton back at 2.5 or less, I would totally do it. At some point this season, Tanev and Edler will both be hurt at the same time (just like always). We will need the depth, and it also allows us to move on from Tanev should everyone be (miraculously) healthy.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

I would give him a B+ for right now. The term for who he signed is not crazy and I don't think will come to bite us in the ass later. The problems we are having now are for contracts that were signed a few years ago. Sutter's is bad due to injuries. Eriksson's, is well, my god, that is an awful signing. Our only hope is for a team like Ottawa is willing to take it on for the cap hit to get to the cap floor.

I would give him an A if he gets Boeser signed for a reasonable contract before training camp starts.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:53 am With Benn and Hughes able to play both sides (versatile) if we can sign Hutton back at 2.5 or less, I would totally do it.
I think I'm of the same mindset. Injuries WILL happen, and are they actually sold on Stetcher? Obviously,Team Canada didn't invite Hutton to the Worlds, so there's that.

I assume they are really hoping Juolevi makes the team out of camp.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

B+ one top six winger short. fuck recapture.
"evolution"
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

micky107 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:07 am B+ one top six winger short. fuck recapture.
Agreed, fuck recapture, but Jimbo has known this is a possibility for as long as he’s been here in Van. Not hard to budget for it if you can see it coming from a mile away. It’s not a valid excuse.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

theman wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:30 am I would give him a B+ for right now. The term for who he signed is not crazy and I don't think will come to bite us in the ass later. The problems we are having now are for contracts that were signed a few years ago. Sutter's is bad due to injuries. Eriksson's, is well, my god, that is an awful signing. Our only hope is for a team like Ottawa is willing to take it on for the cap hit to get to the cap floor.

I would give him an A if he gets Boeser signed for a reasonable contract before training camp starts.
Loui is gone, it’s just a question of if he’s traded, in the minors or if there’s some other way to get rid of the contract like retirement. He won’t play again in Van I don’t think.

And yes, it’s an awful contract.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Diehard1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:44 am
micky107 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:07 am B+ one top six winger short. fuck recapture.
Agreed, fuck recapture, but Jimbo has known this is a possibility for as long as he’s been here in Van. Not hard to budget for it if you can see it coming from a mile away. It’s not a valid excuse.
Ya, I know; no takers for, well, ya.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I think our defense is finally sound for once.

Most Cup championship defenses are experienced, besides goaltending, defense is one of the hardest positions to develop.

I think Myers out of the shade of Buff and Trouba could flourish especially if he has a stable partner like Edler.

Benn is a superb depth dman, will provide character and grit, should be a great fit beside Stecher imo.

Hughes - Tanev seems like a no brainer, Tanev stay at home - so Q can go all out offensively.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:05 pm I think our defense is finally sound for once.

Most Cup championship defenses are experienced, besides goaltending, defense is one of the hardest positions to develop.

I think Myers out of the shade of Buff and Trouba could flourish especially if he has a stable partner like Edler.

Benn is a superb depth dman, will provide character and grit, should be a great fit beside Stecher imo.

Hughes - Tanev seems like a no brainer, Tanev stay at home - so Q can go all out offensively.
They also have - for once - a heap of dmen prospects who are waiver-exempt. To actually have defensive depth that can play on the farm instead of sitting in the press box is huge.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

So far so good. I'm happy to give him a "B" at this point.

He's improved the D - a year too late, but still, we look better going in to next year.

He's improved the top 6.

He still needs to deal with Loui, and that will affect his final grade. Brock's contract shouldn't change Jim's marks too much.

As I expected, he's going all-in this year with a push for the playoffs - whether that's his plan all along, a bid to save his job or a message from the top - it's the direction we're heading.

Looking ahead, the only thing I'm really hoping for is a STABLE line for Bo (or should I say, "Captain Bo"?) - the revolving doors on his wings needs to stop.

D pairings look ok, Marky made me a believer, and Demko should only be better next year.

We might still see some late September depth added (bottom 6) but then this team can never have enough depth to deal with injuries.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:13 am
Mëds wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:47 am I was actually worried Benn was going to get $3M per. $2M isn't bad, although I'm not sure how $2M for Benn is much better than $700K for Schenn.....
There are a few here who think Benn is a special player cause of his last name.
This is exceptionally rich coming from the guy who defends the player with "SUTTER" on his name bar.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Myers is overpaid, but not drastically. He will be playing a top-4 role here so $6M isn't bad, in fact it's quite good for a July 1 signing. The crappy part is that Myers is a 3rd pairing guy on a good team, here he's currently our #3.

If Benning can find a way to get out from under Eriksson's contract without selling too much else he will get an A+ for this off-season. Eriksson all but tanked his own value this spring with his comments, Benning should talk to a cap floor team and offer them Loui and a 2021 3rd for a 7th.
Myers has never been a "3rd pairing guy".

Myers has averaged 22:21 minutes per game throughout his career.

(24:04 in the playoffs)

Don't believe the bullshit being pushed by the Benning Bashers.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

:D
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:56 am A solid C+
And yet there is no C+ option and no one voted C.

Gee, I wonder who voted D...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:44 am
Except Jimmy DID budget for it and Recap penalty IS an "excuse" (these guys usually go LTIR).
____
Try to focus on someday.